Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Default Spotted ball ends up being a key roll in Alex/Scott match

In the decisive game last night, after protracted safety battles Alex ended up missing a shot that broke open the stack, with balls everywhere on the low end of the table. Scott would have easily got started on running balls except Alex owed one and the spotted ball ended up leaning right on the cue ball, trapping Scott!

From Scott on Facebook:
Quote:
I have to be honest... I was down 4-1 and handed Alex two games on a platter. I finally calm down and start to play my game out moving him and get back to 4-3 him. I had 3 balls he owed 1. He cuts at a very tough ball and misses it by a long shot and leaves me straight in on a combo and I'm dead out. And then I realized the cue ball landed on the spot and the ball he owed had to pot up directly infront of the cue ball. One of the sickest rolls I've ever had under the circumstances. I lose 5-3 and we know if I win that game being down 4-1 I would of won the match! I will see him soon in the finals!
I know sometimes smart players have intentionally left the cue ball near the spot exactly for that reason, but this time it was definitely a fortuitous accident for Alex.

Someone responded on Facebook saying the rules should let the incoming player delay the spotting if it ends up interfering with their shot. I can't see changing the rules like that -- there has to be some luck in rolls now and then to keep the game interesting! I notice Scott himself did not complain about the rule -- just about the bad roll, which I completely understand as it was a brutal roll!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:06 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
In the decisive game last night, after protracted safety battles Alex ended up missing a shot that broke open the stack, with balls everywhere on the low end of the table. Scott would have easily got started on running balls except Alex owed one and the spotted ball ended up leaning right on the cue ball, trapping Scott!

From Scott on Facebook:

I know sometimes smart players have intentionally left the cue ball near the spot exactly for that reason, but this time it was definitely a fortuitous accident for Alex.

Someone responded on Facebook saying the rules should let the incoming player delay the spotting if it ends up interfering with their shot. I can't see changing the rules like that -- there has to be some luck in rolls now and then to keep the game interesting! I notice Scott himself did not complain about the rule -- just about the bad roll, which I completely understand as it was a brutal roll!
I agree with you, Steve, the rolls roll both ways. A loser focuses on 'bad beats' as I have heard Scott do ad nausium. He even devoted a large segment of his last video explaining all the bad things that happened to him when he got beat by John Schmidt. If you ask me, he's a cry baby. He reminds me of Earl.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by petie View Post
I agree with you, Steve, the rolls roll both ways. A loser focuses on 'bad beats' as I have heard Scott do ad nausium. He even devoted a large segment of his last video explaining all the bad things that happened to him when he got beat by John Schmidt. If you ask me, he's a cry baby. He reminds me of Earl.
I didn't see that here and that was definitely not my point at all. For a decisive roll like that he did not dwell on it any more than anyone would have if you ask me. His last sentence is upbeat in fact.

If this is the way my post is going to be interpreted then I have made a big mistake, because it was not my point at all -- it was a rule question.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
I didn't see that here and that was definitely not my point at all. For a decisive roll like that he did not dwell on it any more than anyone would have if you ask me. His last sentence is upbeat in fact.

If this is the way my post is going to be interpreted then I have made a big mistake, because it was not my point at all -- it was a rule question.
No question about the rule "The same thing that makes you sad, makes you glad."

An unfailing rule in pool is, the player who plays best get the best rolls.
Rod.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:42 AM
Verified Member

Default D

When Scott is running balls and gets a little out of line, he will force it to keep going.

He was running balls and got straight on on a ball down the rail and hit it warp speed under terrible conditions for that kind of attempt (Wet table), trying to come back to the middle of the table for a combo in the stack, and the ball popped out leaving Alex several easy balls. I think Alex had one ball at the time and Scott would have had five if he cinches the ball.

I understand wanting to get the game over when you have a chance, especially against an offensive power like Alex, but sometimes you have to take what the table gives you.

