Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
this was posted on azb
your thoughts on helpfulness
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k05ivfyaE18[/ame]

bstroud

Verified Member
This was a favorite proposition of Eddy Taylor.

The difference from the video is that Taylor would bank with speed.

I practice it myself often.

Bill Stroud

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
I still like the Beards drill from his book, it is the one on Grady's tape where you set the balls up on the diamonds and bank without hitting another object ball...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
My opinion doesn't count for much, but this doesn't seem like a helpful drill at all.

if you take away the side pocket banks
how successfull can you bank into the corner pockets???
you never know when a shot like this comes up.
if this is too easy for you then you are right its not helpful.
if you struggle then it helps you bank balls that are on the rail.
what do i know??

John Brumback

Verified Member
I just throw the balls on the table.I like having different shots all the time.
Buggs would throw 3 balls on the table, and I think, with the cball on the spot then bet he get's all 3.I practice that some too.

I shoot alot of long cross corners.I set the oball up In the middle of the table
and set cball with ball In hand linded up dead and try to fire In a bunch In a row.Cross sides same way.I don't do many drills.Only a couple.John B.

KSager

From
Pataskala, OH
Drills

Drills

It is not something I would spend much time on myself.

I practice a lot of cross corners and cross sides starting with the cue ball close and moving it further away progressively at different positions. I do the same thing for straight back banks.

One thing I have been working on more lately is throwing a few balls around in the area between the break spot and foot rail. I then put the cue ball behind the headstring and work on shooting long shots to hit a ball and bring the cue ball back up to the headrail. Kind of like practicing safety play for nineball, boring at times but important.

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
Well I think that you should practice the banks that you would try to play position on the next ball. Because you definitely need to make those, and be confident doing it.

Of course every bank is worth practicing a little bit.

But when the CB is frozen to the rail it's much different than when the CB is 1 inch from the rail. And I think most bankers are going to look for another shot, even if it's a longer shot.

As for the 2 rail banks and the long cross corner, those are just safe shots where you are more worried about placing the cueball on the rail than making the bank.

Of course this drill won't hurt you, but I don't think these are the kinds of shots that the great bankers are looking to shoot.

And I've watched John, Piggy, Freddy, and all the other great bankers, and they aren't shooting these shots very often at all.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Well I think that you should practice the banks that you would try to play position on the next ball. Because you definitely need to make those, and be confident doing it.

Of course every bank is worth practicing a little bit.

But when the CB is frozen to the rail it's much different than when the CB is 1 inch from the rail. And I think most bankers are going to look for another shot, even if it's a longer shot.

As for the 2 rail banks and the long cross corner, those are just safe shots where you are more worried about placing the cueball on the rail than making the bank.

Of course this drill won't hurt you, but I don't think these are the kinds of shots that the great bankers are looking to shoot.

And I've watched John, Piggy, Freddy, and all the other great bankers, and they aren't shooting these shots very often at all.

IMO that drill would be alot better for onepocket banks than bankpool banks.Like you said though,It can't hurt shooting them.John B.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
MY fav.....

MY fav.....

......drill is to put the CB next to an OB so Im shooting jacked up.After 10-20 shots like that I'll throw the balls anywhere and shoot without being jacked up over a ball.Makes me smile alot.My favorite drill though is put the balls in a row at the second diamond and put the CB about 12"-15" away.Then I put down my cue,walk over to the fridge,grab a beer and see whats on AMC or TCM.If nothing good is on,I go back to work.Another good day at the table,cheers,James