All ball fouls question

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
I don’t play all ball fouls, but we were the other day. It seems the partners games have started playing that rule. Anyway a question was brought up by Joekerley in the event a player is for instance Cueball buried in the stack as in this very senerio. Can the player just touch any ball other than the cue ball and spot one up?~T

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I don’t play all ball fouls, but we were the other day. It seems the partners games have started playing that rule. Anyway a question was brought up by Joekerley in the event a player is for instance Cueball buried in the stack as in this very senerio. Can the player just touch any ball other than the cue ball and spot one up?~T
i would think that is not a legal stroke so the penalty would be more severe

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Could be construed as a forfeit for not attempting a legal shot. Integrity of the game is just as important as touching balls, if you are playing touch fouls. If you are wearing loose clothing, an attempted set up and having your sleeve brush against a ball would be construed as a legal foul. You should have enough control to make a bridge and touch a ball with your stick. Me, I shake two bad and have to pay all the time with touching two balls. Sometimes if my shaking is bad enough, I could forfeit the game by moving half the stack. Getting old is great as long as I keep waking up.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Could be construed as a forfeit for not attempting a legal shot. Integrity of the game is just as important as touching balls, if you are playing touch fouls. If you are wearing loose clothing, an attempted set up and having your sleeve brush against a ball would be construed as a legal foul. You should have enough control to make a bridge and touch a ball with your stick. Me, I shake two bad and have to pay all the time with touching two balls. Sometimes if my shaking is bad enough, I could forfeit the game by moving half the stack. Getting old is great as long as I keep waking up.

I hear ya Bill! I have the same problem.
I felt it would be loss of game. Just didn’t know for sure.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Excuse me fellas, but this is a perfect example of "stupid" rules causing some uber perfectionist individual to test the rule causing others to create yet more rules.

Someone has to introduce some reason to this in order to not turn OP into a complete farce. We need to think abut the unintended consequences of rules we promote. Why does it matter if the player declares an intentional foul by touching a ball as opposed to touching the CB with his tip?

What happens today playing CB fouls only, where moving two balls is a foul, and I walk up to the table a touch two balls, that is a foul right?

It's like the new rule on trapping a CB in the pocket and someone calling an unsportsmanlike foul and loss of game, ridiculous. The 3 foul rule was created to handle this type of situation. Whomever starts with an intentional, if his opponent returns a foul, will face either taking a shot or losing the game, that's good enough and we don't need another rule. Same applies here.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
One Pocket Guy, actually you have posed a good question. It is always good to ask; "what if", and I believe you have come up with a new one, at least new for the current generation of Cue Ball Foul Only babies.

To answer your question: I believe under All Ball Fouls rules, it would be in OP a 1 point foul, loss of turn or better yet a 'concession of turn', and the ball remains in position, or option to be restored, for it was an intentional act.

There are a few tournaments that still play All Ball Fouls, but I believe the players either have earned their right to play in them or are invited, and thus are smaller but prestigious tournaments. Therefore are able to have the matches refereed.

The early historical general rule writings were wrote much simpler, for at that time 14.1 was considered the game, and the championship game, and they were refereed. So much was put on the referees, and not so much detail was put into the written rules.

But with that said, your act is intentional, and intentionally disturbing an ob could result in screwing up the position of the balls in your favor or not, thus if I were the referee, I would call an intentional foul, and under our rules 6.6 the player would have the option to have the balls restored. Which I would like see upgraded to have a further option of having ball in hand, and of course our rules can be subjected to unsportsmanlike conduct, in which case I would offer up to your opponent the option of ball in hand.

Also, if one wanted to ploy this trickery, that intentionally moving two or more balls is a loss of game, which I would call. Surprise, Surprise! Check rule 10.2, I believe this would or could be applied in this instance. But, in any case I would apply it for it is such a flagrant unsportsmanlike act, of which a referee under our rule 6.6 has the discretion to do so. Whitey

Last edited: