Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Verified Member

Default Font size

I have often wondered why some use larger font size than others. I have probably done it myself in the past although I couldn't tell you when. Does it represent the user's estimation of the importance of his words vs. the words of others? Does it represent shouting? Does it turn comments into 'Uber Comments'? What is it? What does it mean? Does anyone know or have any guesses? I'm very interested to hear what others think.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petie View Post
I have often wondered why some use larger font size than others. I have probably done it myself in the past although I couldn't tell you when. Does it represent the user's estimation of the importance of his words vs. the words of others? Does it represent shouting? Does it turn comments into 'Uber Comments'? What is it? What does it mean? Does anyone know or have any guesses? I'm very interested to hear what others think.
If it's the poster's customary font size, it's probably just the size that's easiest for him to read. If it's used only occasionally or only for parts of a post, then it's probably for emphasis (for one reason or another).

Then sometimes there's no telling why...

pj
chgo
Old 10-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Some people may genuinely see larger text better, so it may mean nothing more than that. Caps, bold text and larger font are all used for emphasis -- rarely with appropriate moderation and unfortunately very often in excess. All are considered poor etiquette in forums -- i.e. shouting. The bottom line is that some posters (and we certainly have our share) seem to want to be 100% agreed with, and want everyone to capitulate to their opinion or viewpoint, and if they feel like they are not getting that acknowledgement (I think they see it as not getting through), then they tend to ratchet up -- bolder, bigger and more capitalized in their effort to MAKE US UNDERSTAND.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
Some people may genuinely see larger text better, so it may mean nothing more than that. Caps, bold text and larger font are all used for emphasis -- rarely with appropriate moderation and unfortunately very often in excess. All are considered poor etiquette in forums -- i.e. shouting. The bottom line is that some posters (and we certainly have our share) seem to want to be 100% agreed with, and want everyone to capitulate to their opinion or viewpoint, and if they feel like they are not getting that acknowledgement (I think they see it as not getting through), then they tend to ratchet up -- bolder, bigger and more capitalized.
I don't like to my glasses ALL the time on the computer, they give me a headache! That's why I use #3 font size always!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
Some people may genuinely see larger text better, so it may mean nothing more than that. Caps, bold text and larger font are all used for emphasis -- rarely with appropriate moderation and unfortunately very often in excess. All are considered poor etiquette in forums -- i.e. shouting. The bottom line is that some posters (and we certainly have our share) seem to want to be 100% agreed with, and want everyone to capitulate to their opinion or viewpoint, and if they feel like they are not getting that acknowledgement (I think they see it as not getting through), then they tend to ratchet up -- bolder, bigger and more capitalized in their effort to MAKE US UNDERSTAND.
Wait, are you saying BIG, BOLD, ALL CAPS, IN A BRIGHT COLOR doesn't mean it's indisputably true?

pj <- learn somethin' erry day
chgo
Old 10-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
PetiE, wHat doeS thIs Mean?.....
Old 10-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
I use caps and sometimes bold font to emphasise something in a post. I think as a rule, all caps means talking loud or yelling, and sometimes us old guys use bigger or bold because we can't see well.

I suppose constantly using them is to make sure we understand the key points and importance (To the poster) of a post.

They are aggravating though, as I am sure my use of ( ) is to some posters.

I guess any addition out of the norm suggests the readers need help comprehending the meaning.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Verified Member

Sometimes folks want to just stand out, even if it's not practical..

And sometimes you want to have some fun at another's expense. I know I do.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
If it's the poster's customary font size, it's probably just the size that's easiest for him to read. If it's used only occasionally or only for parts of a post, then it's probably for emphasis (for one reason or another).

Then sometimes there's no telling why...

pj
chgo
Click on 'Page' on the Tools bar at the top of your screen. The Popup menu has a Zoom tool. Choose any Zoom you wish and your screen will be magnified to the chosen Zoom. It doesn't send that size out--just lets you see your screen better.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
PetiE, wHat doeS thIs Mean?.....
You're a huckleberry.

Last edited by petie; 10-26-2014 at 02:46 PM.