walking with Giants, DUKE

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
I was barely 14 years old when I met John Duke Dowel.

Met him at the corner pocket cue club in Pasadena Tx.

Actually I conned him in to staking me to play someone some 50 cent 9 ball, lol.

For real, John DUKE Dowel was the first backer ever of the Mighty Squirrel, LOL.

I beat the guy, whomever it was and split 4 bucks with him, I think he was just fascinated with me and gave a youngster a shot.

He was fresh out of the Army and would try his luck in the pool rooms around Houston area.

He was already an established player when he got out of the army, but that would change in the next few years.

By the time I was 15 yrs. old we were both regulars at the LaCue CLUB in downtown Houston where the top players hung out.

By the time I was 17 yrs. old, Duke's game had risen above all most everyone in town with the exception of a few like Jersey Red and Greg Stevens and when he was on his game he could play anyone competitive 9 ball or one pocket, very, very, complete player.

He was not the best niner or one holer or 14 and 1, but then it didn't take long to call row either!

He was always there to give me advice when I needed it and that was quite often, lol.

Very quiet guy most of the time and really didn't have any cockiness in him, I believe Joey Spaith was his identical twin, no really, both of these guys were quiet assasins.

If you walked into a pool room and cased the joint looking for action you were the unluckiest hustler in the world if you asked one of these two to play.

Both of these guys were great all around players, they could put 5 packs on you in 9 ball and were very proficient at one hole and other games.

Let me get back to Duke cause he was my mentor so to speak, even though I played him quite a few times I have more respect for him as a person and player/hustler as anyone I have ever known.

He was always my friend and he still is today.

Top Tier as a player but a better person and if any of you people ever get to meet him or shake his hand, know that you met one of the great players of my era.

THE DUKE, he has Walked with Giants and he gave as good as he got!

Coolest and classiest guy I ever known and the pool world needs to know it!

Thank you sir for you are Legend with me!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
John Duke Dowel.
"Thank you sir for you are Legend with me!" (keith thompson)
well Mr. Duke if you are a legend to a legend
my hats off to you
much respect passed from me to you
:)

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Quiet guy Duke, mild mannered and polite with a very dry sense of humor, but he would crack you up occasionally with his wit... Mechanical, very mechanical approach to one pocket and he was a very good player, as Keith has stated... Duke knew the game, and he could flat out play... It took a great player to beat Duke playing one pocket... I like to say Duke was sneaky good, because he wasn't a flashy player, he'd just get the money...:)

Duke was mentored some by Hayden Lingo before he passed and Jersey Red... A couple of pretty good players...:). Duke hung at Le Cue where he could sweat some of the worlds greatest players in action on a daily basis.. He was a student of the game and played serious pool at one time... Now he's old and hardly ever visits the pool room, but many years ago he was tough action...

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Thank you for posting your memories from the golden age of pool Keith. Is 'Duke' still living?

I'll respond....

Yes, he had some health issues back a year or so ago, but I understand from Androd that he is ok now... He rarely comes to the pool room and the last time I saw him was maybe 8/10 months ago when he was recovering from his surgery... He hasn't played in years... Don't know why, he would still be a force and a favorite to win the seniors...

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I spoke with him friday, he's working 4 half days and says all's well except the heat bothers him a lot.

He's got some money and only works for something to do.
When I was in the hospital, the first call I got was Duke.

How did you know I was here ? Allen Green called me and said you were in the hospital, didn't know where.

Duke said I started calling Hospitals near where you live and Bingo.

He and I and Tall Jimmy were all close friends, made some road trips together. He and I still keep in touch.

As Jeff said Duke was the most underrated player around, I saw him beat many champs playing one pocket. RA gave him 10/8 never had a chance. Jimmy Reed, Jerry Brock, Nate from L A, come to mind.

The pool author R Dwyer used to hang around Duke asking for stories and quotes, I believe he's mentioned and maybe quoted in one of his books.

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
Duke came to my pool hall Doyles in San Antonio in the seventies and Freddie and I made the mistake of backing Tallahassee Bob playing him even one-pocket. No chance. He probably could give Bob 9-7. He beat everyone he played on that trip.

RedCard

Verified Member
I spoke with him friday, he's working 4 half days and says all's well except the heat bothers him a lot.

He's got some money and only works for something to do.
When I was in the hospital, the first call I got was Duke.

How did you know I was here ? Allen Green called me and said you were in the hospital, didn't know where.

