Josh Roberts Best Black Player In The World

Trebor

Verified Member
From
Action, USA
Is it safe to say that Josh is the best black pool player in the world. I know he must be at the top in 1hole, but what do you guy's think?

Before him, i'd have to say Mark Tadd & then Cliff Joyner. All time best would be Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker, IMHO.

Maybe we could get Dr. Bill to chime in on this one.

Trebor

Verified Member
From
Action, USA
Not even close

Not even close

I believe that I am the best player of my height, weight, and race in my zip code.

His name escapes me but the fat bald guy who wears the cool 'Iron Maiden' T-shirt and lives around the corner from you sir. This guy could give you 10-6 ... And btw, i heard about your next door neighbor, the blonde. She gave you the 8 and the last two on a barbox and it was a stone heist :eek:

Jim McCary

Verified Member
I played Josh about a year ago in a tournament. Drew him as my first opponent. In a race to 3, I did win one game. Got lucky, he hung a ball with a lot of balls on the table and spread out. I was 8 and out. After that I never seem to get a shot that I could even drive a ball to the rail I was locked up so tight. He is really really smooth and just keeps you locked up. He gets my vote as the best black player and is in my opinion in the top 5 in the country.

Jim Mc

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
I still like Ike. Josh may play rotation really well but Ike still plays all pool games well.

Even if he is past his prime I don’t want to play him even at anything.

B

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I still like Ike. Josh may play rotation really well but Ike still plays all pool games well.

Even if he is past his prime I don’t want to play him even at anything.

B

Sorry Col. Bille,
I’m in the other court... if Josh can handle the slow play of Ike, he wins easily imo...Ike’s a rung or two down from Josh these days imo...8/7 or 10/8....and I’d still bet on Josh... Pag could give Ike 10/7 11/7 and still win, but not Josh.. 10/8 might get played by Josh and Pag...

Mr. Long or Mr. Cardone would know more about it, as they are more familiar with it than I am, I’m just spitballing here and guessing on how they might play...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Sorry Col. Bille,
I’m in the other court... if Josh can handle the slow play of Ike, he wins easily imo...Ike’s a rung or two down from Josh these days imo...8/7 or 10/8....and I’d still bet on Josh... Pag could give Ike 10/7 11/7 and still win, but not Josh.. 10/8 might get played by Josh and Pag...

Mr. Long or Mr. Cardone would know more about it, as they are more familiar with it than I am, I’m just spitballing here and guessing on how they might play...

i too think josh is a straighter shooter
and knows the game

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Sorry Col. Bille,

You are correct Jeff - Ike would need about 10-8 from Josh...I've watched Ike play Chris Gentile many times at Chris's for $100 a game over the last few years - their game is Chris gives Ike 9-8.

And as for best black One Pocket player today..it may be Josh, but also, it might be a tie between Josh and Evan Lunda....Evan gives Chris Gentile a ball, and two months ago Evan beat Jeremy Jones for $5,000 playing even.

- Ghost

Trebor

Verified Member
From
Action, USA
Ike Runnels plays about dead even with Richie Richeson. Which is pretty darn good but at least 2 balls under Josh Roberts, imho...

bstroud

Verified Member
Is it safe to say that Josh is the best black pool player in the world. I know he must be at the top in 1hole, but what do you guy's think?

Before him, i'd have to say Mark Tadd & then Cliff Joyner. All time best would be Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker, IMHO.

Maybe we could get Dr. Bill to chime in on this one.

I would say Marvin Henderson.
He played all games very well.
He also had the best stroke I ever saw.

Bill S.

bstroud

Verified Member
No doubt that Buggs was the best at one pocket.

I thought we were talking about the best all around Black player.

Bill S.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Bugs, without a doubt, BEST black 1P player ever!

Most people don't know that Bugs played pretty sporty 9 ball also, about Willie Munson's speed.

Oh wait, I think he could play a little banks too! :rolleyes:

I only saw Bugs play straight pool once, he could run 50-60 balls! Too much talent not to!

BTW, Marvin had a beautiful stroke to look at, (smooth) but, nothing that special back in the day!

El Chapo

Verified Member
I have always fely Mark Tadd was one of the best players ever, as in color don't matter. But that was only for a short period of time unfortunately. I am not sure how many top players he got to play either. I was there five feet from him trying to get a game out of efren at the bicycle club and let me just say efren was not seeming like he wanted to get anywhere near him... meaning the game he was supposed to give and everyone knew it he would not give. Tadd just kept saying something like "you guys are always in dead punch and you play everyday but you wont give nuthin up".

He was trying to match up with all them guys, like busty who had just gotten over here. Let me tell you what none of them wanted anything to do with giving him even the slightest spot. I wish i could remember specifics better, but i do remember he could not get i believe a ball from efren and i also remember the filipinos seemed like they just wanted him to disappear, ie it was the one time i saw them scared to be honest. Billy knows all about this stuff i hope he chimes in too, maybe i am off.

Last edited:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Ike Runnels plays about dead even with Richie Richeson. Which is pretty darn good but at least 2 balls under Josh Roberts, imho...

I’ve played both of these guys fairly recently. I’d be placing my money on RR if they are playing even today.

Terry Hanna

Verified Member
From
Las Vegas Nevada
Josh plays all games top notch 8 Ball, 9 Ball,10 Ball,One Pocket and Banks.

He's a great bar table player too and in my opinion he's one of the best all around players in this country.

Josh is great commentator too, especially One Pocket commentary.

28946873_10211096537399340_1842713964_o.jpg

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I would say Marvin Henderson.
He played all games very well.
He also had the best stroke I ever saw.

Bill S.

Bugs is about my favorite player ever -- aside from Efren. I wish I had seen Bugs a little earlier -- I first saw him in about 1992 at Strawberry's tournament. Bugs -- like Efren (but different shots for sure) -- it seems like you would never know what he was going to shoot, so a lot of fun to watch from a fan perspective.

But I agree from all I have heard, Marvin Henderson would get the nod in terms of all around.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Bugs is about my favorite player ever -- aside from Efren. I wish I had seen Bugs a little earlier -- I first saw him in about 1992 at Strawberry's tournament. Bugs -- like Efren (but different shots for sure) -- it seems like you would never know what he was going to shoot, so a lot of fun to watch from a fan perspective.

But I agree from all I have heard, Marvin Henderson would get the nod in terms of all around.

This is what makes the world go around, opinions, and gambling! :D