You are down 2 to -3 and bear trapped

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I assume nobody likes this because it's too kissy...?

pj
chgo
That probably is a kiss. I was looking at banking the 6 into the backside of the 11, kicking it over to the shooter's hole, while banking the CB up below the 9 (as in your drawing). But it's probably iffy, and the 14 or 1 ball shots are likely better. I especially like the 14 bank, if it can hit the 3/8 full without the CB bumping into the 12.

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Bill,
Looking at the 12 ball shot... The 12 appears to be laying lower than the CB, so in order to get the CB to travel around the table, it's gonna take some low right hand draw and a bit more speed than I would be willing to risk for fear of driving a ball or two back across into his pocket quadrant... the shot could work out well though, with a very good CB and no bad luck...

I just liked moving the 1 ball over and dropping in under the 11, pretty bad spot for him if I get the CB there... easy to control since it's about 98% CB, no need to concentrate on anything but CB speed...

I agree, that would be the best choice providing you can see enough of the 1ball to execute the shot. My suggestions were based off of the options that were available if the 1ball option was not available. The 14ball option with following the cue ball to the side rail in back of the 5ball is also a good option and if you could contact a ball and move it to a threatening position then the 14ball option would be even better.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I agree, that would be the best choice providing you can see enough of the 1ball to execute the shot. My suggestions were based off of the options that were available if the 1ball option was not available. The 14ball option with following the cue ball to the side rail in back of the 5ball is also a good option and if you could contact a ball and move it to a threatening position then the 14ball option would be even better.

Dr. Bill

If I were certain that I could move a ball close to my pocket shooting off the 14ball even if was 10" from my pocket representing some kind of a threat (deterrent) I would choose this option even if the 1ball option was available. My reasoning is that the degree of difficulty in the execution of both shots would be the deciding difference in choosing the 14ball because the simplicity of the shot as opposed to a shot on the 1ball where if the execution wasn't fairly good bad things could happen, plus there's no guarantee you can drop under the 11ball with the shot.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
If you shoot the 14, I'm thinking to hit the 12 with the cueball and get behind the 6/11, so you can put some pace on it.

That's a computer shot, it plays out nicely from our computer screen but on a pool table those type of shots don't work out well at all. It's very difficult to judge how much the cue ball will deflect when you alter your point of aim from a full ball hit to change the direction of the cue ball. Since cue ball control is at a premium choosing the 14ball option I wouldn't try to do anything fancy with the cue ball other than to follow straight through the 14ball.

You can set this shot up on a table and practice it and I wouldn't be surprised if you got good results after hitting it several times, however, in a real live game you only get one attempt.

Dr. Bill

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
He has 2 balls, I am 3 in the hole, I am banking the 6 and try to get back in the game by making some balls.
I'm supposed to lose this game anyway, and may not get another opportunity to get a bunch.
I would bank it with a center ball hit ,and try to bump the 1 to stop, or slow the cueball down .

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
It appears you can spin off the seven ball and get under the six ball and against the side rail on the opponents pocket. This shot is on if you use very low speed and extreme spin to carry the cue ball under the six.

Kybanks

Verified Member
Imo, the 6 ball poses the biggest threat and it has a huge pocket with the 11 where it is. I am making it now (rolling behind the 11) so it doesn't become a problem later. I am leaving the 14 where it is because it poses a threat if my opponent wants to go up table. Executed perfectly( cb froze between the 11 and rail) it could allow me to get back in the game.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Imo, the 6 ball poses the biggest threat and it has a huge pocket with the 11 where it is. I am making it now (rolling behind the 11) so it doesn't become a problem later. I am leaving the 14 where it is because it poses a threat if my opponent wants to go up table. Executed perfectly( cb froze between the 11 and rail) it could allow me to get back in the game.
Certainly a good option but not as strong as it normally would be if the score were closer.
Dr Bill

chicagomike

Verified Member
No worries here. Bank the 1 ball off of the bottom side of the 12 ball and stick whitey on the top rail leaving a combo for your opponent. If the 1 stops near your pocket the 14 ball should hide it pretty well.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
No worries here. Bank the 1 ball off of the bottom side of the 12 ball and stick whitey on the top rail leaving a combo for your opponent. If the 1 stops near your pocket the 14 ball should hide it pretty well.