Scott had Alex on tilt and gave it back to him with some bad choices. If he gets by JJ I expect a great match and Scott changing hs strategy a bit.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Verified Member

Quote:

Sorry. I didn't mean to interpret your words. My opinions are mine. One thing leads to another like in any conversation.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Verified Member

Let's look at it the way it is, rolls of that kind are often game changers and are very hard to shake when it's against you, however, that roll as brutal as it was wasn't the reason Scott lost last night, Alex played better and Scott didn't play the caliber of pool that I seen him play throughout the tournament.

someone mentioned a possible rule change as an alternative which to me is clearly not the problem, matter of fact there is no problem with the rules we play under the game and the rules are just fine.

Both players started out slow but Alex was able to pick his speed up before Scott did and simply played better, this was a perfect opportunity for Scott to beat Alex he flat out blew it and he knows it. In retrospect there were quite a few questionable decisions Scott made in the match that could of possibly changed the direction the match was going in and imo it was more about those few decisions more than the roll that cost him the match. Just maybe he didn't handle the bad roll as good as some may have thought, shooting the combination the shot that followed Alex's lucky roll was one of the questionable decisions I'm referring to.

Scott is going to have to pick up his level of play if he expects to beat Alex when and If they meet, Jeremy has plans of his own.

Dr. Bill
Old 05-24-2015, 12:33 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
When Scott is running balls and gets a little out of line, he will force it to keep going.

He was running balls and got straight on on a ball down the rail and hit it warp speed under terrible conditions for that kind of attempt (Wet table), trying to come back to the middle of the table for a combo in the stack, and the ball popped out leaving Alex several easy balls. I think Alex had one ball at the time and Scott would have had five if he cinches the ball.

I understand wanting to get the game over when you have a chance, especially against an offensive power like Alex, but sometimes you have to take what the table gives you.

Scott had Alex on tilt and gave it back to him with some bad choices. If he gets by JJ I expect a great match and Scott changing hs strategy a bit.
Excellent evaluation of Scott's game John !..I think he will probably get by JJ..(wager anyone ?)..But as you implied, he doesn't seem to play his best game against Alex !..I make the odds against him beating Alex twice, at about 3 or 4..to 1 !..If there is anyone out there, who thinks otherwise, please contact me, asap (via PM) as I will put considerable $$$$ on the line ! (if they play)

PS..Like maybe my $350, to your $100 ???
Old 05-24-2015, 12:53 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
Let's look at it the way it is, rolls of that kind are often game changers and are very hard to shake when it's against you, however, that roll as brutal as it was wasn't the reason Scott lost last night, Alex played better and Scott didn't play the caliber of pool that I seen him play throughout the tournament.

someone mentioned a possible rule change as an alternative which to me is clearly not the problem, matter of fact there is no problem with the rules we play under the game and the rules are just fine.

Both players started out slow but Alex was able to pick his speed up before Scott did and simply played better, this was a perfect opportunity for Scott to beat Alex he flat out blew it and he knows it. In retrospect there were quite a few questionable decisions Scott made in the match that could of possibly changed the direction the match was going in and imo it was more about those few decisions more than the roll that cost him the match. Just maybe he didn't handle the bad roll as good as some may have thought, shooting the combination the shot that followed Alex's lucky roll was one of the questionable decisions I'm referring to.

Scott is going to have to pick up his level of play if he expects to beat Alex when and If they meet, Jeremy has plans of his own.

Dr. Bill
The stream just started and what do we see but Scott still crying about that roll. If he wants to pick up his level of play, my advice (no he didn't ask me) would be to let that go, internalize his feelings, focus on what he can do in the present and future, stay positive, and act like a winner instead of a loser. Let your shooting do the talking.

Let me say that I admire Scott greatly. I especially like him as a commentator and teacher. I just don't think much of this behavior.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
I've personally witnessed Alex on the receiving end of some very fortuitous "rolls". Of course lucky rolls will even out with the bad ones over time, but he seems to get good fortune at just the right times.

It's like Grady used to say about Efen: "He has the most phenomenal luck of any player I've ever witnessed". Obviously Grady was well aware of Efren's brilliant play, but he made the luck comment on several tapes. Maybe Alex has Efren's karma...

~Doc