Frost reply - Ochoa v frost 3

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Ok. Sylver left frost here. He's down 0-3 in balls. The one is by Sylver's pocket (in case you really haven't been paying attention :) ). WWYD?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402332289.966503.jpg

8andout

Verified Member
What frost would do

What frost would do

Not necessarily what i'd do. Or maybe play the 3 ball off the 1 ball coming back.

Attachments

• frosty.jpg
    frosty.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
There's no one on earth that could execute that shot 1 out of 10 times. Just getting the cue ball to stun at the angle you need with that much English while jacked up on the rail would be a feat in itself, let alone getting the cue ball to travel 3 cushions and at the right speed to get behind the 1.

I would consider removing the one by either billiarding off the seven or kicking off the head rail with a touch of left as that dark solid looks to be in the natural kicking lane. If those two options looked sketchy, I would take a foul on top of the nine and wait for a better opportunity.

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Well, the image does not offer much to work with but my take has a couple options from what I can make out from this angle. First, I see no offensive shot here other than the bank on what looks like the ten. This is total offense and I would consider the game lost if I fail to make the bank. Not the best situation to be in if that was my only choice. But it isn't. Second choice; carom off the ten to pocket the one. This is a thin hit and not easy to execute but this may be my best option as I see it. The ten should end up on the bottom rail so as to not give up a bank on that ball. The third option is a double carom into the one ball. I will have to go back to look at the table to see which ball is which. I will edit this in a moment. :)

Tom

Looks to me like the eleven-seven then into the one ball. I'm not particularly fond of this shot because it opens up the balls on my opponent's side of the table and possibly gives up a side rail bank, but beggars can't be choosers.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
I'm playing a 3 rail kick to side rail short and try to get behind 1 ball.

backplaying

Verified Member
I'm going to bank the 13 on the stripe by the spot and try and double him up leaving the cue ball as close to the center diamond on the short rail as I can. The only other thing I see is kicking the 1 three rails.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It looks to me like he can see a fairly full hit on what looks to me like the 10 ball (2nd diamond up from the 1). If so, he can do a left "high karate" hit on the 10, and have the CB either take out the 1, or make it. Doesn't leave much either way.

The 3 rail kick might work, but it takes a very accurate hit. I think that the one-rail kick is not on unless the shooter uses english, which makes the shot much harder. Plus it's easy to scratch if the CB comes short.

The thin carom off the 7 ball might be possible, but its a razor thin slice. It might be easier off the stripe nearer to Frost's pocket.

I guess whatever Frost hit didn't work out too well, if Ochoa ran out from there...:(

~Doc

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Might take a couple of shots to get out of this

Might take a couple of shots to get out of this

I think the only way out of this trap is to roll on the top stripe in the stack (10?) If you lay up there, and hide the ball by your pocket maybe you get something better next shot. Todd

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

I would consider removing the one by either billiarding off the seven or kicking off the head rail with a touch of left as that dark solid looks to be in the natural kicking lane.

Nice call SB! Scott lined up and loaded up with left and played the cue off the seven into the long rail, expertly kicking the one away and leaving rocky in the corner.

Mid shot.....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402366624.165965.jpg

And the leave....ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402366658.736788.jpg

Incidentally....this is also not the turn where Ochoa runs out(sorry). It was one or two turns later.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
My guess is that Frost wasn't trying to get behind the one and kick it out. Rather, he might have thought he was gonna billiard the one in and that, if he did, the cue ball would get back towards the middle of the table, leaving Ochoa out. Accordingly, he used a lot of left to keep it nearer to the bottom rail.

From the position he was in, it is hard to believe he planned on loading the cue ball with left and accurately getting behind the one. However, maybe he felt like the situation was dire and was swinging for the fence.

Whatever his thought process, he got a great result from the position he was in.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Nice call SB! Scott lined up and loaded up with left and played the cue off the seven into the long rail, expertly kicking the one away and leaving rocky in the corner.

Mid shot.....
View attachment 10172

And the leave....View attachment 10173

Incidentally....this is also not the turn where Ochoa runs out(sorry). It was one or two turns later.

I thought cutting the ten in and kicking the one out was the shot. If the one lines up for Scotts hole, jelly. I'll go back and see what he shot. Dammit Doc, give us no bodies a chance to embarrass our selves. You always get in their first and who wants to go against you? I don't.

Not even a shortstop, a batting cage.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

My guess is that Frost wasn't trying to get behind the one and kick it out. Rather, he might have thought he was gonna billiard the one in and that, if he did, the cue ball would get back towards the middle of the table, leaving Ochoa out. Accordingly, he used a lot of left to keep it nearer to the bottom rail.

From the position he was in, it is hard to believe he planned on loading the cue ball with left and accurately getting behind the one. However, maybe he felt like the situation was dire and was swinging for the fence.

Whatever his thought process, he got a great result from the position he was in.

I think he was actually playing that kick. It was a razor thin hit as it was, and I think Scott knew he would need that left to get to that one ball and clear it. But who knows.

Edit: I just watched it again and it looks like you are probably right. I will try to post the shot.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I thought cutting the ten in and kicking the one out was the shot. If the one lines up for Scotts hole, jelly. I'll go back and see what he shot. Dammit Doc, give us no bodies a chance to embarrass our selves. You always get in their first and who wants to go against you? I don't.

Not even a shortstop, a batting cage.
Ha! Kind words, Bill, but I'm a "nobody" like most of us on the site.:D There are only 4-5 "somebodies" that post here. I'm just a broken down ole never-was 1P enthusiast...:cool:

~Doc

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
I think he was actually playing that kick. It was a razor thin hit as it was, and I think Scott knew he would need that left to get to that one ball and clear it. But who knows.

Edit: I just watched it again and it looks like you are probably right. I will try to post the shot.

Thanks so much for the videos and screenshots! It looks like he was indeed trying to get behind it, which looked tough to do without scratching. Wonderfully conceived and executed take out shot! Sometimes you feel like you're seeing some 1p from 40 years ago when Scott is playing - he knows and shoots all those really smart and aggressive shots that folks like Ronnie Allen were famous for.

The reason I thought he might not have been trying to get behind it is because I was picturing him fully loading the cue ball with reverse. It looms like in the video he was able to get just enough to enable a take out.

A great shot, to be sure.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Ha! Kind words, Bill, but I'm a "nobody" like most of us on the site.:D There are only 4-5 "somebodies" that post here. I'm just a broken down ole never-was 1P enthusiast...:cool:

~Doc

Ill tell you why I chose the ten ball cut. I have seen you and other top pros cut that with speed and your cue ball goes about five feet. Myself, I couldn't make that shot because my eyes are too weak to see the shot clearly. Even if I did shoot the shot, my cue ball goes where?:lol:lol:lol You may think your a nobody, but to me your a speacial one pocket somebody that I have great respect.:):)

8andout

Verified Member

Frost is likely to do anything when he gets in a trap. That's why i posted my ridiculous shot early in the thread.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member

He shot it pretty quickly, so I'm thinking he figured chances were "something good would happen". If he was trying specifically for the kickout, I think he'd have taken more time/care - but then he IS Scott Frost.

pj
chgo