Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2014, 04:54 PM
Verified Member

The one I remember besides UJ was Florida Red.

He also hung at TJs' in Houston.

If he could see it, he could make it.

Bill S.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Verified Member

hey tex
nice to meet you
welcome aboard....
larry
Old 10-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
The one I remember besides UJ was Florida Red.

He also hung at TJs' in Houston.

If he could see it, he could make it.

Bill S.
Yes, He made about everything. I beat him one time, and he said wait till I get back and you've got the 8 and 9. He had two stake horses and promptly shot me down.
I said "son if you could do that for your own money, you'd wear diamonds"
He said I know you're shore right about that" LOL
Rod.
P.S.He had a brother named "Tangle-eye" who played about his speed.
They were from somewhere in the pan handle of Florida.
Rod.
P.S I liked them a lot, just country boys. nothing phony about them.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:59 AM
Verified Member

Pucket told me this story about Florida Red while we were on the road together.

We all know how much UJ liked to fish.

While he was in the Everglades fishing, he pulled his boat up to a Bait and Tackle shop out in the boonies. While he was looking around the shop he noticed a Valley pool table in a leaning shed attached to the main building. The table was pretty ratty and it was on a dirt floor.

We he went to pay for his bait he asked the owner if there was anybody around that played pool for money? The owner said "yes, his son played all comers but was in school and wouldn't be back until after four."

Pucket said he would come back.

He came back at 4:00pm and sure enough there was this Red headed kid about 15 or 16 in coveralls and no shoes playing on the table

They started playing for 10 dollars and Pucket said the kid never missed a ball.
After UJ got 6 games loser he realized he would have to change something or he would get beat.

By this time a crowd was forming and UJ saw a chance for some side bets.

He got an idea and went to the front counter and bought a pack of cigarets.
Pucket didn't smoke but he lit up one, took a few puffs and threw it on the ground. He did this several times in a row and sure enough the kid finally stepped on a hot cigaret.

It was enough of a distraction that Pucket was able to win and make a good score. Red had never been beaten before.

About a year later Pucket was sitting in the Texas Rec and who walked up the stairs? Florida Red, as Pucket had named him.

I don't think Red ever went back to Flordia.

I played him once at TJs' and beat him. My next customer that day was Richie Ambrose. He could really spin the ball.

Bill S.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:40 PM
Verified Member

he was called spin the ball richie when he was back there and then richie from the bronx later on after he went on the road.
he was on the road and had this ratty camper for a short time and he didnt know you couldnt be in wind storms in them. blew it over.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:50 PM

Default Texdance I grew up in Fort Worth hanging around Glens Pool hall

What you wrote brings back memories. I remember Magnolia Red from Glens Pool Hall along with Johnny Lillard, and Carrol Vess whom you should know from the Golden Cue (before Vess opened up Glen's #2 on Hemphill and Berry).
I'm sure you know the place downtown with the rack man Breezy always with a story and walking around saying 'dead wood dead wood' as he picked up empty bottles.He was apparently a boxer in earlier years and it looked like it.
I hung around Glens downtown a lot and definitely met some characters and some pool players coming thru usually trying to get Glen himself in a game and Glen would bet it up, not to mention no one had a problem leaving with the money.
I remember one time this guy from California was there one day and I asked him to play for a dollar (I was only good for beating people that couldn't play) but he insisted on at least 2 dollars a game.
It was more like he was killing time but I played him anyway and I wouldn't know until later when he did get a game with Glen it was member of this site San Jose Dick, so at 17 I get hustled out of 6 dollars (no small amount for me at the time) but I enjoyed watching him later as he played Glen and I saw some great shots by him as he definitely beat Glen, for how much I don't know but he beat him. As you must know Glen was NOT a player he just tried to get big spots and if Breezy was the rack man in a 6 ball game he made the 6 on the break a lot.Breezy was great he'd be grunting as he racked the balls like he couldn't possibly get them tighter but he was leaving a gap that made that 6 bank straight back on the break.
Carrol Vess (who looked like the Big Tex statute) and Johnny Lillard are the ones that called me 'girly', because of my hair which barely was over my ears, so I don't know if that rings a bell but I ended up more at Glen's number 2 and the top player was Ermin Bullard, but I was always hearing about UJ Puckett .
This went longer than I intended but I know about Reno Tx. as my sister and I own a house 10 miles north of Paris Tx. (Sumner is the mailing address but it is really at Maxey). She lives there now and I now live in Bellingham Wa. so I can be near my grown children and grandsons in Canada (BC)

