Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Verified Member

Default An old pool room debate at LeCue

Just throwing it out there, because we used to argue back and forth about this in the pool room when we weren't playing. As I remember it, no one ever completely proved his case, whichever side he was on. Both are very tough to master.

Here's the wdyt ( what do you think )
Which individual sport is the hardest to master, i.e. top 1 thru 10 level player?

(1) a professional golfer
(2) a professional one pocket player

Remember, gotta make it to the recognized top 10 in the world.

I want to take a straw poll just to see if it's as divided as it used to be.

You may simply cast your vote, with or without reasoning, but it was always more fun to try and prove your point.

Hey, I'm 72, with lots of time on my hands!

Go ahead and vote, I'm the one that looks stupid for posting this! Lol
Old 05-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Verified Member

To make it into the top ten? I'm not sure that one-pocket would even be in the top ten of difficulty.

Golf would win this comparison, hands down. There are hundreds of thousands of good golfers in the world. There are truck loads of money in golf; and to even scratch the surface is brutal. Are there even a thousand good 1P players?

~Doc
Old 05-13-2015, 07:45 PM
Verified Member

Hey Jeff, just for your future information, when you start a new thread, you can choose to add a poll as an option (it's near the bottom of the screen when starting a thread).
Old 05-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfportdoc View Post
To make it into the top ten? I'm not sure that one-pocket would even be in the top ten of difficulty.

Golf would win this comparison, hands down. There are hundreds of thousands of good golfers in the world. There are truck loads of money in golf; and to even scratch the surface is brutal. Are there even a thousand good 1P players?

~Doc
Doc

Good isn't the operative word on this wdyt, great is, top 10 in the world. Are you saying it would be much easier to make it to the top 10 playing golf because of the money offered?

Or are you saying it would be harder?
Old 05-13-2015, 07:56 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff sparks View Post
Just throwing it out there, because we used to argue back and forth about this in the pool room when we weren't playing. As I remember it, no one ever completely proved his case, whichever side he was on. Both are very tough to master.

Here's the wdyt ( what do you think )
Which individual sport is the hardest to master, i.e. top 1 thru 10 level player?

(1) a professional golfer
(2) a professional one pocket player

Remember, gotta make it to the recognized top 10 in the world.

I want to take a straw poll just to see if it's as divided as it used to be.

You may simply cast your vote, with or without reasoning, but it was always more fun to try and prove your point.

Hey, I'm 72, with lots of time on my hands!

Go ahead and vote, I'm the one that looks stupid for posting this! Lol
Obviously the same because exactly 10 of each makes it.

On the other hand:

There are more REALLY good golfers to pass on the way to the top;
Golf requires more in physical ability;

One pocket requires more experience, knowledge, tactical and strategic thinking and decision-making.

The two seem roughly equal regarding the percentage of the population with the natural ability to excel given the right preparation.

I see the question as asking which sport would allow a higher percentage of the population a chance to achieve top 10 status, and on that scale I rate them as too close to call.

To a different question: Which sport is more difficult to achieve a reasonable degree of competence (just under shortstop/3-5 handicap) I'd say pool in general is easier than golf.

(But hitting major league pitching is harder than either)
Old 05-13-2015, 08:53 PM
Verified Member

When they can bank one off a tree, I'll agree golf is tougher.
Rod
P.S. In the old days everyone could get golf lessons, but no one gave pool lessons.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:17 PM
Verified Member

Golf is tougher because there are so many more people playing it at a professional level. How many professional one pocket players are there? 250? 150? Fewer? The money in golf creates an incentive for many more to try to make it their profession, so you have to be that much better to distinguish yourself in such a field.

The best one pocket player in the world struggles to make a middle class living with his great skill. It is a subspeciality within cue sports and many of the best cue sports players do not play one pocket. There is just very little incentive for other cue sports greats to specialize in one pocket because it is not played much outside the United States. When is the last one pocket tournament held outside the United States? Has there ever been one on a professional scale?

Taking skill aside, the sheer number of people you have to get through in golf to be top 10 makes it much more difficult. Top 10 in golf fluctuates every year. Does the top 10 in one pocket do that?
Old 05-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Verified Member

I have no doubt that golf is harder to master, mechanically, because of the many more moving parts and the duration of each action. Mentally, I also have no doubt that one-pocket is much harder, because of the multitude of options before the player. Golf is similar to nine-ball, in that your next shot is prescribed for you. All you need is for the caddy to give you the right club.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:08 PM
Verified Member

Easy answer. Formula 1 race car driver. You need about 200Million per season (note link is in British Pounds but you get the idea).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...out-of-control

Nick B

Name: Nick Beretanos
Old 05-13-2015, 11:34 PM
Verified Member

We haven't even talked about the golfer's need to be able play all the different courses and conditions. Pool players whine when it's humid or the table isn't clean. Imagine playing one pocket in a light rain, with 15 mph winds and it's 45 degrees? Or in 105 degree heat, with tables so fast you can't stop your ball?

In a one pocket match, you are playing one opponent. The golfer is playing the whole field, so he can't push all the balls up table and be conservative. He must play hard every shot because somebody could catch fire behind him and leave him in the dust if he just decides par is ok every hole.

I love one pocket like the rest of us, but I am under no illusion about what it takes to be an elite golfer. You don't see any 60 year old golfers in the top 10.