you and him again #7762 wwyd

senor

Verified Member
senor gets a cookie....:)
but
to me from that distance moving all those balls ( not knowing what would happen with the 6 and 8 based on how they hit)
could have been "frought with peril"
Larry,

Since I am now a golfer, I will share a golf saying with you that loosely applies to this scenario...Trees are 90% air ;)

wincardona

Verified Member
but
to me from that distance moving all those balls ( not knowing what would happen with the 6 and 8 based on how they hit)

senior
Originally Posted by lll View Post
senor gets a cookie....
but
Larry,

Since I am now a golfer, I will share a golf saying with you that loosely applies to this scenario...Trees are 90% air
Knowing when to gamble is a key ingredient in the recipe for success. Take this shot as an example. Of course there are things that can go wrong with this shot considering the distance you need to travel to contact the OB, plus the action that takes place is also questionable, which would be based on the execution of the shot. Shots of this kind are hard to place a value on if you don't have an understanding of the shot, and it's understandable why many are frightened with these types of shots. However, these type of shots must be incorporated into your arsenal for you to be able to judge the value of when to shoot them or not to shoot them. Its shots of this kind that wins games that are hard to win by changing the position of the balls to where the layout will then favor the shooter.

There are other options available here as well and all the other options carry some liability as this shot does, however, this shot can change the position of the balls to where the shooter instantly becomes the favorite without the possibility of scratching. With this understanding i'm shooting this shot and feeling good about it. It's just a feel that I learned through "trial and error" Lets just call it an "educated guess";)

Bill Incardona

wincardona

Verified Member
but

senior
Originally Posted by lll View Post
senor gets a cookie....
but
Larry,

Since I am now a golfer, I will share a golf saying with you that loosely applies to this scenario...Trees are 90% air
double post
Bill Incardona

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Knowing when to gamble is a key ingredient in the recipe for success. Take this shot as an example. Of course there are things that can go wrong with this shot considering the distance you need to travel to contact the OB, plus the action that takes place is also questionable, which would be based on the execution of the shot. Shots of this kind are hard to place a value on if you don't have an understanding of the shot, and it's understandable why many are frightened with these types of shots. However, these type of shots must be incorporated into your arsenal for you to be able to judge the value of when to shoot them or not to shoot them. Its shots of this kind that wins games that are hard to win by changing the position of the balls to where the layout will then favor the shooter.

There are other options available here as well and all the other options carry some liability as this shot does, however, this shot can change the position of the balls to where the shooter instantly becomes the favorite without the possibility of scratching. With this understanding i'm shooting this shot and feeling good about it. It's just a feel that I learned through "trial and error" Lets just call it an "educated guess";)

Bill Incardona
Absolutely correct. And in addition the bolded print is of key importance. If you choose to gamble on a given shot, make that shot worth the price of the gamble. Here was an opportunity to not only move most all the balls from the opponents side of the table and send several of them toward your own pocket while easily controlling the cue ball, but the possibility of one of those balls falling in your pocket becomes a real threat. With these possibilities open to this shot why would anyone choose to play a shot with equal risk but without the high expectation which comes with successful execution?

Tom

beatle

Verified Member
well this post was about you and him. not two top players that run out whenever they get a good table.

against most opponents if you are the better player which i assume each here is smart enough to not play a better player even for cash. then you out move your opponent and may not want to sell out trying to reverse the game in one shot.

if playing a better player you would take more of those chances as he will get to the next good shot first more often than you.

to each his own as billy said you need to have these in your aresnal but also need to know when they are profitable. and it all depends on who you are playing.

for an example if you were playing someone really bad your highest expectation per game would be to send all the balls up table and you might never lose a game to him. but would suffer a time penalty as you would get less games in.

if you move well and your opponent is a ball runner you would never shoot this shot but tick away at him.

if he is better than you and moves much better as well, then you blast here and hope to change the game to one you can win at as you are going to lose with him having the good layout and you being the worse player.

