Wille Hoppe Professional Cue

firesteel

I've posted this cue elsewhere online and received comments which answered some questions and raised others. I think it's safe to say it's from the early 1940's. I thought I'd share it here for your perusal and thoughts.

It is physically sound, tight and solid throughout. The collar is of brass; the handle is wrapped with leather. The shaft rolls with a noticeable wobble; the butt rolls quite true. The ivory has a couple cracks in it. The "Willie Hoppe" signature appears to be applied above the finish. The owners signature is in the wood under the finish.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I've owned 6 or 8 like that but not with the owners signature. I doubt it's from the 40's but I don't know. These were the first two piece cues I remember.
Cuemakers take these and make Willie Hoppe conversions.
Rod.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
I've owned 6 or 8 like that but not with the owners signature. I doubt it's from the 40's but I don't know. These were the first two piece cues I remember.
Cuemakers take these and make Willie Hoppe conversions.
Rod.

...it could very easily be from the 40's (pre '43 as the brass was used for the war effort)....I sold about three like the one pictured...and about a dozen of the house cues ...on Ebay for Buffalo Billiards (all they wanted were the butts...and tossed the rest).......most everyone that bought them....bought them for the "Hoppe Points"......

......I even got $225 from a Canadian for a scuffed up old Mali butt that was made from a Hoppe Blank with the colored Points......He sent Me pics of the finished Cue...talk about a ....silk purse from a sows ear.....:lol

....back in the day ....many of the top Cue makers bought the blanks from Brunswick....and added the inlays, joints and wraps...of their own design...

beatle

Verified Member
some are collecting these now. so you may get up to 800 depending on whatever. but as said they were too fat in the butt for nowadays and even then, so are turned down and made into conversions. 200 to 400 for the butt depending on wood and points.

other wise these are neet cues but nothing special to anyone but the owner.

firesteel

some are collecting these now. so you may get up to 800 depending on whatever. but as said they were too fat in the butt for nowadays and even then, so are turned down and made into conversions. 200 to 400 for the butt depending on wood and points.

other wise these are neet cues but nothing special to anyone but the owner.
Thank you...

firesteel

Authentication

Authentication

Thanks to all for the input. Considering the questions which have been raised I think I will go through the trouble and expenses of having the cue authenticated and graded. So many variables such as the signatures, label, butt plate screw, collar screw, etc.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Thanks to all for the input. Considering the questions which have been raised I think I will go through the trouble and expenses of having the cue authenticated and graded. So many variables such as the signatures, label, butt plate screw, collar screw, etc.

I'd let the next generation garni$h its value....leave it in your will. I saw soooooooooo many of these cues around IL in the sixties that it most likely will have minimum value. I'd pass it along to a family member, it will probably become a collectible in the 22nd century.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Considering the questions which have been raised I think I will go through the trouble and expenses of having the cue authenticated and graded.

A lot of folks will tell you what something's worth,(IE Coins, Stamps, Currency, Diamonds, Drugs, Real Estate, Autos, but won't buy it or tell you where to sell it for what they appraise. :eek:
Rod.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have a Willie Hoppe with the same joint and label -- but not personalized like yours. I bought it back in early 80's I think. I used it for a while but the butts on those are kind of fat, so I retired it. I can post a pic later

firesteel

Most of the info I've seen indicates my cue is from the 40's, and if that label info is correct that would put it early 40's, pre-war as the collar is brass.