youngstown

Verified Member
WWYD here?

MM

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I will try to depopulate Joe Blow's side of the table, shooting the 14 at the 7 and bringing Jojo off the long rail to rest on the foot rail, near Joe's pocket. With all balls on my side, Joe will have a long tough hill to climb from a tough position.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Just pay up:lol or bank the 14 to your side draw to freeze to the 12. Go ahead and let him Bank the 6 and hope he misses and you can run a few afterwards. Tony might be able to stiff the 9 or maybe the 11 is available

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
If the three does not go past the six then this is my choice. Nice slow roller. Guaranteed to leave both balls very near to your hole. If you don't make the ten most likely he will not shoot at the seven or the three six combo. So I think it's a free shot to win the game.
Well worth it.jpg

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
You are bottom left, need 7

If the three does not go past the six then this is my choice. Nice slow roller. Guaranteed to leave both balls very near to your hole. If you don't make the ten most likely he will not shoot at the seven or the three six combo. So I think it's a free shot to win the game.

View attachment 21241

Frank I think your hole is the one closest to the cue ball.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I usually fight against an uptable game, but sometimes the table leaves me no choice. This is one of those times, for me at least.

Get the 14 to my side and stick on the 12, as JTom described.

Cory

P.S. I fight against uptable games not because I *can't* play them, but because it's less fun (less fun to me, not to Grampa) than playing with the pressure/opportunity of real threats of multi-ball runs.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Just pay up:lol or bank the 14 to your side draw to freeze to the 12. Go ahead and let him Bank the 6 and hope he misses and you can run a few afterwards. Tony might be able to stiff the 9 or maybe the 11 is available

I would shoot "jtompilot's" very uncomplicated but very effective shot of banking the 14-ball to my side of the table while playing the cue ball to nudge up against the 12-ball. From that position my opponent doesn't have any effective return shots when compared to... the shot that "vapros" elected. That shot is "to depopulate Joe Blow's side of the table, (by) shooting the 14 at the 7 and bringing Jojo off the long rail to rest on the foot rail, near Joe's pocket. With all balls on my side, Joe will have a long tough hill to climb from a tough position." A quick analysis of "vapros's" shot and it becomes evident that you will quickly lose your current dominant position on the 1, 8, 9, 12 and 15-balls. It further seems evident that Joe Blow will have an easy time knocking those balls from my side of the table to the upper table by picking either the 12, 15 or 9 balls depending on his angle from the back rail. This is now an up table game and how a tactical error can quickly change the game.

sausage

Suspended

that's the shot.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I'm banking the 9 up/down. Power draw, to the foot rail and back out. All the balls (14,12,8/15 combo) are lined up for your hole. Juice up whitey apply some r/h gearing spin to the obj. ball and bank out....it's a free shot. If missed, no return cross corner bank available.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
This might be a case where an up table game is imminent; and may be preferable. However, I'd like to leave the CB in the upper right corner, but it's not possible with the 7 sitting there.

Therefore I'd take a look at shooting the CB through the 14, banking it to my side, while either: 1. trying to roll the CB between the rail and the 7, or, 2. bumping the 7 up table with the CB. Now there's no offensive return shot for the opponent, and there will likely be a better opportunity next inning.

~Doc

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I usually fight against an uptable game, but sometimes the table leaves me no choice. This is one of those times, for me at least.

Get the 14 to my side and stick on the 12, as JTom described.

Cory

P.S. I fight against uptable games not because I *can't* play them, but because it's less fun (less fun to me, not to Grampa) than playing with the pressure/opportunity of real threats of multi-ball runs.

Cory,

I take this to mean that you, like all experienced one pocket players, seek to play to your advantage, when you perceive you have one. As there are several legitimate strategies to winning one pocket, let's not besmirch the elderly for the enjoyment they get from one-balling you into a coma.:lol

One pocket, like basketball, football, even tennis is quite often about making your opponent play your game. We all are gonna get there some day, unless we quit playing.:eek:

hankh

Verified Member
From
Arrey, N.M.
Howdy All;

I'm banking the 9 up/down. Power draw, to the foot rail and back out. All the balls (14,12,8/15 combo) are lined up for your hole. Juice up whitey apply some r/h gearing spin to the obj. ball and bank out....it's a free shot. If missed, no return cross corner bank available.

Eye-balled this when I first saw it, only I'd thought about some follow. See
where that might be a problem. Just hope the "Power draw" doesn't put
to much spin on the 9 causing it to contact the rail with to much force on
it's way to the pocket.

hank

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Howdy All;

Eye-balled this when I first saw it, only I'd thought about some follow. See
where that might be a problem. Just hope the "Power draw" doesn't put
to much spin on the 9 causing it to contact the rail with to much force on
it's way to the pocket.

hank

It's a 9 ball shot, that Cole Dixon or Ether....would Shoot in a heartbeat. Ask Hendy. :)

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Shooting the 9 ball bank would be a very low percentage and likely suicidal choice that neither Ether nor Cole would make imho, and I've played them both. To draw the CB back to the short rail and then high enough to get to another shot would require enough speed that the 9 ball, if/when it misses will rebound and push balls away from our pocket, possibly over to our opponent's side, and leaving him something to shoot straight into his hole. Even if that didn't occur, there would still be some kind of safe bank available. But the real risk is that the 9 ball is going to hit something on the way down or back and cause a ball to leak over and become available to our opponent.

I'm going with the 14 bank to my side and freeze him by the 12.

povpool

Verified Member
From
Studio City, CA
Originally Posted by jtompilot
Just pay up or bank the 14 to your side draw to freeze to the 12. Go ahead and let him Bank the 6 and hope he misses and you can run a few afterwards. Tony might be able to stiff the 9 or maybe the 11 is available

For the most part, I'm with jtompilot:

It looks like the only safe shot and there's not a whole lot you can do to prevent this from going uptable. Another version of the same shot would be cut the 14 softly uptable to try to freeze the cue ball to the bottom rail by the right corner pocket. Use a little draw and right english leave the 7 and the 14 uptable.