Coming under the 12 is clever. But the pocket for that 6 ball is sort of huge even from up table on the long rail.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Seeing how this spot is horrible and will only get worse playing safe, I'm going for a home run since the score is -2 to 3. I'm shooting the 4 off the right side of the trying to have the 8 combo the 7 ball in.. the 4 ball will hit the 6 ball after contacting the 8 and if the 4 ball hits the 6 ball on the top half the 6 ball could take out the 11 ball and I'm stunning the cue ball forward toward just right of his pocket.... I figure I could make the 7 ball, I could miss the 7 ball but clear his pocket or I could flat out get lucky and get a roll freezing him up to a ball.....alot of kiss possibilities and if the 7 don't go probably lose but because of the score and since I really don't like any of the other suggestions I'm going to roll the dice.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Coming under the 12 is clever. But the pocket for that 6 ball is sort of huge even from up table on the long rail.

Ok...then just pocket the 6 with a touch of high left and plant your opponent behind the 11...simple move, but big trouble for him.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Seeing how this spot is horrible and will only get worse playing safe, I'm going for a home run since the score is -2 to 3. I'm shooting the 4 off the right side of the trying to have the 8 combo the 7 ball in.. the 4 ball will hit the 6 ball after contacting the 8 and if the 4 ball hits the 6 ball on the top half the 6 ball could take out the 11 ball and I'm stunning the cue ball forward toward just right of his pocket.... I figure I could make the 7 ball, I could miss the 7 ball but clear his pocket or I could flat out get lucky and get a roll freezing him up to a ball.....alot of kiss possibilities and if the 7 don't go probably lose but because of the score and since I really don't like any of the other suggestions I'm going to roll the dice.
We'll have to give you an "A" for shot imagination here.:) And being down by 5, it might be the time to take a chance. But to my eye the 8 cannot billiard off the 3 to pocket the 7. It might not even hit the 7. Even if the billiard lined up exactly, the 8 having to travel a foot to get to the 7 would make the shot even more difficult. Plus the shot would have to be hit with a hard stroke, making it unlikely that the shooter could put the CB into a safe position. Probably 8-10 balls would be put in motion on that shot. A real RA special!

~Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

Very creative I might say, but I don't see you shooting this shot because it's suicidal. Most all balls are in play and you have several shots that can benefit you from this position, why try and catch lightning in a jug?

Ask Vic if he wants to play some pool, i'll play the partner game for cheap for something to do i'm planning a trip to fl.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
We'll have to give you an "A" for shot imagination here.:) And being down by 5, it might be the time to take a chance. But to my eye the 8 cannot billiard off the 3 to pocket the 7. It might not even hit the 7. Even if the billiard lined up exactly, the 8 having to travel a foot to get to the 7 would make the shot even more difficult. Plus the shot would have to be hit with a hard stroke, making it unlikely that the shooter could put the CB into a safe position. Probably 8-10 balls would be put in motion on that shot. A real RA special!

~Doc

Finally we agree on something.:D Are you going to Chicago? Dinners on me if you do, i'll brush you up on some of your suggested options and then you can leave a better player.;)

Dr. Bill

unoperro

Verified Member
I would have to look at 1 railing the 2. Whitey goes 3/4 rails. Path looks open.

Coming off the 7 looks safest.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
HERE'S THE sHOT

HERE'S THE sHOT

Shoot as hard as you can, with stun, the 6 into the edge of the 14. They both double kiss out, should send 14 towards your hole. If no double kiss on cue ball, you just may turn game around. I play the count:D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Finally we agree on something.:D Are you going to Chicago? Dinners on me if you do, i'll brush you up on some of your suggested options and then you can leave a better player.;)
Dr. Bill
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it up to Chicago. I'd enjoy playing and visiting with the guys. And I'd LOVE to see Chris's Billiards. Perhaps another day. I will, however send my protege, Col. Bille.:)

Heh, heh. I hate to pass up a dinner on Cardone! And it's exceedingly nice of you to offer to brush up my game. Because, as you know, I'm already a near expert in selecting the proper shot on the WWYDs. And if I were to ever get my stroke back, I'd be a real force...;)

Y'all are going to have a memorable time!

~Doc

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Shoot as hard as you can, with stun, the 6 into the edge of the 14. They both double kiss out, should send 14 towards your hole. If no double kiss on cue ball, you just may turn game around. I play the count:D
I like the way you think (if you think what I think you think). Here's a slight variation on that theme (I think).

pj <- go-off
chgo

View attachment 65655

Attachments

• 1p.jpg
    1p.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 0