Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2015, 12:29 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Keith Thompson View Post
Hello Bill Meachem, When I played the 9 ball division at Johnston City I used mostly house cues. Most hustlers back in the day used house cues or at least that was the sensible thing to do when hustling strange places but not in the world tournament. No doubt having your own custom cue brings your game up or assures your consistency in your pool game. I played a black fellow name Red that played very well in my first match at Johnston City. I asked him the next day if he would loan me his cue for my next match against Blackie Laseur and he did but it cost me 60 dollars. I think I played the rest of the 9 ball with house cues which I was used to. Eddie Burton (top player back in the day) did loan me his cue maybe once in the 9 ball tourney and it was heavy. Finest feeling cue I ever used, elevated my game to my highest level. I did play Erving Crane in the semi-final with a house cue and never missed a ball. Irving had just knocked Lassiter to losers bracket beating him 11 to 3. Watched him run 7 racks in a row against Lassiter. I thought how in the world am I going to beat this guy and I had never ran 7 in a row myself but I never counted, LOL. So as the show goes I won the 9 ball and played the all-around a week later after hanging with Cole Dickson for a week in Atlanta. Went back to Janscos and played the All-around mostly with a house cue but I did use Freddie THE Beard cue for one match and didn,t like the cue that much. In my final match against Ronnie Allen for all the marbles Eddie Burton stepped to the plate and offered his cue which was like heaven to play with. After I knew why he was so tough to beat,haha. Eddies deal was I had to beat that freaking prick or he would never have anything to do with me again. LOL. After Johnston City I bought a new National cue from Alf taylor for 40 dollars (cost) and played Buddy Hall 4 hours of even 9 ball in early 71 and that cue was all the difference. But my final cue in the tourney was Eddie Burton's and it was sweet. Would have played him with his own cue,LOL.
Now there's a name out of the past, Eddie Burton, aka, "The Hat" I used to call him flea, boy he hated it too, would get fighting mad about it. We used to play keno tickets in Vegas whenever we went to dinner. We always played a $1.00
8 spot, I think it paid $25,000.00 if you hit all 8. One time we hit 7 outta the first 15 #'s called and really embarrassed ourselves screaming for our last # to be called! with 5 #'s to go, we had a good chance to hit it, but it didn't show, we musta looked like we were at the track, screaming for our horse to win it!
Hello Keith,
You quit at 19 years old??
Why???? you had real talent, and surely you would only have gotten better!
Didn't it bother you, walking away so soon?? you were a real life "Moonlight Graham", only you made it to the show and won it all! It's plain enough for me to see, you did love the game, you couldn't possibly got to your level of play without really caring about the game. It's really a shame, because many players devoted their entire lives to playing and never got where you were at 19!!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff sparks View Post
Hello Keith,
You quit at 19 years old??
Why???? you had real talent, and surely you would only have gotten better!
Didn't it bother you, walking away so soon?? you were a real life "Moonlight Graham", only you made it to the show and won it all! It's plain enough for me to see, you did love the game, you couldn't possibly got to your level of play without really caring about the game. It's really a shame, because many players devoted their entire lives to playing and never got where you were at 19!!
Irwin Davis and I went to Pasadena Tx. to visit his friend Carl Johnson.
Carl had recently bought a pool room there.

There was this skinny scrawny young kid (Keith) hitting balls, he either miscued or jumped the table every other shot.

Carl said he loved to play so much, he had his mom come in and talk to him and get permission for the kid to come in.

About six months or less later the young man came to the LeCue, got the 5/6 ? out from King Curtis and won.

Thats how I remember it.
Rod.

Last edited by androd; 04-28-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:32 PM
Verified Member

Default Back in the day

Hello Rodney from Squirrel, you may be the only person left that new about me as a kid and playing Curtis, LOL. I sure did love the game. You guys at the LeCUE broke me of sucking eggs a few times, LOL, but educated me well also. I took my game to the highest level watching all you good players play each other and I made a front row seat. My goal was to be the best player in the world but that is close to impossible to do and consumes your life. But what great times I had in the pool rooms around Houston. One of my last big games was against Greg Stevens at the LeCUE, played Freddie The Beard in 71, played Tall Jeff in 71, played Buddy Hall 9 ball in 71, so who thinks they could make a living playing these guys, LOL. Quiting the game as a pro was not a tough choice! Been working on a book for 2 years and have a rough draft almost complete, by the time I publish it we'll probably all be gone, LOL.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:41 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Keith Thompson View Post
Hello Rodney from Squirrel, you may be the only person left that new about me as a kid and playing Curtis, LOL. I sure did love the game. You guys at the LeCUE broke me of sucking eggs a few times, LOL, but educated me well also. I took my game to the highest level watching all you good players play each other and I made a front row seat. My goal was to be the best player in the world but that is close to impossible to do and consumes your life. But what great times I had in the pool rooms around Houston. One of my last big games was against Greg Stevens at the LeCUE, played Freddie The Beard in 71, played Tall Jeff in 71, played Buddy Hall 9 ball in 71, so who thinks they could make a living playing these guys, LOL. Quiting the game as a pro was not a tough choice! Been working on a book for 2 years and have a rough draft almost complete, by the time I publish it we'll probably all be gone, LOL.
Hi Keith, I don't believe we've ever met, as I was long gone from the Houston/Lecue scene by '71 !..But, I did battle with King Curtis, and Stevens, and about everyone else you've mentioned..I did hear later, of your great win in Johnston City, and I often wondered what happened to you !

I understand your reasons for quiting the pool racket, as I did the exact same thing for about 20 years !..I hope your decision was as gratifying as mine was..But obviously, once pool gets in your blood, you can't forget it..thats why we are here on this forum now !..Hope things worked out well for you, and good to hear from you !

PS.. I do agree with you..A pool cue is just something to hit the cue ball with, it will NOT make you a winner, if you don't have the rest of the game !
Old 04-28-2015, 10:45 PM
Verified Member

My first big win in 1P came after I first moved to Michigan in 1996. I snapped off California John at Snookers in Livonia for $1200. Of course I only collected $600. I got a few cue repairs, tips, and BS about how he doesn't owe me the rest of the money.