You vs. opponent 20 wwyd

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Something a little different --- your shot --- your pocket is at the top left --- score is 1 to 0, you're behind, you're going to 9, your opponent is going to 8 --- how would you choose to run the balls in order to run your 9 and out here? (somebody call Bill Stroud :heh ) ----->

Attachments

Last edited:

sappo

Verified Member
I can't tell you what order id run the 9 balls but i believe a big key is to open up that four ball cluster and i would try to open them right now while pocketing the 2 ball. once they are opened up there will be several options available to continue the run out. keith

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Something a little different --- your shot --- your pocket is at the top left --- score is 1 to 0, you're behind, you're going to 9, your opponent is going to 8 --- how would you choose to run the balls in order to run your 9 and out here? (somebody call Bill Stroud :heh ) ----->
This would be my first guess at this stage.

2 ball, cue into 6 ball at soft speed so it floats up a bit
9 ball, cue off the rail into 1 top of 1 ball at soft speed (around the 12)
12 ball
3 ball
6/5/15/10 depending
4 ball

Skin

Verified Member
1. 4 and back to pop the 5
2. 2 and over for the 14-13 combo
3. 13 then 14
4. cb off the 14 to out in the open to keep going

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
4/ split the 5/10 w/ soft speed opening the cluster, then the 2 to the 14/13 combo and depending on how you lay on the combo you make the 13 and go up for the 5 or the 9 or stay down for the 14 next, then go up for the 5 and the rest.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
You vs. opponent 20 wwyd

I can't tell you what order id run the 9 balls but i believe a big key is to open up that four ball cluster and i would try to open them right now while pocketing the 2 ball. once they are opened up there will be several options available to continue the run out. keith

I agree, Keith. Also, regarding which ball to start with.. I believe that the 2 needs to go first since it blocks several balls on our side.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
I would start with the 4 only because it will be easy to bust up the 4 ball cluster and by leaving the 2 you would have a easy shot or combo on the 2 if you get hung up on anything. If I bust the cluster good then I would shoot the 2 to clear the pocket. Also by leaving the 2 if you found yourself in a bad lie you could kick the 8 and by the 2 still being there you would have a lot bigger pocket with it being a sideboard. ---Smitty

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I'm typing from my phone so please forgive the typos. We are all in agreement that we start with either the four or two. I am of the firm belief the when possible, break clusters in one of two directions. Toward your side rail or toward the center of the table the two allows for that where the two does not.

Neither of these two balls block other paths because whichever you choose as your first shot, you playing shape on the other. Once the cluster is opened you will have ample options and can decide your next course of action

Tom

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
I like the 2 first into the 6. Easier shot and more options on either the 4 or 9 next if you miss a little and the cluster doesn't break out right

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
As far as breaking open the cluster on the initial shot, I'd shoot the 2 ball first. It's an easier bridge, and it's much more likely to leave a simple second shot. The 4 ball shot takes an awkward bridge, with more possible peril if the CB doesn't come off the cluster advantageously.

But I'd leave the cluster alone. Why put balls in position for my opponent if I miss the run out? I'd start with the 2 and come across to get on the combination right away. If the combo lays right I might even then try to get shape on the 6 ball.

After those five, I'd come up for the 9, then the 3, then the 11 to finish. It's easy from here...;)

~Doc

1pwannabe

Verified Member
I'm typing from my phone so please forgive the typos. We are all in agreement that we start with either the four or two. I am of the firm belief the when possible, break clusters in one of two directions. Toward your side rail or toward the center of the table the two allows for that where the two does not.

Neither of these two balls block other paths because whichever you choose as your first shot, you playing shape on the other. Once the cluster is opened you will have ample options and can decide your next course of action

Tom
The issue with the 4 first is that you can immediately get stuck under the cluster. This would end your run instantly. 14.1 teaches this lesson better than any game, you need to always work from above the balls if possible and be very wary of any shot that holds the cue towards the foot rail.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
As far as breaking open the cluster on the initial shot, I'd shoot the 2 ball first. It's an easier bridge, and it's much more likely to leave a simple second shot. The 4 ball shot takes an awkward bridge, with more possible peril if the CB doesn't come off the cluster advantageously.

But I'd leave the cluster alone. Why put balls in position for my opponent if I miss the run out? I'd start with the 2 and come across to get on the combination right away. If the combo lays right I might even then try to get shape on the 6 ball.

After those five, I'd come up for the 9, then the 3, then the 11 to finish. It's easy from here...;)

~Doc
You need 9 if I read this right...you'll have to break up clusters to run out.

baby huey

Verified Member
Pocket the two ball with inside english and come under the four ball touching the thirteen ball and opening it up. Then I would pocket the two ball and hit the side rail and touch the one ball and proceed from there. Pretty quick I would try to get high on the balls. I don't see any upside to opening up that four ball cluster just yet until I got the rest of the balls available. Anything can happen opening up balls when not necessary.

androd

Verified Member
Pocket the two ball with inside english and come under the four ball touching the thirteen ball and opening it up. Then I would pocket the two ball and hit the side rail and touch the one ball and proceed from there. Pretty quick I would try to get high on the balls. I don't see any upside to opening up that four ball cluster just yet until I got the rest of the balls available. Anything can happen opening up balls when not necessary.
Good eye, I like your plan.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
I like starting with the two ball and gently running into the five ball. This will open up the six and ten making them both playable to my pocket.
No matter how I hit the five ball I will always have a shot on the four or the nine ball. Starting with the four ball could easily get me in trouble. I agree that these four balls in at small cluster must be dealt with immediately.

Running the rest of the balls will depend on how that little cluster breaks up.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
ghost whats your opinion on the best way to run the balls?

jtompilot

Verified Member
I'm playing the 2 first. It's an easier shot and you can run into the 5,6, or 10 and still have another shot to complete the run out. I know Jerry want to use inside and that also works but the combo is on so you don't need to break it up. Pick your favorite