bank tourn 1993 at Chris's

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I was at Red Shoes last night and ran into an old opponent of mine, Tough Tony Brewer. When we started cutting up jackpots, he had in his trunk some old photos of the bank pool tournament that he won in 1993. Included in the memoirs, he had this report on the tournament itself. This is it. Later he and I played some cheap banks, but I had to quit after winning the first game as my back gave out (probably a result of my train ride to New York city)..

Local player, “Tough Tony”Brewer took $1300 and first place in a Chicago bank pool tournament that featured some of the best bankers in the world. The tournament, held June 26th and 27th, 1993 at Chris’s Billiards, was double elimination, with each match a race to 23 banks -- the championship to 30.
Some of the big names from the 20 player field included Cincinnati players Gary Spaeth and Donnie Anderson, Gene Latham from Evansville, IN., Willie Munson from Milwaukee, and local favorites, Leonard “Bugs” Rucker, Freddy Bentivegna, and Jeff Carter.
Brewer won the tournament the hard way, coming up through the loser’s bracket to defeat Rucker 30 to 17 in the finals. Ironically, it was Rucker who sent Brewer to the loser’s bracket the day before.
The road to the finals for Brewer featured impressive victories over Latham (23-15), John Brumback (23-9), Spaeth (23-14), and finally Anderson (23-14), which he emphatically ended with a table –length bank of a ball seemingly trapped in the jaws of the corner pocket.
“Bugs” reached the finals pretty much unchallenged, including a 23-14 win over Anderson in the finals of the winners bracket. Rucker put the match away early with a spectacular tournament high run of 10 straight banks – the run earned him a $150 case donated by It’s George.
In the finals, both players struggled early on, but Brewer seized control for good on the second rack, outscoring “Bugs” 11 to 4 to take a 19 to11 lead, making table-length after table-length bank in precision-like fashion.
The two day tournament, which was directed and officiated by Paul Jones, with Ed Young as co-director, went smoothly, drawing a good-sized turnout. The success of this tournament makes one wonder why bigger tournaments of the same format, whether national or world, couldn’t be arranged.
Chris’s Billiards added $1,000 to the prize money, and there were also two Calcuttas of $1, 089 and $304. The tournament was co-sponsored by Helmstetter cues, It’s George cases, and Willard’s Scuffers.
--Carl Krach, counterman at Chris’s
Results:
1. Tony Brewer $1,300, 2.Leonard “Bugs”Rucker $700, 3. Donnie Anderson $500, 4. Gary Spaeth $300

Beard

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cool find Fred ! That was my first bank tourney. There was alot of great bankers
back in those days. JB

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
He had a bunch of old photos from that tournament too. I shoulda figured out some way to borrow them and make a copy.

Beard

Now you know why I nominated Tony for the Bank Pool Hall of Fame. He also beat Buddy Hall 6 in a row in my joint, North Shore Billiards, for $200 a game.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
He had a bunch of old photos from that tournament too. I shoulda figured out some way to borrow them and make a copy.

Beard

Now you know why I nominated Tony for the Bank Pool Hall of Fame. He also beat Buddy Hall 6 in a row in my joint, North Shore Billiards, for $200 a game.

Here ya go Freddy...I've got this one in my pool-picture files - Chris posing with Bugs and Tony after it was over...not the best quality, but better than nothing...

Bugs on the left - Chris Crisman, original owner of Chris's Billiards in the middle, and Tough Tony on the right ------>

- Ghost

PS, I was there...Tony was banking like God that night.

Attachments

• BUGS 2.JPG
    BUGS 2.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 1

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Here ya go Freddy...I've got this one in my pool-picture files - Chris posing with Bugs and Tony after it was over...not the best quality, but better than nothing...

Bugs on the left - Chris Crisman, original owner of Chris's Billiards in the middle, and Tough Tony on the right ------>

- Ghost

That is a good pic, especially since there are so few photos of Bugs. Tony has some more good ones, including a few of Paul Jones who was the official referee for the tourn. It was a tough field alright.

Beard

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
tony

tony

Fred,
Did Tony Brewer play in the 1988 bank pool tournament at South side billiard cafe? I think Spaeth won it, and you got 2nd. I drove up 12 players or so from Louisville that year, they gambled all night, and that ruined our bank pool chances in the tourney. Some guy beat Truman 3 sets for 500 per set that year, may have been Brewer,
Big Jim

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Fred,
Did Tony Brewer play in the 1988 bank pool tournament at South side billiard cafe? I think Spaeth won it, and you got 2nd. I drove up 12 players or so from Louisville that year, they gambled all night, and that ruined our bank pool chances in the tourney. Some guy beat Truman 3 sets for 500 per set that year, may have been Brewer,
Big Jim

Yes he did and I knocked him out (along with Truman and a bunch of others since I lost my first match and had to win a bushel to get to the finals). I dont remember Truman playing anyone for $ then. But Romberg, Tony Brewer, Howard the Coward, and Piggy all played in the tourn representing the SouthSide.

Beard

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
truman gamble

truman gamble

Terry Clark was backing Truman, and a clean cut black guy beat Truman 3 quick sets for 500 a set, the night before the tournament started.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Terry Clark was backing Truman, and a clean cut black guy beat Truman 3 quick sets for 500 a set, the night before the tournament started.

I'm guessing is was Kenny Romburg or Johnny Boy Skinner. It could have been Howard the Coward Meechum or Tough Tony Brewer, they were all there but were less likely to get a big stakehorse.

Beard

If you see Truman ask him who that was. I cant believe I dont remember it myself. Incidentally, I had to play all of those birds including Truman to get thru the losers bracket to the finals.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

- Ghost

As a side note to anyone interested .
There is a way to get rid of the Moire' effect you get when you copy halftone images like the one shown.
If you or your printer don't already know how, let me know.
I'm not talking about making it have more dots than it already does, by rescreening it.