G. mathews vs. N. Varner 2000 D.C.C.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I like this shot except I would roll the two ball to the rail, rather than banking it out to the middle or my side of the table. Easier to control the speed and placement of the cue ball for me.

By "looks good" I only meant to say that the angle he was showing was good for where he said the CB was going. I don't like the shot his way either. If I'm playing something here that doesn't have a chance to put balls in my scoring zone I want perfect CB placement, which I think is in the corner. IOW, I like your way if the 2 (I think the ball we're talking about is actually the 4) is the shot. Jamming his rail up may have more value later than getting the 4 closer to my long rail... it already goes in my pocket.

Rare case of my disagreeing with wannabe.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Yeah, I only drew the direction it was traveling, it's hard for me to judge the speeds without knowing the cloth, rails, etc. I think to get whitey that far it will bank further.

I took it that Hendy was talking about cutting it thinner to send CB more toward the corner and move the 4 ball only near the rail.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

That's what he's talking about, but to get whitey to the corner for the double-up, everything is traveling a lot farther than you've indicated. For me it's a "blast 'em and see what happens" shot. Getting the right amount of juice to get CB to the double-up zone would be pure guesswork for me

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I took it that Hendy was talking about cutting it thinner to send CB more toward the corner and move the 4 ball only near the rail.

Ah! I see now, that would really jam that long rail up.

I don't like any of the 3-rail the cue ball out to top shots here, if you don't have the speed perfect and you leave a shot, he's out. I simply don't take that kind of chance unless I really know for sure I'll get safe.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I don't like any of the 3-rail the cue ball out to top shots here, if you don't have the speed perfect and you leave a shot, he's out. I simply don't take that kind of chance unless I really know for sure I'll get safe.

Yes, it's very aggressive but I do like the angle here. I'm more confident about hitting the safe zone here than if I were playing Jeff's shot. I have a better feel for the right amount of english.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Yep,

That's it Larry, and if you really stroke this shot and hit the 10/12 ball with the 6, there is no problem with the balls going back over to his side. They all favor moving over to my pocket and rattling around, might even rattle one in. I'd shoot it in a heartbeat and hope the chalk held.
i like it too
and could get the cue ball where it needs to go...:D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I like this shot except I would roll the two ball to the rail, rather than banking it out to the middle or my side of the table. Easier to control the speed and placement of the cue ball for me.

Grady agreed with you. He hit both tits of the pocket with the cueball but stayed above.

gm shot.jpg

gm leave.jpg

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I think having the 4 on my side is a better shot, and scratching would have been losing.

Yeah, scratch would have been killer. How could Grady hit the 4 that bad? I don't think you would EVER scratch playing his shot.

Anyway, won't he conveniently play off the four if it's on your side? Might be a better ball for him than for you on this inning.

What will he/did he do with the balls as Grady left them? I don't see any good return.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Yeah, scratch would have been killer. How could Grady hit the 4 that bad? I don't think you would EVER scratch playing his shot.

Anyway, won't he conveniently play off the four if it's on your side? Might be a better ball for him than for you on this inning.

What will he/did he do with the balls as Grady left them? I don't see any good return.

It ended up being a strong shot, but the disaster was looming and he got very lucky. The 4 on my side, as long as it's not too near the rail, would let him have something to see but it might also block him getting down behind the rack.

From here I probably take a foul and really lock him down, one of these two options.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It ended up being a strong shot, but the disaster was looming and he got very lucky. The 4 on my side, as long as it's not too near the rail, would let him have something to see but it might also block him getting down behind the rack.

From here I probably take a foul and really lock him down, one of these two options.

I hope Dennis will tell us what Nick did from there. Probably the same thing he would have done if Grady hadn't hit it so bad and gotten lucky in the pocket instead of just near it.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Sure, but I didn't mean my question in the WWYD sense, but how much better would he like what he had if the 4 was on Grady's side for him to use?

Something like this would be ideal if I hit it right. Although Grady's shot ended up being much stronger.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I hope Dennis will tell us what Nick did from there. Probably the same thing he would have done if Grady hadn't hit it so bad and gotten lucky in the pocket instead of just near it.

I agree, I would like to know what Nick did from here also, this is a great WWYD from here.