You vs. opponent 12 wwyd

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Your shot --- the ball score is 0-1, your opponent leading --- both going to 8 --- your pocket is at the top right, where the 8ball is --- the 8ball is easily makeable --- the 15-8 combination is makeable --- the 4-8 combination is makeable --- 4-3/8" pockets --- wwyd?

Attachments

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Another view ----->

Im glad it is so easy to roll the 15 ball in with the cue frozen to the end rail 9 feet away seeing how a guy that ghost admits shoots 100 times straighter than him sold out and had an easy reply.. I guess there isn't a good chance the Ghost would hang the 15 ball trying to make it? You guys all said how the Ghosts intentional was strong because he left the guy frozen and distance... well the same things that make you laugh can make you cry...

have a nice day:)
Here's another type/example of wrong words being used - but this time they're fantasy words - things that never happened:

"You guys all said" <-----REALLY? - how many is that - 20? 30? 50?

Attachments

Last edited:

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
This is perfect for this shot. If you make something then you're is position to run some balls. If not, you clear his side and open more balls for yourself.
Shooting at the eight right now will destroy your position for maybe just one ball. You could either stop the rock there or run it forward.

going for it.jpg

Cary

Verified Member
You two guys seeing it the same way I did is as good as winning a match, at least for me it is.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
This is perfect for this shot. If you make something then you're is position to run some balls. If not, you clear his side and open more balls for yourself.
Shooting at the eight right now will destroy your position for maybe just one ball. You could either stop the rock there or run it forward.

View attachment 13076
Dammit, when I spotted that shot on my own, I thought I was going to get that cookie! I scroll down and find that I am too late. Good eye.

Hitting it as firm as I'd like to, I'd probably have a bit of a hard time keeping the cue as close to the rail as I'd like to, but I'm still definitely trying this shot. Nothing else has any payoff.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
You vs. opponent 12 wwyd

Da barber nailed it. Just control that rock and it's a strong shot.

LSJohn

Verified Member
Da barber nailed it. Just control that rock and it's a strong shot.
The way I'm seeing it, if you shoot hard enough to get the kind of ball movement the arrows represent, I think there's about a 50-50 chance of leaving a nearly straight-in on the 9. How the 9 strikes the 11 is crucial, and on the screen it looks to me that there's a milimeter between full enough to get the angle you need off the second long-rail contact and getting almost no movement of the 9. And, CB is coming well off the rail.

My $.01 (probably not worth the full $.02) :)

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
In light of John's last post, for y'all gentlemans consideration..I'll just add this additional info re. the combo-carom-bank that youse guys are discussing...when this shot situation was happening, it was a warm humid day, had been raining for hours, and the table/cloth was playing sticky.

- Ghost

onepockethacker

Verified Member
The way I'm seeing it, if you shoot hard enough to get the kind of ball movement the arrows represent, I think there's about a 50-50 chance of leaving a nearly straight-in on the 9. How the 9 strikes the 11 is crucial, and on the screen it looks to me that there's a milimeter between full enough to get the angle you need off the second long-rail contact and getting almost no movement of the 9. And, CB is coming well off the rail.

My $.01 (probably not worth the full $.02) :)
You are exactly right.. At the table it would be easier to tell but it looks like the 9 might not move at all.. If I didn't think the shot would work then I might choose to cut the 6 a little to the left and have the cue ball roll down and nestle between the 1 and 12.. he wont be able to make anything.. If he tries to bank the 15 in to the balls on his side rail and leave me long I may end up with something better plus I will still be able to make the 8 on my next turn if he leaves me long and I dont have anything else..

However I just looked again and I now like 2 railing the 5 ball up and down at my pocket.. have the cue ball take out the 11 ball and my opponent should be hooked from seeing the 8 10 by the balls around the spot.. either way my opponent will have nothing that goes in his pocket..

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Looks like the angle fits for shooting the 10 ball at the 2 ball ( opening up more balls ) and putting the CB under the 11 ball. Can't tell exactly from the picture, but it looks doable with good CB speed. If executed properly it should move the 2/10 to your side and put some heat on your opponent to defend. It also might be a sell out on the 11, better players would be able to weigh the risk reward of this shot. Nawh, on taking another look, it's to risky, fuggittaboutit

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
You are exactly right.. At the table it would be easier to tell but it looks like the 9 might not move at all.. If I didn't think the shot would work then I might choose to cut the 6 a little to the left and have the cue ball roll down and nestle between the 1 and 12.. he wont be able to make anything.. If he tries to bank the 15 in to the balls on his side rail and leave me long I may end up with something better plus I will still be able to make the 8 on my next turn if he leaves me long and I dont have anything else..

However I just looked again and I now like 2 railing the 5 ball up and down at my pocket.. have the cue ball take out the 11 ball and my opponent should be hooked from seeing the 8 10 by the balls around the spot.. either way my opponent will have nothing that goes in his pocket..
I saw the two rail on the 5 ball but dismissed it for a couple of reasons, the CB looked a tad close to the rail for me shooting that speed and ghost said the table conditions were wet ( sticky) which would make the bank on the 5 run short. I also thought that having to use high English would preclude taking out the 11. Dunno? However I like thinning the 6 and stacking him.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member

If Franks take out shot was questionable with controlling the 9ball then I wouldn't shoot it because of the problems that also exist with controlling the 13ball and most importantly the cue ball. The position with the cue ball is very close to the top rail and the entry angle to the 13ball is awkward creating problems with controlling the 13ball and also the cue ball. However, if the angles are different when at the table then Franks shot is certainly a strong option.

