Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-21-2015, 05:11 PM
jrhendy's Avatar
jrhendy jrhendy is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 4,480
Default Buffalo's, Who You Like & Why

Here is my guestimate for this event

Alex - If he plays like he did at Derby City, they are playing for second place. But what has he been doing lately? Hard to stay focused and on top months later.

Scott - One of the best but has been concentrating on qualifying for the Mosconi Cup. Maybe lost a step?

T-Rex - Former US Open One Pocket Champion is back with a vengeance and hungry. When he gets it rolling his high end is unstoppable. My pick to win it all.
__________________
JOHN HENDERSON
Al Romero Cue
Mezz Chalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Miller's Avatar
Miller Miller is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East St. Louis Area
Posts: 4,024
Default

I think probably any of these guys are capable of winning it, but for argument sake, my picks are Alex, Corey, Justin B.

Here's the rationale on my guesses:

Alex - I think either he or Orcollo are probably the best in the world right now.

Corey - When he's on, he's on. I think only Bustamante has been more consistent over the last few years in major tournament play. Has a tendency to out-think himself (i.e. US Open vs Orcollo).

Justin B. - Pockets balls as good as anyone, controls whitey as good as anyone (I don't think people generally realize/associate that about him). He had a go at a tournament similar to this in southern Missouri last fall and should be confident/comfortable this time around.

Should be several good days of one pocket! I envy you guys that are able to be there.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2015, 07:09 PM
gulfportdoc's Avatar
gulfportdoc gulfportdoc is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gulfport, Mississippi
Posts: 9,186
Default

The players:

Corey Deuel
Alex Pagulayan
Chip Compton
Joey Gray
Chris Bartram
Jason Brown
Mika Immonen
Danny Smith
Scott Frost
Justin Hall
Richie Richeson
Joshua Roberts
Justin Bergman
Jeremy Jones
Tony Chohan
Cliff Joyner


I'd like to see Scott get it, but he's not a good bet in tournaments. The longer races will help him, though. Alex certainly has the talent. He could win it, or finish down in the bottom tier along with Bartram, Joyner, Immonen, and Richeson. I wouldn't be surprised to see Justin Hall do well, if he can fade the wet tables. And Jason Brown could certainly surprise everybody!

~Doc
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2015, 10:35 PM
SJDinPHX's Avatar
SJDinPHX SJDinPHX is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
Here is my guestimate for this event

Alex - If he plays like he did at Derby City, they are playing for second place. But what has he been doing lately? Hard to stay focused and on top months later.

Scott - One of the best but has been concentrating on qualifying for the Mosconi Cup. Maybe lost a step?

T-Rex - Former US Open One Pocket Champion is back with a vengeance and hungry. When he gets it rolling his high end is unstoppable. My pick to win it all.
Race to 5 is a little better, but with a group like this, a few good/bad rolls can still turn a favorite, into a dog !..Its hard to bet against Alex, not being among the last few..He always seems to rise to the occasion !..I would have to bet on the Lion, but I will be pulling for T-Rex or Scott !
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2015, 04:25 PM
jrhendy's Avatar
jrhendy jrhendy is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 4,480
Default Tables

Looks like those wet tight tables are slowing down the ball runners. I have seen some shots hit pretty good just pop out and the players are going to a more pocket speed offense.
__________________
JOHN HENDERSON
Al Romero Cue
Mezz Chalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2015, 05:20 PM
petie petie is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Citrus Springs, FL
Posts: 3,314
Default

Seeing this field reminds me of how tough these guys, our champions, have it. They all play very stiff, by that I mean good. Add to that the fact that conditions are not great and the payoffs won't pay most of them for food and lodging. I like John's assessment of the players but I don't rank Scott so high anymore. He could be there but I think he gets sidetracked easily.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-24-2015, 09:49 AM
jrhendy's Avatar
jrhendy jrhendy is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Placerville, CA
Posts: 4,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
Here is my guestimate for this event

Alex - If he plays like he did at Derby City, they are playing for second place. But what has he been doing lately? Hard to stay focused and on top months later.

Scott - One of the best but has been concentrating on qualifying for the Mosconi Cup. Maybe lost a step?

T-Rex - Former US Open One Pocket Champion is back with a vengeance and hungry. When he gets it rolling his high end is unstoppable. My pick to win it all.
Well I missed the trifecta, my horse ran fourth. Story of my life. Good luck to Alex, Scott and Jeremy. The young guns got outgunned.

Great tournament so far and Alex will be hard to beat twice. Scott had a chance to go hill/hill and got too aggressive and it cost him. Scott and JJ should be a great match.
__________________
JOHN HENDERSON
Al Romero Cue
Mezz Chalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-24-2015, 10:09 AM
petie petie is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Citrus Springs, FL
Posts: 3,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
Well I missed the trifecta, my horse ran fourth. Story of my life. Good luck to Alex, Scott and Jeremy. The young guns got outgunned.

Great tournament so far and Alex will be hard to beat twice. Scott had a chance to go hill/hill and got too aggressive and it cost him. Scott and JJ should be a great match.
I'm with you, John. I was rootin' for Tony. We haven't seen the last of him.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-24-2015, 12:45 PM
gulfportdoc's Avatar
gulfportdoc gulfportdoc is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gulfport, Mississippi
Posts: 9,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
Well I missed the trifecta, my horse ran fourth. Story of my life. Good luck to Alex, Scott and Jeremy. The young guns got outgunned.

Great tournament so far and Alex will be hard to beat twice. Scott had a chance to go hill/hill and got too aggressive and it cost him. Scott and JJ should be a great match.
I think you're right on about the Scott/JJ match. If Scott wins it, having played a master 1P player/mover will have prepared him to go up against Alex again. Perhaps he'll play a little tighter.

Playing on the TV table will benefit both players, but perhaps more so Scott. The pockets are a little more forgiving than table #2, and the additional lighting for TV will keep the table drier.

One can never count out Jeremy Jones, but it'll be tough for him, as it was in their first match, to fade Frost's firepower.

BTW, anyone know JJ's age? I discussed it with the Hacker, and he thought he was mid-forties. But I thought he was more 50, or even early fifties.

~Doc
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-24-2015, 12:51 PM
androd's Avatar
androd androd is offline
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Braunfels tx.
Posts: 7,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
I think you're right on about the Scott/JJ match. If Scott wins it, having played a master 1P player/mover will have prepared him to go up against Alex again. Perhaps he'll play a little tighter.

Playing on the TV table will benefit both players, but perhaps more so Scott. The pockets are a little more forgiving than table #2, and the additional lighting for TV will keep the table drier.

One can never count out Jeremy Jones, but it'll be tough for him, as it was in their first match, to fade Frost's firepower.

BTW, anyone know JJ's age? I discussed it with the Hacker, and he thought he was mid-forties. But I thought he was more 50, or even early fifties.

~Doc
I don't know but I believe Hacker is correct about mid forties.
It seems he was around the room late 80's or so and was 19 years at the time.
Rod.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All original content Copyright Onepocket.org and/or the original author. All rights reserved.