You need two and he needs one

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Since things are real slow here I decided to put up one.
You need two and are corner hooked. What's your solution. The balls are near your opponents pocket and the twelve is frozen to the rail.
20150329_153127.jpg

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Whatever you do, get whitie inside the square defined by those two balls. If it costs you a foul because you don't make a good hit, no matter.

unoperro

Verified Member
I am playing the ..tap the cueball...foul game.
Foul on me,probably foul on him,then slow roll cueball
3 rails,long-long-short into ball on bottom rail . If I foul again,no biggie as long as whitey is in that square.
Maybe after first foul push whitey out just enough to leave the
Long rail ball almost straight in.

Its time to gamble.;)

beatle

Verified Member
i am not sure yet which i favor, but one rail into the ten ball or leave him hooked so he has to scratch.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I am playing the ..tap the cueball...foul game.
Foul on me,probably foul on him,then slow roll cueball
3 rails,long-long-short into ball on bottom rail . If I foul again,no biggie as long as whitey is in that square.
Maybe after first foul push whitey out just enough to leave the
Long rail ball almost straight in.

Its time to gamble.;)

I like your thinking here. I think taking a foul here he will also take one too. It's important to get him needing two balls. There is no reason that he would move the cue ball out so he will also take a foul. And on my next turn I would push the cue ball out, like you said, but I would roll to hit the point and bring the cue ball back to the long rail with a good chance to freeze it to the rail.

However if we're not playing the three foul rule then I probably would take a couple of more fouls.

After pushing the cue ball out and putting it on the long rail that twelve is not so inviting since his only choice to shoot it would be to slow roll the cue ball. A lot of things can happen to the cue ball slow rolling with all distance. If he misses it then you will have a good shot to your hole on the other ball. If he makes it that's all he will get. Now you need three and he needs one. But you're still alive. At best if he just plays defense you need three and he needs two.

My opinion is that very few of us would shoot at that twelve and chance losing the game.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
After pushing the cue ball out and putting it on the long rail that twelve is not so inviting since his only choice to shoot it would be to slow roll the cue ball. A lot of things can happen to the cue ball slow rolling with all distance. If he misses it then you will have a good shot to your hole on the other ball. If he makes it that's all he will get. Now you need three and he needs one. But you're still alive. At best if he just plays defense you need three and he needs two. ...
Excellent points, Frank. The key is to get him to take a foul. Then the 12 doesn't win the game for him. That's advanced thinking, and I don't believe I'd have come up with it.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
thanks frank
i learned something here...:)
i would have kicked between his 2 balls
much better to get him to go backwards

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Question for the guys taking a foul... he takes one back... now you guys take another scratch kicking into the box... now there are 3 balls on the spot... he takes an intentional and kicks off the side rail rolling you up on the wrong side frozen to the 4 spotted balls.. Now you are both on 2... whats your shot?

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I like your thinking here. I think taking a foul here he will also take one too. It's important to get him needing two balls. There is no reason that he would move the cue ball out so he will also take a foul. And on my next turn I would push the cue ball out, like you said, but I would roll to hit the point and bring the cue ball back to the long rail with a good chance to freeze it to the rail.

However if we're not playing the three foul rule then I probably would take a couple of more fouls.

After pushing the cue ball out and putting it on the long rail that twelve is not so inviting since his only choice to shoot it would be to slow roll the cue ball. A lot of things can happen to the cue ball slow rolling with all distance. If he misses it then you will have a good shot to your hole on the other ball. If he makes it that's all he will get. Now you need three and he needs one. But you're still alive. At best if he just plays defense you need three and he needs two.

My opinion is that very few of us would shoot at that twelve and chance losing the game.

Sorry Frank but if you think a good player is going to pass shooting the 12 ball you are mistaken.

onepockethacker

Verified Member

You will need 4 not 3 after taking your second foul. So after he rolls in the 12 ball you need 4 and he needs 1... better to have kicked into the box and play him 3 to 1.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Alot of you guys are going to trap yourself in this spot... Sometimes you just have to take your medicine.. Kick into the box on the first shot and play 3 to 1... All the other choices are going to put you in a worse spot.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Alot of you guys are going to trap yourself in this spot... Sometimes you just have to take your medicine.. Kick into the box on the first shot and play 3 to 1... All the other choices are going to put you in a worse spot.

I would try and kick it in the pocket. That way I know it will hit one of the rails.:lol

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member

Seems you are already trapped?
Kicking into that box isnt As easy as it looks.
Giving up a 1 rail bank,or a 2 railer,is no picnic either!

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Sorry Frank but if you think a good player is going to pass shooting the 12 ball you are mistaken.

I concede on the score as being me needing four to him needing two but not on that many will pass on shooting the twelve. That shot with the cue ball the distance of the table and very tight to the long rail is not as easy as it might appear. I ask for some here to try the shot and report back so that we can take a consensus. I did and I'm pretty sure I would pass on shooting it.

The kick to the safe haven will have you traveling toward his hole making the speed on the cue ball very touchy.

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
There is another issue which needs to be addressed for those who would choose to take a touch foul here. One take one, he takes one. Now there are two balls on the foot spot and one of you avenues to the foot rail is now gone. Your only option is now to go side rail, side rail, and that window is very small considering the placement of the twelve ball.

I'm in Hacker's camp on this one. Get between the two balls now.

Tom

beatle

Verified Member
if you trade scratches with him you dont go for the hole. you go for hitting one of his balls off one rail when you decide to play.

if you cant hit one of those two balls off a one rail bank from a corner then practice. if you think you dont like that shot because you may sell out. then my take is, is the risk reward better than rolling down and and letting him shoot and needing three instead of two.. while also not rolling into the hole.

or bumping a ball and not giving a shot. either way your cueball is going to be down there for him.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I don't play 3 fouls, unless it's a force, like a tournament rule. That said, I'd take multiples with him, then give him the straight in on the 12 from the joint. In a tournament I'd kick at the inside of the 9 ball with speed hoping to just graze the paint or miss it on the inside.

u12armresl

Verified Member
It is pretty easy to scratch trying to get in that little area.

To short you sell out owing one and leave a shot, too hard you can leave a kick or scratch.