Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Verified Member

Default Tell us your first big win??

Or your biggest win??

When you were up and coming and this was either your strongest opponent or the most cash you had played for. The one where you walked outside afterwards in jubilation like Fast Eddie in the Color of Money.

For me, it was a local player, who only plays for 2-300 a game. The whale lol. I had never stepped up to that level before, but finally decided to take a swing. I had only been playing 1p for about 2 years and he knew that, and agreed to give me 9-7 for 250 a game, and I ended up winning 750 before he quit and said that he would only play me even in the future. I realize this is likely very small potatoes to many of you guys, but for me the big deal was playing for that much per game, with lots of sweaters, and holding up. It was a big confidence boost and my biggest score by far at the time.

P.S. It is 5 years later, and I beat the same guy playing even yesterday 😉.

Now.... Please share yours!!!! 😁.

First big win and/or biggest Win????

Last edited by Mkbtank; 04-20-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:05 AM
Verified Member

Way to take it off, Mitch! Anyone who says playing for 300 a game is "small potatoes" is just a braggard.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:07 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightback View Post
Way to take it off, Mitch! Anyone who says playing for 300 a game is "small potatoes" is just a braggard.

No. Make no mistake.. It was and is huge to me.... But I know the guys here play for thousands.

So since you replied..... Come on Dan. Tell your best win story. The money doesn't mean anything. Tell when you earned that "Feeling".

Last edited by Mkbtank; 04-20-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbtank View Post
No. Make no mistake.. It was and is huge to me.... But I know the guys here play for thousands.

So since you replied..... Come on Dan. Tell your best win story. The money doesn't mean anything. Tell when you earned that "Feeling".
It is hard for me to say because I constantly play over my head - there is a nice group of great players here in my town, some of which play near-pro level, and most games go off for reasonable amounts.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbtank View Post
It was a big confidence boost and my biggest score by far at the time.
No big or any wins right now... could change someday.
Anyway great score. Nice playing. Having the skill and believing in yourself is everything. I admire your confidence.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:12 AM
Verified Member

Thanks Frank. Now on to other people! Let's hear it. Rod?? Hacker?? Jeff .
Old 04-20-2015, 11:56 AM
Verified Member

Cool big win? confidence...

I kind of liked running 8 and out twice in a row against the Ghost at derby... a definite boost in confidence for me... just saying... lol

B
Old 04-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Verified Member

My biggest was the week before i left Colorado Springs to move to Ky 17rs ago.
There was a old snooker table we used to all play golf on. I think that games been going on for 40yrs.... Anyway, the week before i moved i beat a guy who owned the strip club next door playing golf out of 3000.00 and won again a few days later for another two after i told him i was moving and he tried to get even. After that i also hit every football parlay and games bet on including Monday night. >For another 4500. So i doubled my bankroll for the move....lol I'm not a big gambler and have never even lost over a few hundred before or since so it was a huge score for me.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Verified Member

Default Score

Not my biggest and not playing one pocket, but a good one with a lesson to be learned somewhere.

It was the sixties and a guy named Jerry Henry would take me around sometimes to the bars. Jerry's brother was Dick Henry, a very good pool player who had gone to Colorado by this time. Jerry could not play but loved to gamble. Those that remember Dick also remember he was a little strange and his brother was too. I grew up almost across the street from them and my brother went to school with Jerry.

Anyway, Jerry picks me up and we go to a bar he knew where there was a ditch digging service next door and half a dozen of the equipment operators hung out there and played pool. We get there and Jerry starts barking about gambling with the foreman of the crew and while they are going back and forth a ball game is about to start on tv. It is the Dodgers agains the Giants and Marichal is pitching for the Giants. Jerry wants the Dodgers and they are arguing what to bet. Jerry calls the waitress over and tell her to grab a handful of $$ out of his pocket and that will be the bet. The other guy agrees and she pulls out almost $300 which is most of the bankroll. The Giants score 8 or 9 runs in the first inning and we are out of there without me hitting a ball.

Next Friday I go back after work with a twenty dollar bill in my pocket. The ditch diggers are playing eight ball for $5 a game. I challenge the table and four or five want to side bet. I tell them no, I dog it for more $$ and $5 was fine. Pretty soon I have a little bankroll and start taking the side bets and raising the bet. After a while we are playing for $50 and there are still side bets. They finally figure out I can play and make a call. They keep playing to keep me there. A stranger comes in and asks to play for $100 a game. I agree with a couple more bets on the side. I put a three pack on him and he is busted without hitting a ball and so are all the operators.

I go home and have won over 2k starting with a twenty dollar bill. I go back the next Friday and am barred from playing pool after busting all the equipment operators. As I am talking to the owner, a bus stops out front and San Francisco Phil, who had just beat me a couple weeks earlier playing nine ball and one pocket, steps down from the bus wearing a grey work outfit and carrying a lunch pail. I saw Phil later in Denver and that place supported him for weeks.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:07 PM
Verified Member

The value of money in the US seems to be a relative thing.

When I was playing at the Cotton Palace in Dallas in 1960 it seemed like I was playing 9 ball for $1000.00 to $1500.00 per game once or twice a week.

Wins and loses of 10K were pretty much routine.

A new Corvette cost 5K.

When I see players today playing for 20K I just have to laugh. It's not real money. You can't even buy 25% of a good car.

Bill S.