Misc stuff for you heading to the member tourney

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
I don’t know if this will be of any use to you guys visiting California or not but hopefully, someone would find it useful.

California charges 10 cents per bag if you buy stuff from a store or restaurant. It might be a good idea to bring your own tote or something if you don’t want to pay the bag fee.

San Francisco restaurants seem to have some extra tax on top of the sales tax.

The Presidio area in front of the Disney Museum is opened for picnics. There are food trucks, a place to buy alcohol, and sometimes various performances and demonstrations.

Some small mom and pop restaurants charge for a container to take your leftovers and also take out condiments eg packets of ketchup.

Here’s some extra attractions that might be of interest to someone.

-Escape rooms at the San Francisco Palace of Fine Arts.
Houdini and Roosevelt rooms play 6-10 people ages 16 and up.
Rooms are $400 each
3362 Palace Drive
www.palace-games.com

-Waterfront tours with Emperor Norton
$20 per person
Departs Ferry Building on Sunday Mornings. Downtown tours depart Union Square Thursday
and Saturday.
Www.emporornortontour.com

- Water taxis
Stands next to various restaurants
$5-10 cash only for hop on hop off service
sfwatertaxi.wixsite.com/sanfranciscowatertaxi

- Musical stairs
Pier 39 at Beach and the Embarcadero
Open daily at 10 AM

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
-Rosicrusian park and museum
$5-9 per person
Open Wednesday-Sunday
1660 Park Avenue, San Jose
www.egyptianmuseum.com

-Wave organ
Jetty that forms San Francisco Marina Small Craft Harbor
Park at Crissy Field and walk to jetty.
Best heard at high tide

-Ice Cream Tour at Fenton’s Creamery
kidcentric tour lasts 90 minutes and includes soda jerk hat, sticker and ice cream sample
Tours require 8 people and start at 11AM. No tours Tue and Thursday
Tickets are $7-277 with latter including kid lunch and junior sundae bar
Can be customized for adults.
4226 Piedmont Ave, Oakland
Www.fentonscreamery.com

-Hakone Estate and Gardens
18 acres of authentic Japanese garden
$8-10
open daily
21000 Big Basin Way, Saratoga
www.hakone.com

-Treasure Island Wineries
sftreasureisland.org/island-wineries

jay helfert

Verified Member
I'd like to know what places are close by California Billiards as we will probably be using Lyft or thumbing a ride to get around. Thanks

Masta Cruz

From
Fresno, CA
California billiards sits in the middle of a pretty good array of restaurants and grocery. Just behind it sits Walmart. Not a super one that’s 24 hours but a normal one with a McDonald’s I believe.

There’s a large Chinese/sushi buffet across the street

Next to that is a handful of Chinese and Indian food places ranging in size

Across from the doubletree hotel is a Starbucks and subway. Gyro shop and some other little places.

Down the street a mile or two a shopping mall and movie theater sit.

I’m always pretty happy when I come out there for tournaments and stay at doubletree. Just about everything is very close and comfortable. It also gives my mother some things to do rather than be stuck in the hotel while I’m in the pool room all day and night.

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Yeah, what Chris said.

If you want to look around farther, the BART(subway) is not to far away so you can visit San Francisco. I think they have a "destination guide" on their website.

twister

Verified Member
From
Boston, MA
I live in the area, so if folks have questions on things to do or places to see, happy to throw out ideas. One thing to be aware of is that traffic can get pretty gnarly around here during the week (thank the local Silicon Valley economy for that), so budget extra time if you're planning on using the highways during a workday.

Good news is that the weather is always awesome here and there's tons to do, be it in SF, Oakland or elsewhere. I'd highly recommend visiting one of the various state or national parks with redwoods if you never have seen them in person as it's quite an amazing experience.

If you're a nerd (like me), then this is a pretty magical place too:
http://www.computerhistory.org/

jay helfert

Verified Member
I live in the area, so if folks have questions on things to do or places to see, happy to throw out ideas. One thing to be aware of is that traffic can get pretty gnarly around here during the week (thank the local Silicon Valley economy for that), so budget extra time if you're planning on using the highways during a workday.

Good news is that the weather is always awesome here and there's tons to do, be it in SF, Oakland or elsewhere. I'd highly recommend visiting one of the various state or national parks with redwoods if you never have seen them in person as it's quite an amazing experience.

If you're a nerd (like me), then this is a pretty magical place too:
http://www.computerhistory.org/

I've been to the top of Mt. Tamalpais and the view of the entire Bay area is awesome from up there. It's in Marin County in Muir Woods, close to the city.