Basic concepts

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Thanks for all replies, I have really gone overboard for this game, it's pretty much all I want to play. One thing I know I need to do is not get so mad at myself when I do make a mistake. I've been watching a lot of vid's and one thing I have noticed that everyone makes errors. When I'm watching the vid's I try to anticipate the next shot and surprisingly some times I'm right:heh

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Thanks for all replies, I have really gone overboard for this game, it's pretty much all I want to play. One thing I know I need to do is not get so mad at myself when I do make a mistake. I've been watching a lot of vid's and one thing I have noticed that everyone makes errors. When I'm watching the vid's I try to anticipate the next shot and surprisingly some times I'm right:heh

Practice by shooting 14.1 or drills, it's important to practice shooting too, not just moving. Mental endurance is huge in 1P, like most mental games, so work on that as well. Efren has said he never practices 1P or warms up with 1P (he prefers warming up with 15 ball rotation) so find what gets you in stroke fastest and most accurately.

GoldCrown

Verified Member

I'd love to get paid for every mistake I made or will make. Learn from them. Ask yourself how can I avoid doing that again. Leaving banks, bad safes, taking wrong shots, poor risk shots, etc.

keoneyo

Verified Member

The unique part of one pocket is capitalizing on your opponents "mistakes". Therefore part of ones weaponry is the ability to induce "mistakes". Observe and take notes of peoples flaws. Poker players do it all the time. "Folds to a 3 bet"." A calling station who wont believe a bluff". "Min raises a premium hand", etc. etc. Take notes.
Pool players dont do this enough.

Notice the flaws in players. Their technique and above all their mental status under pressure. Work on your flaws. I had a big problem shooting a long shot frozen to the head rail on the Brunswick. I been working on that.

Most pool players I know say "I shot bad" after a loss which means" normally I shoot good but I had a bad day." Totally unaware of their specific flaws they blame their loss on bad luck or the equipment. Your watching vids is a great start.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Very good advice.

The unique part of one pocket is capitalizing on your opponents "mistakes". Therefore part of ones weaponry is the ability to induce "mistakes". Observe and take notes of peoples flaws. Poker players do it all the time. "Folds to a 3 bet"." A calling station who wont believe a bluff". "Min raises a premium hand", etc. etc. Take notes.
Pool players dont do this enough.

Notice the flaws in players. Their technique and above all their mental status under pressure. Work on your flaws. I had a big problem shooting a long shot frozen to the head rail on the Brunswick. I been working on that.

Most pool players I know say "I shot bad" after a loss which means" normally I shoot good but I had a bad day." Totally unaware of their specific flaws they blame their loss on bad luck or the equipment. Your watching vids is a great start.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Also very good advice.

True, but not very "basic." I think you have to go a long way before analyzing your various opponents' flaws becomes the next most important thing on your list.

"What kind of car should I buy?"

Maserati, of course. :p

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I'm still pretty much a new player at 1P and was wondering what the more experienced players would suggest were say the three most basic do's and the three most basic don'ts for the game. I can already tell that this is the most complex game I am aware of, so trying to concentrate on doing as many things correctly as possible is sometimes quite difficult.

I am not as experienced as some here in this group, but I'll add to the growing list of excellent suggestions:

1) Do your thinking standing up. When I first started playing 1-pocket I would constantly second guess myself once down on a shot and my execution went down a couple balls from where it should have been. Once down on a shot, shoot it with conviction and confidence (I believe you would never sell out if you execute the shot as intended).

2) I would suggest practicing 1, 2, and 3 railers for both banks and kicking with proper speed. This can help you get out traps simply by kicking your way out, even if you don't get a rail you can still get on the correct side of the balls to escape that inning.

3) learn to read the pack.

Good luck,
Dave

bstroud

Verified Member
Learn how to match up.

One pocket is a gambling game and you can be the best player in the World and lose because you made a bad game.

Learn to bank well.

Taylor and Buggs were dominate because they could.

Bill S.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
3 Do's

1) Move balls towards your pocket while at the same time, not leaving your opponent a shot at his hole.

2) If there are balls down on the end rail near your opponents pocket, a very good shot is to put the cueball behind them. So cueball in between your opponents pocket and the ball near the end rail.

3) Always check the rack from time to time because as balls get shifted around, you could end up finding a dead one in your hole or one that gets very close that would be advantageous to shoot at.

3 Dont's

1) Don't be tempted to shoot at your pocket just because you have an open shot at your hole. If its not an easy shot or one you are 90% confident you will make, you could miss it and sell out a few balls or even the game if you miss.

2) Don't disturb balls or packs of balls when they lie in your favor and not your opponents. (Meaning if there are 2 balls tied up in the middle of the table and both go in your hole but neither one will go in your opponents, leave them be)

3) Don't try to be fancy. KISS (keep it simple stupid) on most shots. Shoot shots you can personally execute. The great thing about 1p is you dont have to be the best shooter and able to draw the cueball 5 rails. Play smart and patient and move the balls wisely.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Look at all of your options and then try to find another one. Once you decide, be confident that it's the same choice that you would have selected yesterday and would select tomorrow.
Try not to second guess yourself. Your choice of shots are determined by your skill level and no one knows your skill level better than you.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Look at all of your options and then try to find another one. Once you decide, be confident that it's the same choice that you would have selected yesterday and would select tomorrow.
Try not to second guess yourself. Your choice of shots are determined by your skill level and no one knows your skill level better than you.

Hey, Buster, you'd better stick to the advanced concepts. The basics have been so thick in your blood for so long you don't even have to think about them anymore. :heh

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Been trying to use some of the suggestion, right now I'm playing about 3 hours a day every day. The competion is somewhat limited since I'm in AZ at my winter home. We have just had our tables (9' Olhausens) at our room recovered in tournement blue Simonis 860HR. Some of the winter people have already left but most of the guys still here like to play 1P. Actually one of the better players has also started to play more 1P and we tend to match up quite a bit. He has a background in 14.1 and does play some good defense. I'll keep trying to improve.