As for who I am, I'm Ronnie Mitchell, 64 years old and a long time lurker on this site.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:28 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasalias View Post
What you wrote brings back memories. I remember Magnolia Red from Glens Pool Hall along with Johnny Lillard, and Carrol Vess whom you should know from the Golden Cue (before Vess opened up Glen's #2 on Hemphill and Berry).
I'm sure you know the place downtown with the rack man Breezy always with a story and walking around saying 'dead wood dead wood' as he picked up empty bottles.He was apparently a boxer in earlier years and it looked like it.
I hung around Glens downtown a lot and definitely met some characters and some pool players coming thru usually trying to get Glen himself in a game and Glen would bet it up, not to mention no one had a problem leaving with the money.
I remember one time this guy from California was there one day and I asked him to play for a dollar (I was only good for beating people that couldn't play) but he insisted on at least 2 dollars a game.
It was more like he was killing time but I played him anyway and I wouldn't know until later when he did get a game with Glen it was member of this site San Jose Dick, so at 17 I get hustled out of 6 dollars (no small amount for me at the time) but I enjoyed watching him later as he played Glen and I saw some great shots by him as he definitely beat Glen, for how much I don't know but he beat him. As you must know Glen was NOT a player he just tried to get big spots and if Breezy was the rack man in a 6 ball game he made the 6 on the break a lot.Breezy was great he'd be grunting as he racked the balls like he couldn't possibly get them tighter but he was leaving a gap that made that 6 bank straight back on the break.
Carrol Vess (who looked like the Big Tex statute) and Johnny Lillard are the ones that called me 'girly', because of my hair which barely was over my ears, so I don't know if that rings a bell but I ended up more at Glen's number 2 and the top player was Ermin Bullard, but I was always hearing about UJ Puckett .
This went longer than I intended but I know about Reno Tx. as my sister and I own a house 10 miles north of Paris Tx. (Sumner is the mailing address but it is really at Maxey). She lives there now and I now live in Bellingham Wa. so I can be near my grown children and grandsons in Canada (BC)

As for who I am, I'm Ronnie Mitchell, 64 years old and a long time lurker on this site.
ronnie
welcome aboard .....dont be shy.....post without reservation....
maybe you can tell us about san jose dick and how he worked the room and played
Old 11-01-2014, 01:54 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post

...About a year later Pucket was sitting in the Texas Rec and who walked up the stairs? Florida Red, as Pucket had named him.

I don't think Red ever went back to Flordia.

I played him once at TJs' and beat him. My next customer that day was Richie Ambrose. He could really spin the ball.

Bill S.
Bill, Puckett told me the cigarette story ..Do you remember Ray Humphrey ?..He owned a pool room in Houston..Nobody cared for the guy. He was usually a pretty good go off..But one day he beat TJ pretty good..He said something wrong (to TJ) and TJ smacked him a good one.

He hit him so hard, he knocked him into an old wooden phone booth, and his diamond pinky ring flew off.. Ray scrambled around looking for it, to no avail..TJ had spotted it, and was standing on it..He didn't move, until Ray left the joint..Hilarious to watch !
Old 11-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgcp View Post
Bille F. Miller II
Started playing pool late in life. Actually at 49, I turn 57 in a couple of weeks. Spent 38 years in a uniform, starting as a private in the Airborne Infantry, and culminating as a Colonel. Might be why the guys here call me COL Bille, flew every Army Helicopter in production from 79 till this year, with the exception of CH-47's. Specialty was Attack helicopters, but absolutely loved the OH-6, called the loach... Have 8 different SSI's, special shoulder insignias, the old guys would call them combat patch's.
Just retired, opened my own LLC, critical chain management theory, and Lean Six Sigma.
According to "The Beard", I am a stone cold pool nut. Him and Cowboy Dennis are largely responsible for my starting to play.
Drink way too much Jack Daniels, and am not afraid to play anyone. Wish I could have learned more younger... I like 20 to 40 a game...
Happily married to a German matron, but still flirt with every young cutie I see, just for the hell of it.
Drive a pickup, 94 XJS V12 Jag convertible, 94 FXDL Harley (3/4 cam, bored 0.030), 24LTS Pro with a 300 Verado Mercury. Yes I like to go fast, air, land, or sea...
Have played several of the members here, and plan to play a lot more before I take a dirt nap.

B

PS Just for Kentucky, why do we get along so well? Polar Opposites... I don't think anyone has ever called me a liberal, although I too marched in one or two parades...but, come to think of it when I marched, I had a weapon, or while in the CAV a saber with me...LOL
Bille,

Freddy was the greatest and I am very appreciative that I helped you to play the game. I very much enjoyed making copies and sending them to you in Kuwait/Iraq. Copies that included many top 1 pocket players and the famous match between AB & RA. Do you remember that one

RBL
Old 11-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Verified Member

SJD,

I remember Ray H. very well.

When I was very young I was playing TJ at his pool room and made some smart remark about him being old.

He smacked me in the face and cut my lip.

Got my revenge when I played him again with Pucket in and beat him playing one pocket.

His tables were really hard to play on.

A 3 rail bank to your pocket could be played as a 5 rail bank to the same pocket.

That is short.

Bill S.