Derby City once again showcases the best of the best

lucky13

Wow!!!
Watching Efren leaves one breathless.......and maybe a little jealous.
This year I watched him take on the likes of Joyner, Dueul, Immonen, Buddy Hall, and many other top players. Not one of them could come close to playing like the Magician.
He dominates every field with seemingly little effort.
Next year I look for him to sweep the DCC by winning the bank tournament as well.
He's a pleasure to watch and his super personality is simply an added treat.
I took my video camera and recorded some great "after hours" one pocket matches. Maybe I can learn something useful by watching the master at work.
I think Corey Dueul will be a great one pocket contender in future match ups.
Anyone else on the action at DCC?

George Fels

Verified Member
From
Chicago
A future best?

A future best?

In addition to agreeing with everything you said and everyone you mentioned, I saw an outlandishly good 9-ball player they said was from New York. His name is Tony Roberto, lefty, appears to be in his early 20s. Anyone know anything about him? I was really impressed. GF

lucky13

On Lefty

On Lefty

I didn't get to see him play, but you aren't the first person who has mentioned him to me. Several people seemed to be equally impressed and curious.
I will dig around and see if I can get some info, but if I don't I'm sure we'll get to see him again next year!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
George Fels said:
In addition to agreeing with everything you said and everyone you mentioned, I saw an outlandishly good 9-ball player they said was from New York. His name is Tony Roberto, lefty, appears to be in his early 20s. Anyone know anything about him? I was really impressed. GF
Tony Ruberto is from the Boston area, and is one of the top 'young guns' around here -- along with Jared Clowery. Neither of them has put much effort into learning One Pocket, but as you saw, they can fire 'em up real well at 9-ball.

Diana Hoppe photo from AZ

Tony is a real entertaining guy that seems to thrive on a little crowd and enjoys being on either end of a little woofing. He matched up with Larry Lisciotti on one of the bar boxes at Spot Shot (Portland ME) one year, when Larry was in well-lubricated form, and talking the entire set. Larry got a big chuckle from the crowd when he said, "Tony Ruberto beats Larry Lisciotti; it don't even sound right!" Indeed, that time Tony appeared to get a little the worst of it.

He's been to the DCC at least the last couple of years, and in fact drew Parica in One Pocket once, and beat him in one of those 9-ball style fire away performances that can do that against even one of the best movers.

George Fels

Verified Member
From
Chicago
Tony Ruberto et al

Tony Ruberto et al

Thanks for the info, Steve. By the way, where do they match up in the Boston area? My son went to college there for four years and claimed he never saw a single bonafide action poolroom (obviously, BBC and Jillian's don't count). Thanks. GF

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
George Fels said:
Thanks for the info, Steve. By the way, where do they match up in the Boston area? My son went to college there for four years and claimed he never saw a single bonafide action poolroom (obviously, BBC and Jillian's don't count). Thanks. GF
The three rooms I am most familiar with are all outside of central Boston: Brighton Billiards in Brighton -- owned by Dave Egdahl, who is an excellent straight pool player himself, btw, but his room is best known for One Pocket; World Class in Saugus, which features the best three cushion tables and players in the Boston area, and gets its share of pool action; Renaisance in Quincy, which seems to have taken over the local 9-Ball tourney action. Although it is one of those 'Upscale' rooms, Boston Billiards does get a smattering of action -- maybe because it is in the heart of town.