Improvement

chicagomike

Verified Member
Any recommendations on how to improve your game, videos, lessons etc

I started learning the most when I started watching old accustats tapes with proper commentary. Best commentators included Billy Incardona, Danny Diliberto, Jeremy Jones, Freddy Bentivega(Freddy the Beard), Grady Matthews. There are others, but those are a few of my top picks.

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Bmoretallpaul, Howdy;

I've been trying to improve my banking and have tapped into the collective.
What it all comes down to is pick an area you want to improve and start
focusing on it. Find or ask for some drills that others use that may flip the
switch but the best thing is getting some table time to practice and do the drills.

hank

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

To improve you have to put the time in on the table, simple as that.
Find some pocketing drills , banking drills , kicking drills , speed drills and go get on a table with no distractions for at least 2 hours a day 6 days a week.
If you don't see marked improvement in 1 month , take up another hobby.

johnnytronic

Verified Member

Drills, drills, drills...
You have to practice as perfect as you can, like every ball of that drill is your hill ball. I see most guys practicing and they just bang them around. IME you can actually go backwards with that method.

Knowing what you can execute vs what you wished you can execute...Tame the ego in that area.

Don't just play onepocket, it will hurt your stroke over time. I'm not exactly sure what the ratio of one pocket vs rotation that needs to be played but I can say my ball pocket-ability and confidence stepped up noticeably after spending time playing 9ball and 8ball tournaments.

Practice pocket speed banks and hard banks back to back. Sometimes if you want to run more than a ball you are going to have to bank the ball very hard. IF you spend too much time only banking at pocket speed you won't have the confidence banking hard.

Learn how to draw the ball well. I notice a decent amount of onepocket only players can't draw the ball well. Again, 9ball will force you to draw the ball longer distances than one pocket.

I can go on and on but these implemented for a year will have you notice a difference.

Practice more then you play....

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
My .02 on improving...first I would make sure your fundamentals are rock solid. Setup, stance, grip, bridge, head position, stroke, and pre shot routine. This will lay a solid foundation to build on.

Note you should constantly work on maintaining your fundamentals. It is very easy to stray away from what you built.

From there work on OFFENSE....that is pocketing balls from long and short positions, banking, kicking, combinations, and caroms. When you are proficient in all aspects of making balls from EVERYWHERE with all types of English then should you start working on moving. Remember moving won’t do you any good if you cant punish your opponent when he makes an error.

To learn moving, watch videos....closely.... and listen to the commentary. If you pick up one or two moves it was worth the time. Play better players, ask questions. Lastly pay attention when playing lower level players. They may execute a shot that is totally wrong but it turns out great. Was it really executed wrong???

Be a spong and enjoy the journey!

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
My .02 on improving...first I would first make sure your fundamentals are rock solid. Setup, stance, grip, bridge, head position, stroke, and pre shot routine. This will lay a solid foundation to build on.

Note you should constantly work on maintaining your fundamentals. It is very easy to stray away from what you built.

From there work on OFFENSE....that is pocketing balls from long and short positions, banking, kicking, combinations, and caroms. When you are proficient in all aspects of making balls from EVERYWHERE with all types of English then should you start working on moving. Remember moving won’t do you any good if you cant punish your opponent when he makes an error.

To learn moving, watch videos....closely.... and listen to the commentary. If you pick up one or two moves it was worth the time. Play better players, ask questions. Lastly pay attention when playing lower level players. They may execute a shot that is totally wrong but it turns out great. Was it really executed wrong???

Be a spong and enjoy the journey!

Long live the spongs!!!

Nice post Ben.

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
Drills, drills, drills...
You have to practice as perfect as you can, like every ball of that drill is your hill ball. I see most guys practicing and they just bang them around. IME you can actually go backwards with that method.

Knowing what you can execute vs what you wished you can execute...Tame the ego in that area.

Don't just play onepocket, it will hurt your stroke over time. I'm not exactly sure what the ratio of one pocket vs rotation that needs to be played but I can say my ball pocket-ability and confidence stepped up noticeably after spending time playing 9ball and 8ball tournaments.

Practice pocket speed banks and hard banks back to back. Sometimes if you want to run more than a ball you are going to have to bank the ball very hard. IF you spend too much time only banking at pocket speed you won't have the confidence banking hard.

Learn how to draw the ball well. I notice a decent amount of onepocket only players can't draw the ball well. Again, 9ball will force you to draw the ball longer distances than one pocket.

I can go on and on but these implemented for a year will have you notice a difference.

Practice more then you play....

Thank you for good advice