Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > Journals
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2017, 01:36 AM
Verified Member

Default Father-Son Matches

Austin and I went to the last high school golf practice of the year last night, after the coach reached out to me late last week. We agreed it would be good for him to meet the team and vice versa. The high school team struggled this year to understate it a little. Let's just say Austin (5th grader) won't be a freshman soon enough for the coach. Austin played from the red tees, since they don't have junior tees. He started out one putting the first 4 holes! The others were looking at each other and laughing. The one kid said he was going to hide Austin (60 lbs) in his golf bag and bring him to sectionals, lol. There is another 5th grader who can hit it longer than Austin, but he can't score like Austin. It will be exciting to watch these two kids growing into the game. I hope they can push each other and make each other better.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:36 PM
Verified Member

Guess who just beat me outright...

Austin (@10 yrs)

Last edited by youngstownkid; 09-28-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Verified Member

Austin beat me 7 games to 2 today! If he keeps banking like he did today heís losing a ball from his spot!

MM
Old 06-12-2018, 01:17 AM
Verified Member

I played one pocket with Austin tonight for the first time in a couple months. (I havenít been playing much in that time, but I tried getting back into it about 3 weeks ago. (To make a long tangent short, Iíve been dealing with other new hobbies, getting hurt, and doing an outdoor project, and just took a break from pool.)

Anyway, Austin asked me if I wanted to play, so I wanted to take advantage of it. He hasnít been interested in playing more than a game here and there, but said heíd play a race to 5. We have been playing 13-3 for a while now. Itís a pretty fair spot but he might have me down if weíre being honest, which is good because I want him to enjoy playing.

He broke the first game and won before I got to 10. He broke the second game and I didnít even realize heíd broke twice in a row, which shows how mentally rusty I am. Good breaks both times too, the second was actually really tough to get out of. I tried two-rail kicking at a ball near his pocket but misjudged the play of our newly re-felted table, and left him a hanger. He didnít run out but ended up winning to get up 2-0. I get it tied at 2. Then itís 3-2 him. The next game I scratched twice in a row, then the next time I bump the CB in my practice stroke and three fouled! So heís up 4-2. I get it tied at 4. Itís now match game and his break...

He broke kinda I guess but I didnít notice at first because I was focused on the corner ball going straight into his pocket. But it was way too hard since the CB ended up in the middle of the top rail. He had a shot though, and made it, leaving himself a crossover bank. His big brother heckled him before he got down on his ball and he started giggling then stopped and said he was going to make it. I told him the truth, than I hoped he did make it (because I didnít remember him ever having a 3&out from the break). He hit it and the moment the object ball started moving I knew it was dead center pocket.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:23 PM
Verified Member

Tonightís putting contest was pretty special, because of where it took place. Austin qualified for the ďsub-regionalĒ round of the USGA Drive, Chip, and Putt competition. (If you guys have watched enough coverage of The Masters then you may be familiar with the final round taking place at Augusta during Masters week.).

This is our first trip to Nemacolin Woodlands

Just gorgeous! I donít know what building this was, and still donít...we got lost.

Biggest putting green Iíve ever seen! Took us an hour to find it, lol.

If things go well tomorrow then our next special putting contest may be at Muirfield.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Verified Member

Austin is the DCP Subregional Champion!

Next stop is Muirfield Village, trying to qualify for the finals at Augusta next year during Masters week.

Last edited by youngstownkid; 08-02-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:52 PM
Verified Member

He looks like heís dressed up for a snooker match...
Old 07-26-2019, 01:44 PM
Verified Member

Austin entered the USGA DCP again. This year we signed up a bit late, so we drove to Westmoreland CC south of Pittsburgh. He did good in driving, hitting all three drives straight down the middle with distances of 189, 190, and 191. His first chip was pretty short, but his other two were ok. His first putt was a tad right, his second he lipped out, but his third he hit a bit too hard. He just missed qualifying by a few points despite not having his best day.