you vs him #787

androd

Verified Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Messages
7,216
Yeah roll the 8 ball in and give him a free shot on the 3 ball with shape on the balls now by the spot... THAT GO IN HIS HOLE AND NOT YOURS :rolleyes:.. try again
Sorry I'll try to refrain from posting on any thread you might have an opinion.
Rod.
P.S. "Hail mighty Potentate"
 

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
2,402
This is a bit risky but could pay off nicely if you do it right: Bank the 14 and lock the CB on the 4 ball. Looks to me like the 14 would go into the 2/10/1 cluster. That really opens things up nicely for you later and the 14 could end up pretty close to your pocket.

If you want to be conservative, coming off the 15 and down between the 11 and 3 to end up underneath the 3 looks pretty easy to execute. But you'll und up in an uptable game.

I'd have to be at the table and down on the 14 to decide which I'd shoot.

Cory

P.S. I'm assuming the 4 doesn't go. If it does, you could cut it with a little speed and bring the CB 2-rails to the foot rail. The speed would be to avoid selling out a bank if you miss. I don't like this, though. It's too touchy for me and I see a lot of ways to sell out or even scratch. And there's no continuation shot even if you make it.

P.P.S. I just noticed that I'm up 5-0. That probably tips it in favor of my second shot: coming off the 15 to underneath the 3.
Cory, I'm going with your P.P.S. option. Easy to do and not chancy at all. Being up 5-0 I want to keep it that way until I get better opportunities.
 

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2012
Messages
1,512
Forget banking the ball at the pocket, you wont be able to control the cue ball and freeze it behind the 4 ball very easily. The power in the shot is opening up the 3 balls that are tied up. You might even knock one of them to go down and close to your pocket.

Beard
That was my shot! (See post #2)

What do I win?
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
15,312
If you want an offensive shot, bank the 14 and try to double up your man on the 4-3. My own preference, since I like to follow with the cb, is to drive the 4 ball straight ahead and follow it to the short rail. I'm quite certain I can leave it within 4" of the rail. Look at the 4. Something nice might happen with it.[/QUOTE]

vapros you liked going to the end rail in 2011 also...:D
vapros.jpg
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
15,312
That was my shot! (See post #2)

What do I win?
well cory freddy owes you a cookie...:D
and i think that was the best shot to open the cluster and smother him behind the 4
but in 2011 beatle came up with that shot
beatle 2.jpg
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
15,312
If you want an offensive shot, bank the 14 and try to double up your man on the 4-3. My own preference, since I like to follow with the cb, is to drive the 4 ball straight ahead and follow it to the short rail. I'm quite certain I can leave it within 4" of the rail. Look at the 4. Something nice might happen with it.[/QUOTE]

vapros shannon took your advice but something nice didnt happen.....:eek:
wwyd3.jpg
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
15,312
you can tell shannon wasnt happy when he left the table
wwyd4.jpg
 

wincardona

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2007
Messages
7,409
If you want an offensive shot, bank the 14 and try to double up your man on the 4-3. My own preference, since I like to follow with the cb, is to drive the 4 ball straight ahead and follow it to the short rail. I'm quite certain I can leave it within 4" of the rail. Look at the 4. Something nice might happen with it.
I like this shot, (bank the 14ball) quite similar to Cory's shot but the key and most important part of this shot is to play the cue ball. 90% of your concentration goes into controlling the cue ball, the other 10% goes into reassuring your self of the other 90%. The key to the shot is not only the double up, but also, and equally importantly is limiting your opponent from controlling any return shot you may leave.

Choosing the option of positioning the cue ball too close to the 4ball (basically the same shot but different cue ball result) will often leave your opponent in a position to play a controlled return shot. Even though this option looks good, it will more often then you think put you in a battle for position.;) and with a 5 to 0 lead you don't want to play that kind of a game.

Dr. Bill
 

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2008
Messages
1,447
I like this shot, (bank the 14ball) quite similar to Cory's shot but the key and most important part of this shot is to play the cue ball. 90% of your concentration goes into controlling the cue ball, the other 10% goes into reassuring your self of the other 90%. The key to the shot is not only the double up, but also, and equally importantly is limiting your opponent from controlling any return shot you may leave.

Choosing the option of positioning the cue ball too close to the 4ball (basically the same shot but different cue ball result) will often leave your opponent in a position to play a controlled return shot. Even though this option looks good, it will more often then you think put you in a battle for position.;) and with a 5 to 0 lead you don't want to play that kind of a game.

Dr. Bill
What does "controlled return shot" mean here? Can you give an example?

I always thought the closer you leave the CB to the blocking ball the better - controlling (limiting) your opponent's return shot options...?

pj
chgo
 

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2012
Messages
1,512

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
233
What does "controlled return shot" mean here? Can you give an example?

I always thought the closer you leave the CB to the blocking ball the better - controlling (limiting) your opponent's return shot options...?

pj
chgo
Me too.

Ken
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
What does "controlled return shot" mean here? Can you give an example?

I always thought the closer you leave the CB to the blocking ball the better - controlling (limiting) your opponent's return shot options...?

pj
chgo
You thought right Patrick. Putting him on top of the 4 ball is the best thing to do on Earth. Cardone is probably talking about what would be best if the match takes place on Mars with their different gravity.

Beard:sorry
 
Last edited:
Top