You need both - WWYD

Mkbtank

Verified Member
You need both - WWYD

Too risky for me to shoot the 5 unless I have a good lead on my opponent (games or $$) and am hitting them good and confident.

I think the smarter shot for me is to hit the right side of the 2 about 1/4 of the ball and use a little RHE. This puts the 2 over by the 5 and brings the CB up near the head rail on my side so that it doesn't sell out a cross corner bank on either ball.

My exact thoughts, CK. Although if I am shooting straight that day, I'd much rather cut the 5 lol.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
My exact thoughts, CK. Although if I am shooting straight that day, I'd much rather cut the 5 lol.
Nice! I know I'm on the right track if Mitch agrees! :)

Yea, it would also depend on the equipment. Are these tight pockets? If they are playing loose I may shoot the 5 anyways...

youngstownkid

Verified Member
You need both - WWYD

LMAO!

Get your ass in here and call some of your shots. I want a chance to make fun of you, and I don't care how much I have to lie to do it. :D

Seriously, it might be worth more to you to see your shots criticized than to just see what others think about theirs.

Besides, anyone who post WWYDs gets beaucoup brownie points. Anybody screws with you I take 'em out behind the barn. :heh

Get your feet wet.
Ok, you asked for it...

here I would put all my effort in making the 5. I don't care where the cb ends up as long as it's not on his long rail. If I didn't feel right I'd back off it and get down on it again bc that's the only shot imo. If the table is tight or deep shelves then I'd pass on it tho.

I could prob get under the two to remove it, but I don't like it. Could give up the 5 if I hit it too hard or left english catches the long rail. Would end up getting doubled up if I hit it too soft. I like kicking long rail first (nearly simultaneous) at the left side of the 2 with a ton of LEFT to avoid the kiss...the cb should end up going toward the middle of the bottom rail, and since this isn't real I'm certain it would be frozen to it.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

1pwannabe

Verified Member
The diamond tables at our pool hall have deep ledges, but regulation sized pocket openings. Combine that with very humid conditions and balls hang A LOT.

I would NEVER shoot the cut shot here, easily lose and cannot win with it. Plus, shooting off the rail ain't no picnic.

youngstownkid

Verified Member
You need both - WWYD

Too risky for me to shoot the 5 unless I have a good lead on my opponent (games or $$) and am hitting them good and confident.

I think the smarter shot for me is to hit the right side of the 2 about 1/4 of the ball and use a little RHE. This puts the 2 over by the 5 and brings the CB up near the head rail on my side so that it doesn't sell out a cross corner bank on either ball.
I'd like a mulligan, I think cincy's shot is the safest play. I just set this situation up and dogged the 5 on my second try (and my table plays loose), then double kissed the 2 almost every other time trying the other shot I suggested.

Sent using Tapatalk

lll

Verified Member

i think if you hit 1/4 ball with rhe you will end up more towards the middle diamond on the head rail than to your side
follow or alittle inside i think would work better
i need to go to a table to be sure

Island Drive

Verified Member
9 o'clock gearing cue ball, 2 rail bank the 6 towards the other long rail upper pocket, control your speed so you leave your opponent straight in as you look at the upper l/h corner pocket at the 6 return shot, park whitey on the foot rail. I know this is already a ''chosen'' shot, but thought I'd add some salt.

And Stroud why are U unable to attend SSII?

I'll never forget when Grady moved to CO Springs in the 70's, and how he could hit that cue ball 100 mph and the cue ball would crawl Only an inch (I'd never seen that before) then I watched you play in the early eighties, when you were working full time, you also had that quality in your game, to hit it clean and hard or Whatever and park whitey, as good as Steve Cook. Probably more often tho.

LSJohn

Verified Member
Ok, you asked for it...

here I would put all my effort in making the 5. I don't care where the cb ends up as long as it's not on his long rail. If I didn't feel right I'd back off it and get down on it again bc that's the only shot imo. If the table is tight or deep shelves then I'd pass on it tho.

I could prob get under the two to remove it, but I don't like it. Could give up the 5 if I hit it too hard or left english catches the long rail. Would end up getting doubled up if I hit it too soft. I like kicking long rail first (nearly simultaneous) at the left side of the 2 with a ton of LEFT to avoid the kiss...the cb should end up going toward the middle of the bottom rail, and since this isn't real I'm certain it would be frozen to it.

Sent using Tapatalk
Sorry, it's not a true initiation until we tell you how STOOPID your post is, and I can't find anything here. Next time. :heh

youngstownkid

Verified Member
You need both - WWYD

Sorry, it's not a true initiation until we tell you how STOOPID your post is, and I can't find anything here. Next time. :heh
"Well, that's, like, your opinion, man."