Duke said I started calling Hospitals near where you live and Bingo.

He and I and Tall Jimmy were all close friends, made some road trips together. He and I still keep in touch.

As Jeff said Duke was the most underrated player around, I saw him beat many champs playing one pocket. RA gave him 10/8 never had a chance. Jimmy Reed, Jerry Brock, Nate from L A, come to mind.

The pool author R Dwyer used to hang around Duke asking for stories and quotes, I believe he's mentioned and maybe quoted in one of his books.

He is indeed quoted liberally in Dwyer's book 'Hustler Days'. While looking through it this morning I saw this reference to Jersey Red, Danny Jones & Big Train Stevens hanging around before a big tournament in Houston in 1969. The quote is from Dwyer : 'They climbed the tables, both feet dangling, neither foot on the floor, their bellies flat against green felt. Sprawling wino snipers, hunting long balls, eyes intent'.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I was barely 14 years old when I met John Duke Dowel.

Met him at the corner pocket cue club in Pasadena Tx.

Actually I conned him in to staking me to play someone some 50 cent 9 ball, lol.

For real, John DUKE Dowel was the first backer ever of the Mighty Squirrel, LOL.

I beat the guy, whomever it was and split 4 bucks with him, I think he was just fascinated with me and gave a youngster a shot.

He was fresh out of the Army and would try his luck in the pool rooms around Houston area.

He was already an established player when he got out of the army, but that would change in the next few years.

By the time I was 15 yrs. old we were both regulars at the LaCue CLUB in downtown Houston where the top players hung out.

By the time I was 17 yrs. old, Duke's game had risen above all most everyone in town with the exception of a few like Jersey Red and Greg Stevens and when he was on his game he could play anyone competitive 9 ball or one pocket, very, very, complete player.

He was not the best niner or one holer or 14 and 1, but then it didn't take long to call row either!

He was always there to give me advice when I needed it and that was quite often, lol.

Very quiet guy most of the time and really didn't have any cockiness in him, I believe Joey Spaith was his identical twin, no really, both of these guys were quiet assasins.

If you walked into a pool room and cased the joint looking for action you were the unluckiest hustler in the world if you asked one of these two to play.

Both of these guys were great all around players, they could put 5 packs on you in 9 ball and were very proficient at one hole and other games.

Let me get back to Duke cause he was my mentor so to speak, even though I played him quite a few times I have more respect for him as a person and player/hustler as anyone I have ever known.

He was always my friend and he still is today.

Top Tier as a player but a better person and if any of you people ever get to meet him or shake his hand, know that you met one of the great players of my era.

THE DUKE, he has Walked with Giants and he gave as good as he got!

Coolest and classiest guy I ever known and the pool world needs to know it!

Thank you sir for you are Legend with me!

Be too cool to invite em into the booth for some commentary, like the one coming up. I bet he'd enjoy that!

Jimmy B

Verified Member
He is indeed quoted liberally in Dwyer's book 'Hustler Days'. While looking through it this morning I saw this reference to Jersey Red, Danny Jones & Big Train Stevens hanging around before a big tournament in Houston in 1969. The quote is from Dwyer : 'They climbed the tables, both feet dangling, neither foot on the floor, their bellies flat against green felt. Sprawling wino snipers, hunting long balls, eyes intent'.

I think that's the tournament that got raided at Le Cue.. Duke Dowell related it. I was wondering if Rod was there. They nabbed 98 people. Six for gambling on pool games and 92 for being in the pool room in the presence of gambling activity, including Red, who was at the counter having a bowl of soup. A security guard from The Texaco Building was doing the same.. I thought that kind of nitty of the cops.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I think that's the tournament that got raided at Le Cue.. Duke Dowell related it. I was wondering if Rod was there. They nabbed 98 people. Six for gambling on pool games and 92 for being in the pool room in the presence of gambling activity, including Red, who was at the counter having a bowl of soup. A security guard from The Texaco Building was doing the same.. I thought that kind of nitty of the cops.

Rod wasn't there, they asked for an admission, since we were there everyday we didn't think we should pay, so Jimmie and I took a road trip.

