You need both - WWYD

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Here's one from a real game the other day.

You need both balls, and it's your shot. WWYD?

baby huey

Verified Member
Looks like pretty new cloth and the five ball is certainly pocketable cue ball on the rail. But, if you miss its game over. So just take out the two ball and put it uptable.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I also would like to shoot the 5, with the CB going twice across-- but have the CB end up on the foot rail close to the deuce so that it can be banked cross corner.

However, if left spin needs to be applied, that makes it a difficult cut from off the rail. In that case I'd thin the 2 ball with extreme outside. That would bank it toward my hole. The only problem is that it might leave a fee bank on the 5 for the opponent...

And of course you could make the 5, then take out the 2. Maybe even leave a kick bank.

~Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
If I thought I could take out the 2 reliably without selling out a free bank on the 5 then I would probably do that, because the cut on the 5 is no piece of cake from off the rail like that. But it looks tough to take out the 5 with any kind of control. I don't know -- maybe tons of left english and kick to the bottom rail first, crossing over the 2 on your way back up -- hoping to bank the 2 somewhere near the 5 and run up table with the cue ball. That's about the best I can see (unless you can simply hit enough of the left side of the 2-ball to knock it away).

My last resort would be slicing at the 5 but you know the saying, "If you are stuck between a tough shot and a tough safety, then go with the tough shot."

Attachments

Last edited:

darmoose

Verified Member
I would slice the five in with enough speed to cross the table twice with the CB and then allow it to fall to the bottom rail about a diamond from the two, just perfectly, so I could then bank the two and win the game. Right, that's the ticket.:heh:heh:heh

LSJohn

Verified Member
If I thought I could take out the 2 reliably without selling out a free bank on the 5 then I would probably do that
I probably wouldn't have time at the table, but since I had plenty of time here, I looked at it by-the-numbers:

I think I can shoot directly at the right side of the 2 with a couple of tips of lhe and get safe on both balls about 80% of the time. After that, I have about a 40% chance to win, playing a player of equal skill. That computes to about a 32% chance to win by playing the safety. These pockets look generous to me, and even more generous with relatively new cloth. I think I'm around 60-70% to make the 5, and I'm maybe 20% to land where I have a good cross if I don't use inside shooting the 5 (I wouldn't.) So shooting the 5 gives me about a 15% chance to win on this turn, and if I make the 5 it's my move and I figure that gives me about 55 to 45 to win by getting the first shot.

Hard to add all that up (I haven't made that "good cross" yet) but it looks to me that the two choices are very close to 50/50. That bein' the case, I'd shoot.

Anybody asleep yet?

LSJohn

Verified Member
I would slice the five in with enough speed to cross the table twice with the CB and then allow it to fall to the bottom rail about a diamond from the two, just perfectly, so I could then bank the two and win the game. Right, that's the ticket.:heh:heh:heh
Hell, Moose, I have to bet on you... you are plannin' to be my stakehorse in New Orleans next month, right? :heh

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
No English cut on the 5 ball, 100% effort on making the ball. Then if you end up with a viable cross on the 2 ball, take the shot at winning, if not, reposition the 2 where it favors you.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
No English cut on the 5 ball, 100% effort on making the ball. Then if you end up with a viable cross on the 2 ball, take the shot at winning, if not, reposition the 2 where it favors you.
Yeah, when I said cinch it, I had just this in mind. I don't figure to get a viable cross, though.

youngstownkid

Verified Member
You need both - WWYD

I probably wouldn't have time at the table, but since I had plenty of time here, I looked at it by-the-numbers:

I think I can shoot directly at the right side of the 2 with a couple of tips of lhe and get safe on both balls about 80% of the time. After that, I have about a 40% chance to win, playing a player of equal skill. That computes to about a 32% chance to win by playing the safety. These pockets look generous to me, and even more generous with relatively new cloth. I think I'm around 60-70% to make the 5, and I'm maybe 20% to land where I have a good cross if I don't use inside shooting the 5 (I wouldn't.) So shooting the 5 gives me about a 15% chance to win on this turn, and if I make the 5 it's my move and I figure that gives me about 55 to 45 to win by getting the first shot.

Hard to add all that up (I haven't made that "good cross" yet) but it looks to me that the two choices are very close to 50/50. That bein' the case, I'd shoot.

Anybody asleep yet?
I bet you're a nightmare to split a check with.

Sent using Tapatalk

LSJohn

Verified Member
I bet you're a nightmare to split a check with.

Sent using Tapatalk
LMAO!

Get your ass in here and call some of your shots. I want a chance to make fun of you, and I don't care how much I have to lie to do it. :D

Seriously, it might be worth more to you to see your shots criticized than to just see what others think about theirs.

Besides, anyone who post WWYDs gets beaucoup brownie points. Anybody screws with you I take 'em out behind the barn. :heh

Get your feet wet.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Too risky for me to shoot the 5 unless I have a good lead on my opponent (games or $$) and am hitting them good and confident.

I think the smarter shot for me is to hit the right side of the 2 about 1/4 of the ball and use a little RHE. This puts the 2 over by the 5 and brings the CB up near the head rail on my side so that it doesn't sell out a cross corner bank on either ball.