A very interesting...

bstroud

Verified Member
If they like to play the game the Best players make the best one pocket players.
They just play to their strengths and that makes up for any shortcomings they may have in certain areas of their game.

Bill S.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The best one-pocket posters ought to be posting on this site. It seems to me that if they're posting on another site, but not here, they probably don't have much in the way of interest to me.;)

However, other sites do have interesting forums on table mechanics, straight pool, and other similar subjects of lesser interest.:)

~Doc

lfigueroa

Verified Member
The best one-pocket posters ought to be posting on this site. It seems to me that if they're posting on another site, but not here, they probably don't have much in the way of interest to me.;)

However, other sites do have interesting forums on table mechanics, straight pool, and other similar subjects of lesser interest.:)

~Doc

Doc, IMO, the majority of threads here are WWYDs. At least that appears to be the preferred topic. Over on AZ there are a wider variety of topics and when a 1pocket related topic comes up it is only natural and proper that the conversation take place over there.

Lou Figueroa

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I agree with Bill S. Generally, the better player plays better One Pocket. As a rule, Straight Pool players make excellent One Pocket players because of their cue ball control, fore thought, and mind set. They'll do what has to be done to run out or play safe. Rotation players are the first to get frustrated and want to quit in a rage. Bank players can bank but they can't all lag-bank.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I agree with Bill S. Generally, the better player plays better One Pocket. As a rule, Straight Pool players make excellent One Pocket players because of their cue ball control, fore thought, and mind set. They'll do what has to be done to run out or play safe. Rotation players are the first to get frustrated and want to quit in a rage. Bank players can bank but they can't all lag-bank.
IMO 14.1 players make good one-pocket players because of their ability to work the stack, and also to work in close. Diliberto is a good example of a 1P player who could really work the stack. Danny wasn't a great 1P player, but a very good one.

I agree with your point about not all good bank pool players being able to lag-bank. For example Brumback is a very good 1P player, not because he is the world's best bank player, but because he plays damn good one-pocket! But your point is that most good bankers shoot with firm to hard speed, which is not always appropriate in 1P. Consequently their banking prowess doesn't give them the advantage that one might think.

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
IMO 14.1 players make good one-pocket players because of their ability to work the stack, and also to work in close. Diliberto is a good example of a 1P player who could really work the stack. Danny wasn't a great 1P player, but a very good one.

I agree with your point about not all good bank pool players being able to lag-bank. For example Brumback is a very good 1P player, not because he is the world's best bank player, but because he plays damn good one-pocket! But your point is that most good bankers shoot with firm to hard speed, which is not always appropriate in 1P. Consequently their banking prowess doesn't give them the advantage that one might think.

~Doc
Eddie Taylor or Bugs may have had something to say about that, along with Gary Spaeth.

Bugs and Gary were recognized solely for banks and one pocket..banks first. Eddie played other games great but none the less his banking prowess gave him the edge over all the other great one pocket players from his era, and in many peoples opinion Taylor was the best one pocket player ever. Of course that was before Reyes came around.:D

Dr. Bill

bstroud

Verified Member
Having spent a great deal of time with Taylor I feel qualified to say one thing about him.

He had the greatest desire to win of any pool player I have ever known.
He never complained about anything. He just did what was necessary to get the money.

I have seen him play in the worst conditions possible and never miss a ball. Banks or straight in.

I would bet on him over Reyes or any other player playing anything.

When Miz was the best straight pool player in the world he gave Beanie 50 to 37 and could not win.

Taylor gave Beanie the same game and made him quit. Taylor didn't even play straight pool?

Bill S.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Eddie Taylor or Bugs may have had something to say about that, along with Gary Spaeth.

Bugs and Gary were recognized solely for banks and one pocket..banks first. Eddie played other games great but none the less his banking prowess gave him the edge over all the other great one pocket players from his era, and in many peoples opinion Taylor was the best one pocket player ever. Of course that was before Reyes came around.:D

Dr. Bill

You just raised a point that I was aware of but didn't put in my first response. Championship players, not ones much lower than that level, will bank a ball when it is a sure sell out if they miss. In that instance, banking with pace helps the accuracy of most banks. Good point.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

~Doc
I would politely disagree about great bank players not being able to lag a bank. In a bank game you better know how to lag in your long rail banks:D I do however know a elite bank player who doesn't play great one pocket... And don't anybody ask i won't mention his name:sorry

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I would politely disagree about great bank players not being able to lag a bank. In a bank game you better know how to lag in your long rail banks:D I do however know a elite bank player who doesn't play great one pocket... And don't anybody ask i won't mention his name:sorry
My statement in agreeing with Petie was that, "not all good bank pool players are able to lag-bank". In other words many are very capable of lag-banking.;) Yet in my short years experience with bank pool, especially as a spectator, game after game will be played before you see a guy lag a bank shot to simply roll hard enough to get into the hole. It's rare in bank pool, whereas it is very common in one-pocket.

BTW, the player you're referring to wouldn't have the initials L.D., would he? Just a stab in the dark.;)

~Doc

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
My statement in agreeing with Petie was that, "not all good bank pool players are able to lag-bank". In other words many are very capable of lag-banking.;) Yet in my short years experience with bank pool, especially as a spectator, game after game will be played before you see a guy lag a bank shot to simply roll hard enough to get into the hole. It's rare in bank pool, whereas it is very common in one-pocket.

BTW, the player you're referring to wouldn't have the initials L.D., would he? Just a stab in the dark.;)

~Doc

A bank player that can't lag bank wouldn't be close to being a great bank player. He would have no safety play and or end game skills. When your playing banks its very, very common to lag a bank to the hole so you don't leave a return shot and try to make your opponent waste his next shot if you miss. These shots happen multiple times nearly every game. No not L.D.

Tramp Steamer

Verified Member
Doc, IMO, the majority of threads here are WWYDs. At least that appears to be the preferred topic. Over on AZ there are a wider variety of topics and when a 1pocket related topic comes up it is only natural and proper that the conversation take place over there.
Lou Figueroa

Lou, is correct. This place is beyond boring. Who cares about WWYD. What you did is more important.
Also, the last joke I told here was two years ago and you would have thought I had just shit in someone's MRE's.
At least there's an audience at AZB.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Lou, is correct. This place is beyond boring. Who cares about WWYD. What you did is more important.
Also, the last joke I told here was two years ago and you would have thought I had just shit in someone's MRE's.

Thanks for taking the time to come over here to let us know you have no interest in being over here.

If I get a chance, I'll look you up on az and explain why I had no interest in looking you up on az.

Tramp Steamer

Verified Member
Thanks for taking the time to come over here to let us know you have no interest in being over here.
If I get a chance, I'll look you up on az and explain why I had no interest in looking you up on az.

Aw, you're welcome. Come over and say hi, anytime.

Jimmy B

Verified Member

It can be boring at times. That's why you can do a few other things on the internet. Tell the joke again and I'll comment and rate it for you.