Video interview with 'California Shorty'

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
'Come to the Table' I saw a short trailer clip of this on Facebook, but here is the long version:
[ame="http://youtu.be/3kEgHrWZMLA"]http://youtu.be/3kEgHrWZMLA[/ame]

Last edited:

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
Great money player. Birth name John W. Jacobs. Started playing pool at 9 years old in South Carolina, moved to New York in his teens where he got Cicero Murphy out of boxing and into pool. Finally landed in L.A. where he mentored the likes of Cecil, Arum, and Banking Mike.

Attachments

• shorty.jpg
    shorty.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 0

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
He stayed in Houston a few years, always broke. Hustled 14/1 Played fair, no action for that game. Thirty or so players there he couldn't beat playing anything else. Just as full of Baloney then as on the tape. :)
Rod.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
He stayed in Houston a few years, always broke. Hustled 14/1 Played fair, no action for that game. Thirty or so players there he couldn't beat playing anything else. Just as full of Baloney then as on the tape. :)
Rod.

Well he was from South Carolina so. You know...What can you expect?

baby huey

Verified Member
Shorty was a character around LA in the late 60's and forward. He could play some and would bet his money, whatever he had, any time he had a game. He was the low man on the Totem Pole from what I call the New York invasion which happened around the mid 1960's. Those players included, Johnny Ervalino, Jersey Red, NY Blackie, Lou Bramlett, Alibi Al, Joe Veasy, Harry Cohen, Danny Diliberto, Marvin Henderson, Black Nate and many others. Many were not originally from NY but learned to play there and mostly how to hustle pool there. Pool action in Southern California was great during those years and one could get a game just about any time they wanted to. I think John Henderson said in a thread some time back that you couldn't drive 5 minutes in Southern California without finding a pool room. I think it's more like 50 miles now a days. I knew Shorty well and if I had a trip to make like to San Diego or up to San Francisco, I would often take Shorty with me because I was assured I wouldn't fall asleep at the wheel with all his non stop talking. He was great.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
We should be careful what we say, one day it may your old broke down ass that somebody put a picture of in here.
What will some slick say about you?

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
Rod.

You know, when I watched the tape and he talked about playing at LeCue in the 1960's I figured you must have known him. It's good that you added your opinion, I think.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Rod.

Now that hurt, Rod. One of the few guys mentioned on here that I actually remember playing. I aspired to be a 14.1 player back then (occasionally ran 100 or so) and made a few donations to his cause.

What really hurts is I played better then at 16 or 17 than I do now and was getting beat down by a "fair" player even then.

PS. I'm headed your way tomorrow evening to do a little fishing out of San Leon. They say there's a 40% chance of thunderstorms & I'll be taking my cue just in case. Might get a chance to meet you if the weather runs us off the water.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Now that hurt, Rod. One of the few guys mentioned on here that I actually remember playing. I aspired to be a 14.1 player back then (occasionally ran 100 or so) and made a few donations to his cause.

What really hurts is I played better then at 16 or 17 than I do now and was getting beat down by a "fair" player even then.

PS. I'm headed your way tomorrow evening to do a little fishing out of San Leon. They say there's a 40% chance of thunderstorms & I'll be taking my cue just in case. Might get a chance to meet you if the weather runs us off the water.
"Clicks" Hwy 290 and Hollister.
Be happy to meet ya. :)
Rod.
713-701-1175 before 200 PM.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
We should be careful what we say, one day it may your old broke down ass that somebody put a picture of in here.
What will some slick say about you?

It wasn't a pic, it was a video of him, taking about beating every living player and running 35 racks of nine ball. :frus
Rod. (AKA Slick)
P.S. I doubt you'll ever see my pic, but for sure you'll never hear any of that ridiculous crap from me.

JAM

Verified Member
Shorty was a character around LA in the late 60's and forward. He could play some and would bet his money, whatever he had, any time he had a game. He was the low man on the Totem Pole from what I call the New York invasion which happened around the mid 1960's. Those players included, Johnny Ervalino, Jersey Red, NY Blackie, Lou Bramlett, Alibi Al, Joe Veasy, Harry Cohen, Danny Diliberto, Marvin Henderson, Black Nate and many others. Many were not originally from NY but learned to play there and mostly how to hustle pool there. Pool action in Southern California was great during those years and one could get a game just about any time they wanted to. I think John Henderson said in a thread some time back that you couldn't drive 5 minutes in Southern California without finding a pool room. I think it's more like 50 miles now a days. I knew Shorty well and if I had a trip to make like to San Diego or up to San Francisco, I would often take Shorty with me because I was assured I wouldn't fall asleep at the wheel with all his non stop talking. He was great.

I thought Black Nate was from D.C. Didn't he have a nephew that played pretty sporty named Jake? May be a different Black Nate. :)

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
It wasn't a pic, it was a video of him, taking about beating every living player and running 35 racks of nine ball. :frus
Rod. (AKA Slick)
P.S. I doubt you'll ever see my pic, but for sure you'll never hear any of that ridiculous crap from me.

If we all were the same life would suck. Martin Kaiman aka Omaha Fats ''told the truth also'' :D. I was even MORE surprised years later when I realized his place of residence was Denver since I thought Colorado people were athletic and in shape, not Rotund:lol.
Allot of em back then were very lonely men and it made their disorder, affliction, poverty or whatever was going on odd, but nowadays there's a name for each. I think I still got something, just haven't figured out what it is 'yet' :frus

lakeman77

California Shorty

California Shorty

thank you Daniel, the interview is classic pure pool gold.