You vs. opponent 21

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
This is a wwyd that I put up a few years ago, and I thought I'd put it up again with all of the additional members that we have now...last time it was up we had some lively disagreeing on what was the right thing to do - especially between Dr. Billy and 'Freddy the Beard' :heh

It's your shot --- your pocket is at the top left --- score is 7 to 4, you're ahead, and you're playing in a hill-hill tournament match against a strong player --- the pockets are 4-3/8" --- so wwyd - go for the win right now (shooting which ball?) or give him his 14ball? ----->

Attachments

Last edited:

Nick B

Verified Member
Against someone who moves about my speed I'm giving him his ball. Against someone that out-moves me (Ghost) I'm about 60/40 on rolling the 11 ball in so I shoot it and break Bruce's heart. 80% of the time if table is true I can put that in the jaws. With the 1 ball there it makes scratching behind my ball no good.

A good mover may never give me another better look.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
I'm shooting the 11 straight in. I'm normally a B player at pocketing balls but for some odd reason long straight in shots off the rail i'm very confident in making

LSJohn

Verified Member
I'm shooting the straight-in, and not slow-rolling either. Comfortable stroke speed. I want it side-pocket high if I miss. I would love to make his ball for him, but I'm going to give up a nearly-free straight-back on the stripe in the middle if I do, so fire away!

lethalmoto

Verified Member
Not a real big fan of any of the options here, so I'd have to shoot the 11 at pocket speed so if I missed it is sitting in my hole as a threat.

Kybanks

Verified Member
There is no need to shoot a tough shot here and lose if you miss. Make the 14 and go to the next inning.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I'm stroking the 11 straight in the hole for the cheese..if I miss, he is not winning from there so I still get another shot if I miss the 11.

poolisboring

Verified Member
im shooting the 14 in..... he now has to run the last 3 with the cb in the jaws of his pocket--i like my chances.......i dont like shooting the 11 because it could hit a point of my pocket and go towards his hole--seen it happen more than a few times--and lost when it happened......

vapros

Verified Member
Absolutely, I give him the 14 ball and wait for any decent shot that does not begin with Jojo in a pocket. Also, if I go for my winner, it's the 1 ball and not the 11. I see that's not the popular choice - maybe it's just something about helicopter pilots and Honda drivers. My chances of making that 27 foot shot on the 11 are not so good.

beatle

Verified Member
if you can make a ball over 50% of the time then its a no brainer on shooting. that would make you well over winning 80% of the games.

but i think i could knock the 14 out so that becomes the auto shot if thats possible.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
If the 14 can be dug out of there, that's the shot. But if not, I would have to roll the CB into the 14 just hard enough for it to fall into the pocket. The best leave would be CB frozen to the foot rail by his pocket.

It would, however, leave a free and makeable bank on the 11.

Here's my thinking on chosing the 11 or 1: if a guy has a 90% success rate on shots exactly like the 11, shooting off the pocket iron, then that's his shot. If he has only a 40% success rate on that exact shot (like mine is), then he's got to pass. If he does shoot it, I agree with John that he should use medium to firm speed so as not to leave a return cross-corner.

The 1 ball is the same thing, only it must be rolled in to leave hung if missed. If it bounces up the side rail a few inches, the opponent is going to make the 14, bank the 1, get on the 11-- and now it's hill/hill..:(

Now for funsies, especially while drinking, a guy could 2-rail "Z" the 1, and stun whitey into the 14. Raphael would, wouldn't he???

~Doc

Nick B

Verified Member
If the 14 can be dug out of there, that's the shot. But if not, I would have to roll the CB into the 14 just hard enough for it to fall into the pocket. The best leave would be CB frozen to the foot rail by his pocket.

It would, however, leave a free and makeable bank on the 11.

Here's my thinking on chosing the 11 or 1: if a guy has a 90% success rate on shots exactly like the 11, shooting off the pocket iron, then that's his shot. If he has only a 40% success rate on that exact shot (like mine is), then he's got to pass. If he does shoot it, I agree with John that he should use medium to firm speed so as not to leave a return cross-corner.

The 1 ball is the same thing, only it must be rolled in to leave hung if missed. If it bounces up the side rail a few inches, the opponent is going to make the 14, bank the 1, get on the 11-- and now it's hill/hill..:(

Now for funsies, especially while drinking, a guy could 2-rail "Z" the 1, and stun whitey into the 14. Raphael would, wouldn't he???

~Doc
Why firm/hard? There is a lot of value in hanging it in your pocket. As long as you don't bring the ball up more than 4-6" on the side rail he has no return other than getting rid of the ball. Firm just gives him another ball to possibly get shape on after potting the hanger.

Renegade_56

Verified Member
There is a double kiss shot there that moves the 14 to my side. I don't think it goes in my hole but may be close enough to leave him a straight back. I think I'll just slow roll it in for him and leave him stacked up to the far corner from his hole.

Tylerbob

Verified Member
Someone mentioned the key missing piece of information. How strong is my opponent? If I shoot the 11, can he possibly make three balls from there? If so, I pocket his ball and wait it out. Against a weaker player, I am firing away at the 11.