You'll Be Up Here Yet

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Here is my version, with a slide show of photos of many of the deceased players mentioned in Dennis's poem, along with other deceased players not necessarily mentioned, but that most of you will recognize.

[ame]http://youtu.be/B9cz9GLTFE0[/ame]

[YOUTUBE]B9cz9GLTFE0[/YOUTUBE]

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Glossary

Glossary

Dennis or I should do a glossary of just who are the people being mentioned. I'm sure everybody doesnt know all the constituents, ie., Lori is Lori Shampo, Kieckheifer is the 20s billiard champ, Augie Kieckheifer, Waterdog, Horseface,etc.

Beard

I took a tiny bit of literary licence with Dennis's original poem as I was 3/4's bombed at the time. Plus I am not as good as some (sic) with the telestrator.

It was a great poem, and I was very moved as I was reading it. (as were many, many others)

Dennis or I should do a glossary of just who are the people being mentioned. I'm sure everybody doesnt know all the constituents, ie., Lori is Lori Shampo, Kieckheifer is the 20s billiard champ, Augie Kieckheifer, Waterdog, Horseface,etc.

Beard

I took a tiny bit of literary licence with Dennis's original poem as I was 3/4's bombed at the time. Plus I am not as good as some (sic) with the telestrator.

It was a great poem, and I was very moved as I was reading it. (as were many, many others)

Freddy, it doesn't take much (these days) for you to be 3/4 bombed. Besides, you don't need to be 3/4 bombed to take literary license. You do it just fine on the natural. You did a fantastic job of the reading. Lots of heart.

Clare

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
It only takes a couple now...

It only takes a couple now...

Freddy, it doesn't take much (these days) for you to be 3/4 bombed. Besides, you don't need to be 3/4 bombed to take literary license. You do it just fine on the natural. You did a fantastic job of the reading. Lots of heart.

Clare

The two "free" drinks provided at the dinner got me halfway there immediately.

More glossary, Waterdog -- Donny Edwards from Waterbury, CT. Was born a heroin junkie right out of the womb. (seriously) Horseface -- so named by Cornbread Red -- Harry Aperff (sp) from Detroit. Babyface -- Alton Whitlow from Detroit. Salami -- Freddy Salem -- Detroit.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Beard

Freddy,

Nice job with the reading of it at the DCC HOF, I enjoyed your version and the manner in which you did it.

Here's a post from the original thread, it's a copied NY Times article from 1918. Now we've covered de Oro also.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Here's a small clip from the 1918 New York Times:

KIECKHEFER TAKES TITLE.; Wins Three-Cushion Billiard Championship from de Oro.

CHICAGO, Feb. 8.--Augie Kieckhefer of Chicago won the world's championship at three-cushion billiards from Alfredo de Oro of Cuba by scoring 50 points to the former champion's 31 in tonight's play, giving him a total of 150 to de Oro's 126 for the entire match.

I'm guessing that you are aware of Augie's business in Chicago.

Kieckhefer Chalk.jpg

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Beard

Since there is so much garbage being posted here lately I thought I'd post a bit about "Lauri", IE: Onofrio Lauri.

http://www.poolmag.com/store/index.cfm/fuseaction/feature.display/feature_id/23/index.cfm

Dennis