Owen vs. Bustamante

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I haven't posted one in awhile, so here's one I watched the other night. Busty just left Owen in a rather routine, but effective position. What do you suppose Owen did? What would YOU do? The score is portrayed on the insert. ~Doc

owen 1A.jpg

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I haven't posted one in awhile, so here's one I watched the other night. Busty just left Owen in a rather routine, but effective position. What do you suppose Owen did? What would YOU do? The score is portrayed on the insert. ~Doc

attachment.jpg

So as not to confuse the old guys here who can still see the balls:p:

ball numbers.jpg

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

View attachment 14839

Doc, you're seeing the colors differently than I, but using your numbers I shoot the 14 into about half of the left side of the stripe above it with 5 o'clock to go behind the 7. A fair chance that the 14 catches the bottom of the 15 and goes closer to my pocket.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
From
Chandler, Tx.
How about this, fire into the 14 with draw to bring the CB behind the 7. The 14 caroms off the 11 into the 15 and moves down towards his pocket.--Smitty

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Why would anybody in their right mind do anything but bank the 8 straight-back??? You can only run out if you make it. Am I missing something?

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
I don't see that there is enough room past the fourteen to bank the eight straight back and the angle past the five looks like the shot would have to be overcut and held up with a bit of english.

I'm looking at the combo bank on the fourteen-thirteen or whatever that second ball is. Now this shot look doable to me.
Here's the way I see it.

Attachments

• owen 1A.jpg
    owen 1A.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I don't see that there is enough room past the fourteen to bank the eight straight back and the angle past the five looks like the shot would have to be overcut and held up with a bit of english.

I'm looking at the combo bank on the fourteen-thirteen or whatever that second ball is. Now this shot look doable to me.
Here's the way I see it.

I'm not leaving the CB on his side rail here, the shot you are suggesting Tom will definitely improve your position, but there are to many bank and escape options from where you want the CB to rest. I want the CB up table near the top right corner pocket protecting my soldiers.

I would 3 rail the 15 ball and follow the CB with a touch of high right English, I really want the CB to rest on his long rail, between the CP and the 1st diamond.
I believe this is the same shot Frank is suggesting, except he called the 15 ball the 11 ball.

Whatta ya think?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I am not sure if you can get enough left spin on the CB to miss the 10 ball in the corner but I see a really good shot here if you could execute it (hit about 9:30 or 10:00)

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Jeff, Oh Contraire!

First of all. This is a shot with the primary intention of making the bank and running out the game. I'm playing shape here. As far as giving up return banks, I don't see a great risk here, and the reward for making this shot is well worth the effort. If you're worried about the final resting place for the cue ball, fine, there are a few other points you can leave the rock and still play this shot and maintain shape on another ball.

The three rail shot on the fifteen must be hit extremely hard if you expect to run the cue ball through it and continue up table and on the opposite side rail. From the position of the cue ball, that's a neat trick. One well beyond my capabilities and what happens if this shot is not hit as precisely as needed? whoops! Sell out in, oh maybe four possible ways.

Tom

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I am not sure if you can get enough left spin on the CB to miss the 10 ball in the corner but I see a really good shot here if you could execute it (hit about 9:30 or 10:00)

One quick question Kid,

Would you shoot this shot in Yuma, Arizona at 3:00PM in August with all you had bet on the outcome and no ride outta town? You gotta walk if you mess it up!

Great imagination Kid but if it comes up when we play, I'm hoping you take a swing at it. :):):)

Is this VP4 shot?

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Cincy, Your shot reeks of desperation. Why, when nearly the entire table favors you, will you play a shot which requires sending the cue ball on a wild ride around the table? You are not in any danger here, there is no need to do anything that can cause a loss of cue ball control.

Be aggressive but control your urge to take big risks.

Tom

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff, Oh Contraire!

First of all. This is a shot with the primary intention of making the bank and running out the game. I'm playing shape here. As far as giving up return banks, I don't see a great risk here, and the reward for making this shot is well worth the effort. If you're worried about the final resting place for the cue ball, fine, there are a few other points you can leave the rock and still play this shot and maintain shape on another ball.

The three rail shot on the fifteen must be hit extremely hard if you expect to run the cue ball through it and continue up table and on the opposite side rail. From the position of the cue ball, that's a neat trick. One well beyond my capabilities and what happens if this shot is not hit as precisely as needed? whoops! Sell out in, oh maybe four possible ways.

Tom

Ok granted the 3 rail is not routine, but I'm more comfortable shooting it than shooting the 14 into the 11 and trying for the results your looking for. The angle is bad, you must cut the combo quite a bit to get the 11 into the gap and that alone plus the speed required to send the 11 up and back prohibits the CB from coming to rest where you show it. Take a closer look and see what you think?

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Ok granted the 3 rail is not routine, but I'm more comfortable shooting it than shooting the 14 into the 11 and trying for the results your looking for. The angle is bad, you must cut the combo quite a bit to get the 11 into the gap and that alone plus the speed required to send the 11 up and back prohibits the CB from coming to rest where you show it. Take a closer look and see what you think?

I have to disagree with you again here, Jeff. The shot can be hit almost full with a tip of right hand english. That will twist the fourteen into the proper line for the bank and allow me to control the cue ball far better than you suggest.
It's just me, but I like it better than any other shot I see.

Tom

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

CK,

This shot is good, I did not see it. If you make the ball what do you shoot next? If I was to shoot it I might shoot it with top-right and leave the cueball down by the 10.