Trying to find a placement of balls for One Ball One Pocket

u12armresl

Verified Member
Looking for a way to practice with someone and we would like to play on the last ball, since most agree this is where lots of great shots come from.

What position would you think to start out in where you both need one. Is below a good starting position? Not much accuracy in cutting that ball in nor in banking it cross corner. Is there a better place to put the balls where someone doesn't have an immediate shot at their hole?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4HADU4PbCi4Qcxs3Rchq@[/CUETABLE]

senor

Verified Member
I always played one ball one pocket like this, and it was agreed that the first shot could not be an offensive shot. Ball in hand behind the head string. This was the shot of choice for the "break" shot:

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4HAOk1POHe4Qcxs3Rchq4cAOk3cawI3cYYt1kOHe4kBtW4kEfm4kboV@[/CUETABLE]

u12armresl

Verified Member
Thank you for your reply.

I was wondering if you think there would ever be arguments on what an offensive shot was.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
u12armresl said:
Thank you for your reply.

I was wondering if you think there would ever be arguments on what an offensive shot was.

NOPE

I also always played the game the same way as Senor. It's the worlds fastest one pocket game ,every other shot, it's either your shot or your rack. I played 11 hrs. once and have never been more tired, my opponent played up tempo as I do and I don't remember ever having a chance to even sit down.
Rod.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
You can start like this. You can also play that for your opening shot, you have to drive the object ball to one of the other rails -- you cannot cut it directly into the pocket. You can four-rail it. Some people hit it well. See page two.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AAWk1PByi4Qcxu2RAPM2mAPM2mALU1mceV1mdHF2mAwJ1mAPLza1qMTmBreak_box_for&pocket_A&ZZ@4AAWk1PByi4Qcxu4UAWk4UbeJ2UMOn2UbAu4UadW4Uadd4UbClzc1kByi3kBEW3kDpl3kbYP1kbhr1kPYl1kFLazc@[/CUETABLE]

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
u12armresl said:
Looking for a way to practice with someone and we would like to play on the last ball, since most agree this is where lots of great shots come from.

What position would you think to start out in where you both need one. Is below a good starting position? Not much accuracy in cutting that ball in nor in banking it cross corner. Is there a better place to put the balls where someone doesn't have an immediate shot at their hole?

Imo, unlike Steve's type of starting point, I don't think that the opening shooter should have to shoot with that much distance to start the game - the goal of practicing one ball One Pocket is not to have the first shot possibly win or lose the game. That said, here's a few good neutral starting points for you - first shooter has pocket A - you don't want the first shooter to have an advantage, or an offensive shot available to him, but he should be able to play a simple safety in order to get the game started on a neutral path >>>

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3HYar4PADW4Qcxs@[/CUETABLE]

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2HXFU1PATU4Qcxs@[/CUETABLE]

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2HAVG2PWyG4Qcxs@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

beatle

Verified Member
if just practicing try putting the cue ball on the head spot and the last ball an inch or so on each of the diamonds and play the 15 games who wins eight gets it. each first shooter must shoot at the pocket on the other side of the ball. this way you get to see most of the basic situations that come up.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This is a good discussion because one of these years we should have a One Ball One Pocket tournament at DCC. It could something in the AZ/1P room. Or open it up to pros. Either way, we would need to establish rules.

When I have played, if someone scratches, an extra ball comes up so now they would need two balls. But if we are trying to do a fast moving format, that could slow things down it if was open ended. One possiblity would be that you would lose if you already needed two balls and then you scratched again (so you would need three balls normally -- but instead needing three balls would be considered loss of game).

Or, you could make any scratch a loss of game. That would really keep things moving, but would be a little harsh, although if you were playing a race to some number of games, that would mitigate a little.

What do you guys think?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Here's an idea

Here's an idea

What about letting the "racking" player place the object ball wherever they want, with the stipulation it has to be at least a ball's width off the rail, and cannot be within a diamond of their own pocket? Or maybe wherever they want as long as it is at least a diamond away from their own pocket. You could also stipulate the cue ball has to start on either the head or the foot spot always (but again, the racking player could choose either the head or foot spot game by game).

This way, you could mix it up a bit more every game for the break, and also have a little strategy/gamesmanship in the break layout itself.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
NH Steve said:
What about letting the "racking" player place the object ball wherever they want, with the stipulation it has to be at least a ball's width off the rail, and cannot be within a diamond of their own pocket? Or maybe wherever they want as long as it is at least a diamond away from their own pocket. You could also stipulate the cue ball has to start on either the head or the foot spot always (but again, the racking player could choose either the head or foot spot game by game).

This way, you could mix it up a bit more every game for the break, and also have a little strategy/gamesmanship in the break layout itself.

Steve, those are not rules, those are anti-rules. everyone would end up racking in the same (best) place. I suppose you're speaking about the 1st. shot not safe?
Rod.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Imo, unlike Steve's type of starting point, I don't think that the opening shooter should have to shoot with that much distance to start the game - the goal of practicing one ball One Pocket is not to have the first shot possibly win or lose the game. That said, here's a few good neutral starting points for you - first shooter has pocket A - you don't want the first shooter to have an advantage, or an offensive shot available to him, but he should be able to play a simple safety in order to get the game started on a neutral path >>>

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3HYar4PADW4Qcxs@[/CUETABLE]

Ghost, I've made this shot many times after a bad break by my opponent. Are you saying you must play safe from here ?

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
androd said:
Steve, those are not rules, those are anti-rules. everyone would end up racking in the same (best) place. I suppose you're speaking about the 1st. shot not safe?
Rod.
Yes, the first shot could be whatever they wanted to shoot in this case because the "racking" player would essentially be playing safe by placing the balls in a location that they considered safe. I thought adding free choice of mixing up the starting positions might add some interest -- not sure what you mean by anti rules...

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
NH Steve said:
Yes, the first shot could be whatever they wanted to shoot in this case because the "racking" player would essentially be playing safe by placing the balls in a location that they considered safe. I thought adding free choice of mixing up the starting positions might add some interest -- not sure what you mean by anti rules...

Steve, I gotcha now. I think the words "where ever "prompted the anti rules comment.
Rod.

Skin

Verified Member
I think this would be an interesting game. Start out with the cb and ob whereever, but when the ob is made in the shooter's hole, it scores a point and comes back to the spot after which it is the next player's shot. It would be basically a game of one-and-safe (or is that one-and-stop?) for both players. I've never played it, so I can't say how well it would work. Race to 8 points or something, maybe?

Skin

Last edited:

u12armresl

Verified Member
correct lol

you want to arm wrestle not very many ppl get it maybe I need to change it.