you vs him #787

Cory in dc

Verified Member
This is a bit risky but could pay off nicely if you do it right: Bank the 14 and lock the CB on the 4 ball. Looks to me like the 14 would go into the 2/10/1 cluster. That really opens things up nicely for you later and the 14 could end up pretty close to your pocket.

If you want to be conservative, coming off the 15 and down between the 11 and 3 to end up underneath the 3 looks pretty easy to execute. But you'll und up in an uptable game.

I'd have to be at the table and down on the 14 to decide which I'd shoot.

Cory

P.S. I'm assuming the 4 doesn't go. If it does, you could cut it with a little speed and bring the CB 2-rails to the foot rail. The speed would be to avoid selling out a bank if you miss. I don't like this, though. It's too touchy for me and I see a lot of ways to sell out or even scratch. And there's no continuation shot even if you make it.

P.P.S. I just noticed that I'm up 5-0. That probably tips it in favor of my second shot: coming off the 15 to underneath the 3.

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Not me.

Im banking the 14 and locking the cue ball on the 4.

One big reason for me is what does he do to counter it?

Ken

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
If you want an offensive shot, bank the 14 and try to double up your man on the 4-3. My own preference, since I like to follow with the cb, is to drive the 4 ball straight ahead and follow it to the short rail. I'm quite certain I can leave it within 4" of the rail. Look at the 4. Something nice might happen with it.

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
I might consider shooting at the 8 ball but rail first. The cue ball will slide off the second diamond on the long rail and float down to the short rail between the 3 and the 9 ball.

Speed shot but plausible.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Not me.

Im banking the 14 and locking the cue ball on the 4.

One big reason for me is what does he do to counter it?

Ken

I like banking the 14 too, but not at the pocket because it looks like a little cut to the right, which caroms the CB away from the 4. I'd play the CB as tight on the 4 as possible and hope the 14 goes somewhere useful, like into the 3-ball logjam near the side pocket.

pj
chgo

Edit: I see Freddy said the same thing. Does that mean I'm not nuts?

Last edited:

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Shoot the 8 ball in and leave the CB on the rail. He might ? :) get one.
Rod.

Yeah roll the 8 ball in and give him a free shot on the 3 ball with shape on the balls now by the spot... THAT GO IN HIS HOLE AND NOT YOURS :rolleyes:.. try again

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I like banking the 14 too, but not at the pocket because it looks like a little cut to the right, which caroms the CB away from the 4. I'd play the CB as tight on the 4 as possible and hope the 14 goes somewhere useful, like into the 3-ball logjam near the side pocket.

pj
chgo

Edit: I see Freddy said the same thing. Does that mean I'm not nuts?

Forget banking the ball at the pocket, you wont be able to control the cue ball and freeze it behind the 4 ball very easily. The power in the shot is opening up the 3 balls that are tied up. You might even knock one of them to go down and close to your pocket.

Beard

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Forget banking the ball at the pocket, you wont be able to control the cue ball and freeze it behind the 4 ball very easily. The power in the shot is opening up the 3 balls that are tied up. You might even knock one of them to go down and close to your pocket.

Beard

DING DING DING... we have a winner

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA

Beard

That's a great shot, but are you now saying that you should execute it by playing the cue ball to the top rail now? So, stun the cue ball and freeze it to the rail, leaving your opponent with a risky straight shot on the 3?

If that's the case, I really like that shot.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
That's a great shot, but are you now saying that you should execute it by playing the cue ball to the top rail now? So, stun the cue ball and freeze it to the rail, leaving your opponent with a risky straight shot on the 3?

If that's the case, I really like that shot.

No, I am going to move the cue ball as close to the 4 ball as possible.

Beard