RedCard

Verified Member

Checked the book, it was the tournament at Le Cue.

~~~

Rod,
Several years ago me and a buddy were going to take a little trip and stopped about 75 miles from where we live at a poolroom/bar/entertainment joint. We went in and the band was playing so they tried to have us pay their cover charge, which wasn't much. I would have done it but Bob is cheap when it comes to things like that and he just wanted a game & didn't care about the band.

I sort of wanted to continue driving to our primary destination anyway so we left. This is funny if you knew Bob: ⇨ We were getting in the car and I mentioned I wish I'd have brought my press cards (to beat the cover charge). Bob looked over the top of the car and sort of sneered and said, 'you think those press cards are gospel' ⇦.

dgee99x

Duke was a regular at Le Cue in the Village where I worked on weekends around 1976. Pool was new to me but it didn't take me long to figure out that Duke was a special player. He was feared and revered. As others have mentioned he was also a very nice guy. I don't know how he made any money because he was too nice to hustle pool. The only time I saw him lose was when Louie Roberts gave him the last 2 playing 9 ball. I also saw him beat Buddy Hall twice to win a 9 ball tournament at Grand Central Station in Houston. And that was when Buddy was skinny. Duke didn't have a powerful stroke but he made pocketing balls and position look effortless. I'd give anything to see that effortless stroke again.

Last edited:

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Duke was a regular at Le Cue in the Village where I worked on weekends around 1976. Pool was new to me but it didn't take me long to figure out that Duke was a special player. He was feared and revered. As others have mentioned he was also a very nice guy. I don't know how he made any money because he was too nice to hustle pool. The only time I saw him lose was when Louie Roberts gave him the last 2 playing 9 ball. I also saw him beat Buddy Hall twice to win a 9 ball tournament at Grand Central Station in Houston. And that was when Buddy was skinny. Duke didn't have a powerful stroke but he made pocketing balls and position look effortless. I'd give anything to see that effortless stroke again.

One more thing about Duke, I believe he was the best ring game player I saw. More often than not he'd be one of the winners at the finish. Individually not the favorite over many, but last man standing.

After the tourney in Wharton Tx. They had a game that lasted a couple of days at Grand Central, the players came and went.
To name a few, RA, Fly Boy, St Louie Louie, Richie Ambrose, Jimmy Mataya, Buddy Hall, Canilla, A veterinarian from NY (who I didn't know ).

When the game broke up Duke and Canilla were the only winners.

P.S I think he was good at ring games because his game was so much in line, he could not have a shot for a long time and still get up and make a ball.

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One more thing about Duke, I believe he was the best ring game player I saw. More often than not he'd be one of the winners at the finish. Individually not the favorite over many, but last man standing.

After the tourney in Wharton Tx. They had a game that lasted a couple of days at Grand Central, the players came and went.
To name a few, RA, Fly Boy, St Louie Louie, Richie Ambrose, Jimmy Mataya, Buddy Hall, Canilla, A veterinarian from NY (who I didn't know ).

When the game broke up Duke and Canilla were the only winners.

P.S I think he was good at ring games because his game was so much in line, he could not have a shot for a long time and still get up and make a ball.

Canilla came to California with Leon from Odessa to try and get some weight from Keith McCready. Keith's backer, Charlie The Ape, would not go for it so they never played.

If it is the same guy, Canilla had red hair. Leon used to gamble with Archie The Greek when he was here.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Canilla came to California with Leon from Odessa to try and get some weight from Keith McCready. Keith's backer, Charlie The Ape, would not go for it so they never played.

If it is the same guy, Canilla had red hair. Leon used to gamble with Archie The Greek when he was here.

It's probably the same guy, I think Canilla is spanish for cinnamon, next best Mexican Player i've seen, he gave Danny Jones the 8ball and won.
P.S. I believe Bill Smith said Canilla beat Artie playing 8 Ball.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
It's probably the same guy, I think Canilla is spanish for cinnamon, next best Mexican Player i've seen, he gave Danny Jones the 8ball and won.
P.S. I believe Bill Smith said Canilla beat Artie playing 8 Ball.

canela is spanish for cinnamon
canilla acording to google translate is "bobbin"
probably was canela with red hair

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
canela is spanish for cinnamon
canilla acording to google translate is "bobbin"
probably was canela with red hair

I've picked up a little Spanish (very little) but I'd guess that as a name for a male it would be canelo.

How does the Mexican Middleweight with a similar nickname spell that?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I've picked up a little Spanish (very little) but I'd guess that as a name for a male it would be canelo.

How does the Mexican Middleweight with a similar nickname spell that?

the middle weight first name is canelO.....not a nickname
ACCORDING TO GOOGLE TRANSLATE
canelo = canelo
conelA = cinamon