Yet another reality check

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
I say it weekly, but moving is overrated.

If moving was worth anything at all, a guy like our own ghost could do really well in a pro tournament like the derby occasionally, correct? I really believe that proves it

^ Wrong. The only thing you "proved", is that you don't know what you're talking about...

Here, let me give you some free advice: It's not very smart to make definitive statements when you're not in possession of the facts...

The fact is, I've done well and finished in the money in many pro tournaments...and in these tournaments, beating, or going hill-hill with: Cliff, Grady, Jeremy Jones, Shannon Daulton, Parica, Richie Richeson, Gabe Owen, David Matlock, John Schmidt, Billy Palmer, Rafael Martinez, etc, etc....

And I accomplished that with top speed moving, not shooting :cool:

Here's documentation of just some of that >>>

Attachments

• 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000TOURNAMENTS.JPG
    00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000TOURNAMENTS.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Red Shoes

Verified Member
From
Park Forest Illinois
"IF" you don't think MOVING can not cancel out SHOOTING at times your DEAD WRONG....Generally 45 years old does not SHOOT as well as 35 years old & 55 years old does not SEE as well as 45 years old.....you get my drift. If shooting was the END ALL then none of us would play past 40 years old. In ONE POCKET even if the ball hangs in the pocket (as long as I controlled the cue ball) your still in control. GHOST plays just fine and has his share of SCALPS taken in battle.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I know it is not really "geometry", but I like the word so I am going to use it :)

Winning at a game like One Pocket is a simple geometry between offense and defense to determine who gets to 8 balls first. To score balls you need to get a shot. The moving game is what generally gets you to that first shot. Then your offense needs to take over, and you get what your shooting skills are able to get you, off of that first shot. For great shooters like the cream at DCC, even getting one shot can get them a lot of balls. Lesser shooters will not get so many balls on their chances, so that is where the shooter picks up an advantage. But if the shooter does not get all the way out, here comes the possibility of the mover doing what they do best, and again getting first to the shot. And so on and so forth, and that "beating your opponent to the shot" gets the mover into a few more wins at times.

So the geometry is simple -- the mover generally gets the edge in "first shot" opportunities, but the shooter makes more out of their shooting opportunities. In case you are wondering yes of course I oversimplified because the cream of the shooting crop (even if they do not know the game that well), simply have the skills to take advantage of some moves as well as some first shots, that a lesser shooter has to be careful of. That gives them another edge.

But there it is in a nutshell if you ask me.

Finally, nice work in those events Ghost, and we missed you yet again at the Derby, but you would have been really tormented by the lack of table access, as it was by far worse this year than any prior year.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It's safe to say that if one-pocket were simply about shooting, Steve would never have bothered to start this website. And probably few of us would be playing the game. The entire basis of one-pocket is defense and moving.

~Doc

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
It's safe to say that if one-pocket were simply about shooting, Steve would never have bothered to start this website. And probably few of us would be playing the game. The entire basis of one-pocket is defense and moving.

~Doc

I should really be angry at one pocket.
If all there was to play was 8 ball, 9 ball, straight poo, banks and caroms, I would have happily quit playing pool, 30 years ago.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Bruce

Bruce

He was one of the gate keepers in the big events, I know how that works. There always was a smaller group of those players, whether it be 9 ball, one pocket or the other games, these guys ''get in the mix'' cause they know the game, and like a good game and cash often. These are the guys that keep the top players on their game. They know if they slip up, it will cost em.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
^ Wrong. The only thing you "proved", is that you don't know what you're talking about...

Here, let me give you some free advice: It's not very smart to make definitive statements when you're not in possession of the facts...

The fact is, I've done well and finished in the money in many pro tournaments...and in these tournaments, beating, or going hill-hill with: Cliff, Grady, Jeremy Jones, Shannon Daulton, Parica, Richie Richeson, Gabe Owen, David Matlock, John Schmidt, Billy Palmer, Rafael Martinez, etc, etc....

Thank you Mr. Ghost.

The phrase "Tell it like it is" is reverberating in my head. :heh

OldSchool

Verified Member
Great post Ghost.

Really hard to believe that this guy El Chapo (he took the screen name of a guy who has killed women and children - go figure :rolleyes:) posted up the words: "If moving was worth anything at all". That's by far the dumbest thing that was ever said on this forum since it's inception. What is this guy even doing here on a one pocket site - he should be hanging out on a 9ball site.

Old School

unoperro

Verified Member
Great post Ghost.

Really hard to believe that this guy El Chapo (he took the screen name of a guy who has killed women and children - go figure :rolleyes:) posted up the words: "If moving was worth anything at all". That's by far the dumbest thing that was ever said on this forum since it's inception. What is this guy even doing here on a one pocket site - he should be hanging out on a 9ball site.

Old School

And you should work for Fox news:sorry

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member

Here's documentation of just some of that >>>
This seems like a good time to ask for a bigger spot.

pj
chgo

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Reality check: Ghost, you obviously fared well back on those days, but today's players are a notch or two above your generation.

https://www.facebook.com/Alloutpool/videos/278795599458683/

peter
one could post videos of tony making his increduble shots without showing the ones he misses
in round one they went in for tony and tony won 50k
in round 2 they didnt and he lost 50 k
so what does that say about shooters??

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
Tony dogged many easy shots in match #2 because he wasn't comfortable playing on that table. Aranas didn't miss a shot, and his shot making ability is above Tony's.

peter
one could post videos of tony making his increduble shots without showing the ones he misses
in round one they went in for tony and tony won 50k
in round 2 they didnt and he lost 50 k
so what does that say about shooters??