Island Drive

Verified Member
Sweep Shot

Sweep Shot

You could also cross bank the one ball at a controllable
high speed with inside and kick the eight from behind and clear all the balls on your opponents side and possibly the nine. This type of shot reminds me of RA, you could easily move the whole stack towards your hole. But coming behind the eight with inside is a high percentage kick.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
well this post was about you and him. not two top players that run out whenever they get a good table.

against most opponents if you are the better player which i assume each here is smart enough to not play a better player even for cash. then you out move your opponent and may not want to sell out trying to reverse the game in one shot.

if playing a better player you would take more of those chances as he will get to the next good shot first more often than you.

to each his own as billy said you need to have these in your aresnal but also need to know when they are profitable. and it all depends on who you are playing.

for an example if you were playing someone really bad your highest expectation per game would be to send all the balls up table and you might never lose a game to him. but would suffer a time penalty as you would get less games in.

if you move well and your opponent is a ball runner you would never shoot this shot but tick away at him.

if he is better than you and moves much better as well, then you blast here and hope to change the game to one you can win at as you are going to lose with him having the good layout and you being the worse player.
Beatle, Much of what you have said is true but may I point out, (and this of course is just my opinion) the clearing shot Senor described is no more difficult to execute than any of the other shots which have been offered during this thread. In actuality, It is easier to execute than any of those other shots and has a higher rate of success even among average players.

All I am saying is though the shot looks risky because of the number of balls which must be cleared the shot is more likely to net positive results than attempting to nurse your way out of a jam such as this. Start thinking positive and try to win as apposed to thinking negative and trying not to lose. As Billy said: "these type of shots must be incorporated into your arsenal for you to be able to judge the value of when to shoot them or not to shoot them."

Tom

androd

Verified Member
I shoot these shots every time I get one, no matter who I'm playing.
If I think I might get the CB safe (as here) I'm re-arranging the furniture.
They don't always work but more often they do !
Rod.
P.S. Still a gofer. :)

beatle

Verified Member
no question in my mind if i was going to clear them out that shot is the one i pick. my choice of ticking around was to give a side i know few would pick. in this case no one.. :)

thinking positive is good. but picking the right shot based on your opponent is better.

if its two high caliber players then the clear shot is probably best. against weaker players you would probably want to tick around as you are going to get the best of him at some point. thats just the way i have always done it.

jtompilot

Verified Member
It was a nice clear out, but sold out a bank that I'm surprised Larry missed. Most of the guys I play make that bank 95% of the time. The clear out could have just as easily pocketed a ball. Several good suggestions, pick one that you like best.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I would just shoot the 9 right into the 8, and punch the cb over close to the one. As L. Tierney said in Reservoir Dogs "Juicy junior, reeeeeal juicy".

beatle

Verified Member
in those clear out shots you should not shoot them unless you know where all the balls are going to go and not in some random directions.

if you cant really tell where they are going then your cue ball must be left in a very safe spot.

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
in those clear out shots you should not shoot them unless you know where all the balls are going to go and not in some random directions.

if you cant really tell where they are going then your cue ball must be left in a very safe spot.
You are wasting your time. Most of the people here wouldn't and haven't bet a quarter in their lives and so wouldn't know what to do in any situation. It's a fantasy game for them. If most of the respondents had to be at a table betting $100 per game against an equal opponent, they wouldn't be able to think straight.

Dennis

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
You are wasting your time. Most of the people here wouldn't and haven't bet a quarter in their lives and so wouldn't know what to do in any situation. It's a fantasy game for them. If most of the respondents had to be at a table betting $100 per game against an equal opponent, they wouldn't be able to think straight.

Dennis
I agree with you and Beatle. This is probably the right shot for Billy and a few other people , not the majority though.
I lined up the inside edge of the cueball and nine , if you shoot straight into the nine it banks the 8 out instead of kicking it and the 8 ball takes a path wider away from the cueball as it leaves .{No kiss unless you hit it into the 12 or whatever that ball is near the bottom rail } {If you did that you butchered the shot anyway } The nine should cross over and the cueball with a little drag draw would stop behind the 6 or thereabouts .
Keeps from leaving a bank, or even a clear shot toward your hole if you make a ball the 6 goes and for me I could shoot this shot for a lot of money because I know it's the right shot for me.
You wouldn't hit this ball hard. The shot is all about shooting straight into the nine and floating the cueball 1 to 4 inches or so.

Island Drive

Verified Member

Dennis
Woof.................................

Tennessee Joe6

Verified Member
I still like the ticky using the one ball. Even if there is a table scratch because the cue ball does not hit a rail after the ticky ... so what. A table scratch may be the a lot better than selling out with a risky shot.