I take back what I said about everything. Its all wrong. I don't like shooting the 5, I don't like hitting the 2 on the left side. I don't even like hitting the 2 on the right side bc it's just so close to the pocket. I'm not Ton Wirth, if they were laying more favorable, then sure maybe I would have tried one of them, but they're not. This is a bad spot to be in for me. I can't execute either of those shots consistently from where they're sitting, so I'm taking the safest shot I have been able to execute after trying several shots several times, and I'm using left english and kicking to hit about 1/4 of the 2 ball sending it off the long and above the 5 and the cb safely toward my side of the head rail. Someone already suggested this, I know. When I first read it I though it was too complicated for me, but if the cb catches enough of the 2, the cb travels a safe path, so I like it best. Final answer.

Sent using Tapatalk

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Bingo, we have a winner. This is the takeout shot that works the vast majority of the time and it's exactly the shot I would shoot as well.

I take back what I said about everything. Its all wrong. I don't like shooting the 5, I don't like hitting the 2 on the left side. I don't even like hitting the 2 on the right side bc it's just so close to the pocket. I'm not Ton Wirth, if they were laying more favorable, then sure maybe I would have tried one of them, but they're not. This is a bad spot to be in for me. I can't execute either of those shots consistently from where they're sitting, so I'm taking the safest shot I have been able to execute after trying several shots several times, and I'm using left english and kicking to hit about 1/4 of the 2 ball sending it off the long and above the 5 and the cb safely toward my side of the head rail. Someone already suggested this, I know. When I first read it I though it was too complicated for me, but if the cb catches enough of the 2, the cb travels a safe path, so I like it best. Final answer.

Sent using Tapatalk

LSJohn

Verified Member

Sent using Tapatalk
Glad you tried all those out. Your final answer is plenty good if hit well.

Thanks.

bstroud

Verified Member
In this kind of situationI am not shooting the 5 ball.

Even if you make it you can not win the game.

You may end up in a worse position on the 2 ball.

In the first pic it looks like you can use extreme left and get the 2 ball out of the pocket. You might kiss the 2 on it's way out but it should head toward the 5.

That would be the best result.

Bill S.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
In this kind of situationI am not shooting the 5 ball.

Even if you make it you can not win the game.

You may end up in a worse position on the 2 ball.
I don't see how you can be in a worse position on the 2 with CB close to the same long rail as the 2.

I feel good about cutting the 5 seeing as I have more than a diamonds angle on it.

Even if I hang it in the pocket on the deep shelf and he makes the 2, he'll have to follow the 5 in and we both still need two.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From the picture it looks like the CB is a little closer to the rail than the 2 ball...
If that is in fact true, and the 2 ball is as close to the pocket as it appears to be, then it's gonna take a heavily juiced CB ( lhe ) and a very accurate hit on the foot rail for the CB to catch enough of the 2 to move it across to the other long rail. That being said, one must always judge his own skill set in order to choose the correct shot for whatever the situation happens to be.

In this particular situation...

The 2 ball will bank across from where it now resides if the CB gets back to the middle of the table after cutting the 5 ball in, long rail, long rail, settle. It's simply amounts to this,

I'm just more comfortable cutting the 5 than trying to kick the 2 ball away, it's a personal preference, I'm not saying it's correct for others...

If I fully commit to cutting the 5 in and miss, I will go down swinging at the shot I believe could win me the game... and so be it.

That's why they make chocolate & vanilla...

mhilton777

Verified Member
I don't see how you can be in a worse position on the 2 with CB close to the same long rail as the 2.

I feel good about cutting the 5 seeing as I have more than a diamonds angle on it.

Even if I hang it in the pocket on the deep shelf and he makes the 2, he'll have to follow it in and we both still need two.
He only needs 1 ball Dave. You need both. I like the other posts about just moving the 2 to your side and getting the cue ball up table.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
He only needs 1 ball Dave. You need both. I like the other posts about just moving the 2 to your side and getting the cue ball up table.
Oops. Well I still believe in my ability to make the 5 and would shoot it as Jeff said. That was my initial selection before Jeff ever posted.

Also I think the CB will end up
Better than it is now with a reasonable shot to cross the 2 or at the very least clear the pocket

Jeff sparks

Verified Member

Even if I hang it in the pocket on the deep shelf and he makes the 2, he'll have to follow the 5 in and we both still need two.
Dancin Dave,

If he makes the 2 ball, you get to rack-em up, the games over...:sorry

mhilton777

Verified Member
Oops. Well I still believe in my ability to make the 5 and would shoot it as Jeff said. That was my initial selection before Jeff ever posted.

Also I think the CB will end up
Better than it is now with a reasonable shot to cross the 2 or at the very least clear the pocket
If I am shooting well that day, I agree. It depends on how many beers I had with Nathan or Rodney before the situation came up!

Off topic: I am planning on trying to take a trip down there soon to visit the in-laws and Nathan and it would be great to hang again.