John Schmidt vs Louis Ulrich

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
No sleep tonight, so I've been looking over some videos and found another good one.

Schmidt vs Ulrich

This was in the 2012 West Coast Challenge. Even though Schmidt won the 2009 Derby City one pocket on the strength of his ball striking, cue ball control and general knowledge of pocket billiards (which shocked him more than anyone else) it seems he's still missing some of the nuances of 1P that other top players know without thinking. Despite this, he's obviously a threat to beat anyone any time.

I was not familiar with Louis Ulrich, and was surprised to see how well he plays the game. I'll bet our West Coast players know him well.

Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did. (runs 1:56:38 )

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
No sleep tonight, so I've been looking over some videos and found another good one.

Schmidt vs Ulrich

This was in the 2012 West Coast Challenge. Even though Schmidt won the 2009 Derby City one pocket on the strength of his ball striking, cue ball control and general knowledge of pocket billiards (which shocked him more than anyone else) it seems he's still missing some of the nuances of 1P that other top players know without thinking. Despite this, he's obviously a threat to beat anyone any time.

I was not familiar with Louis Ulrich, and was surprised to see how well he plays the game. I'll bet our West Coast players know him well.

I remember playing Schmity 1P about 20 years ago in NYC. He made balls from everywhere. It was a quite a show

u12armresl

Verified Member
Great game and stream, the huge 8 ball in the lower left corner makes it difficult to focus on the pocket and surrounding area.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Great game and stream, the huge 8 ball in the lower left corner makes it difficult to focus on the pocket and surrounding area.

Yeah, I think it's some kind of logo for POVPool. It comes and goes and I'm pretty sure it's visible quite a bit less than half the time. (Bothered me a little too.)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

I too enjoy watching Schmidt. He's a real athlete who approaches the game in a professional manner. His technique is near flawless. I saw him in CA/NV when he hit the scene, then again when he was houseman in Mobile.

But Scott really handed him the DCC title. He couldn't keep the CB out of the hole! Two of the games John won were when the balls were all spread open nicely, and Scott came up with some of those "occult" scratches, where you don't see them as a possibility, but into the dark they go. They were both routine run-outs for Schmidt.

I think he's a bit of a gash hound too, and a real boob man. Every woman I've ever seen him with has a helluva rack! You can't fault a guy for that...

~Doc

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Schmidt vs Ulrich

Schmidt's 2009 D.C.C. title is mentioned in this post:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showpost.php?p=82572&postcount=1

Dennis

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA

Schmidt vs Ulrich

Louie was one of the best players in CA and hung it up a while back. Runs a Mortgage Co. in San Diego I believe. Very good player and great person to go along with it.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Louie was one of the best players in CA and hung it up a while back. Runs a Mortgage Co. in San Diego I believe. Very good player and great person to go along with it.

Nice to know but sorry he hung it up before I found out.

We need to get him and sappo back in action.

C'mon Keith... your fans are waiting. :)

tucson9ball

Verified Member
From
Tucson Arizona
Nice to know but sorry he hung it up before I found out.

We need to get him and sappo back in action.

C'mon Keith... your fans are waiting. :)

sappo(user name) lives here in Tucson. His name is Keith but I think you are referring to McCready? Different Keith.....

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

Along with being one of the nicest pool players I have met (john excluded, he is the best!).