I like your option with rolling the cue ball off the 6ball and dropping on the 1ball, the speed needed to execute that option would be conducive to just reaching the rail with the 6ball after cutting it, very safe shot and one that challenges your opponent to perform.

I don't like your double bank on the 5ball for several reasons. As mentioned before, the cue ball is too close to the rail which in turn creates problems with control, and accuracy. These problems will be amplified with the hard speed needed to execute the shot and get the results you seek. Hitting the top of the cue ball with a hard speed will not allow the cue ball to go into the 11ball because of the top rotation the cue ball will have after it contacts the bottom rail, it figures to flatten out and sell out the 11ball. The only way this action with the cue ball won't occur is if the 5ball is struck perfectly ..narrowly missing the kiss.. and sending the cue ball through the 5ball then to the bottom rail, maybe a shot for Reyes/VanBoening..maybe.

I would take a serious look at pocketing the 8ball with a high right ball. If I were certain that there is no scratch with the shot I would seriously consider shooting it. Looks like the 4ball is makeable and obviously the bank on the 11ball is available, if your able to play position on either of those two balls after pocketing the 8ball it's worth the gamble, however, that option isn't one for every one, skills needed.

Dr. Bill

straightback

Verified Member
It is hard to tell if the broom shot is on - will all 3 balls clear? If I had a doubt at the table, I would either pop the 8, taking care not to scratch right behind the 8 off the ball next to it. I did mull over coming off the 6 and floating behind those two balls on his side rail, but he would probably pop at the straightback on the 15 (the ball by the 6) and put me around his top pocket, which is no picnic, especially if he has good aim and speed on the straightback.

Might just have to shoot the 8 and play position to glue him to the back of the 5.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
Looks like the angle fits for shooting the 10 ball at the 2 ball ( opening up more balls ) and putting the CB under the 11 ball. Can't tell exactly from the picture, but it looks doable with good CB speed. If executed properly it should move the 2/10 to your side and put some heat on your opponent to defend. It also might be a sell out on the 11, better players would be able to weigh the risk reward of this shot. Nawh, on taking another look, it's to risky, fuggittaboutit
I'm not following you, I may have my balls mixed up. Isn't the 10ball next to the 8ball? And I don't even see a 2ball, is there one in the picture, if so where? I'm trying to figure out what ball will allow you to drop under the 11ball and I can't find one, particularly a striped one.:confused:

However, there is one possible option that looks to be in the same vein as your option, and that would be to elevate and shoot the 15ball toward the 4ball opening up balls for your pocket and drop in back of the 6ball near the rail. The 6ball will be a blocker for the newly developed position and protect your position...Hopefully.:D

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
If Franks take out shot was questionable with controlling the 9ball then I wouldn't shoot it because of the problems that also exist with controlling the 13ball and most importantly the cue ball. The position with the cue ball is very close to the top rail and the entry angle to the 13ball is awkward creating problems with controlling the 13ball and also the cue ball. However, if the angles are different when at the table then Franks shot is certainly a strong option.

I like your option with rolling the cue ball off the 6ball and dropping on the 1ball, the speed needed to execute that option would be conducive to just reaching the rail with the 6ball after cutting it, very safe shot and one that challenges your opponent to perform.

I don't like your double bank on the 5ball for several reasons. As mentioned before, the cue ball is too close to the rail which in turn creates problems with control, and accuracy. These problems will be amplified with the hard speed needed to execute the shot and get the results you seek. Hitting the top of the cue ball with a hard speed will not allow the cue ball to go into the 11ball because of the top rotation the cue ball will have after it contacts the bottom rail, it figures to flatten out and sell out the 11ball. The only way this action with the cue ball won't occur is if the 5ball is struck perfectly ..narrowly missing the kiss.. and sending the cue ball through the 5ball then to the bottom rail, maybe a shot for Reyes/VanBoening..maybe.

I would take a serious look at pocketing the 8ball with a high right ball. If I were certain that there is no scratch with the shot I would seriously consider shooting it. Looks like the 4ball is makeable and obviously the bank on the 11ball is available, if your able to play position on either of those two balls after pocketing the 8ball it's worth the gamble, however, that option isn't one for every one, skills needed.

Dr. Bill
Ghost says it was humid, rainy, and the tables were sticky... hmmm how would I ever know how to deal with those conditions... oh wait.. that's right... I LIVE IN SOUTH FLORIDA.. the conditions you guys are mulling over we deal with everyday.. because of that the cushions will play MUCH more lively meaning you won't have to hit the 11 as hard as you think to get it up and down.. also the cue ball with rebound off the bottom rail higher up the side rail than with dry conditions..on dry conditions it would be much harder to take out the 11..a little high right on the cue ball and a smooth stroke and you will take out the 11 ball.. the right english will make it back up a little so you might even get an in/off on the balls around the spot... we play this shot EVERY day in south Florida. I don't have to wonder what will happen.. anyway as always..

have a nice day:)

Last edited:

koldcash

Passive Paul checking in with shots I can actually execute....shoot at the six and follow CB to the long rail and tuck him under the 9/13...don't know how much it accomplishes as your opponent will probably feather the ball back up table to the same spot....but keeps pressure on him.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Passive Paul checking in with shots I can actually execute....shoot at the six and follow CB to the long rail and tuck him under the 9/13...don't know how much it accomplishes as your opponent will probably feather the ball back up table to the same spot....but keeps pressure on him.
where are you putting the 6?