Wwyd

jrhendy

Verified Member
I don’t know what your problem is, that you keep acting like such a jerk with the insults and the lies directed at me, wrongly denigrating my character, when I haven’t said a word to you…

Would you like to bet $5,000 on this latest lie of yours that you put out here in public?....You’re trying to make me look bad to people here on the site that weren't there to see how it really went down...I hope you want to bet, I've got a ton of witnesses….You say I immediately "scooted out the back door" after the match – That’s a Fukking lie…The truth is..I was standing by the chair one table over from the table we were playing on while you made the final two balls to win the match..I then stayed sitting in that chair, letting the loss sink in for about 10-15 minutes, before finally leaving through the front door….And you are knocking my character re. the after match handshake?…I challenge you to find one person who would say that I wasn't a good sportsman to play/gamble with, winning or losing a match….For your information it’s tradition always, for THE WINNER of the match to walk over to the loser and commiserate and shake hands – YOU NEVER CAME OVER TO ME TO DO THAT WHILE I WAS SITTING IN THAT CHAIR FOR 10-15 MINUTES – INSTEAD YOU WALKED PAST/AROUND ME AND OVER TO THE BAR.. SO WOULD YOU LIKE TO BET $5,000 THAT THAT’S WHAT ACTUALLY TRANSPIRED WHEN THE MATCH ENDED?...

I think I know what your problem is, and why you're acting like a jerk...you can't stand the fact that Billy Incardona, the most accurate analyzer of pool players speeds in the country, stated here on this site for all to see - that I'm a better One Pocket player than you, and that I know and understand the game better...and don't think you can negate his saying that by saying he only said that cuz I'm his horse, as you tried to say before - BECAUSE HE SAID THAT SAME THING A YEAR AGO BEFORE WE EVER PLAYED, OR HAD A MATCH SET UP - WHEN HE HAD NO VESTED INTEREST OF ANY KIND IN SAYING IT....AND WE CAN BET $5,000 ON THAT TOO.

And last of all..sure you can high roll me all you want, that'll always give you an excuse to not play me....but you've got action with me any time you want/if we see each other, for $100 a game, and I'll be betting my own - and you can keep your 1 game on the wire - I don't need it to beat you.
If you were anywhere near the table after the match, you truly are a Ghost, because I was there for several minutes and did not see you.

Let's see, first I had a brief chat with Riva, then Fred came over with the money and we talked a while, then I tried to give the guy who streamed it some jelly that he would not take, then I talked to John Lavin and paid the time, had brief conversations with a couple other people and then went over and talked to Chicago Mike and then I went to the bar.

I wish I had a copy of the tape of the match. Several people who were watching asked me " Where did he go"? Now I know you sat in a chair and Ghosted it just a few feet from where Fred and I talked. I did not see you and would apologize if I saw you there.

We were both gentleman on the table during the match.

Why am I being a jerk, and I admit I am, it all goes back to our partner match at DCC against Fred and Billy. Some things just stick in your craw and you have been in mine ever since.

androd

Verified Member
I don't think it is at all customary for the winner to approach the loser with a handshake, especially in heated battles. I don't think stuff like this needs to be thought about too much, but I would think it would be quite the opposite if I had to guess - loser would extend the hand if the "vibe" and "sentiment" is there for it..... and if not, winner just "lets it be." I see the post'match handshake as a kind of gentlemanly concession the loser can make if he feels like it. If not, I think it is perfectly fine.
Yep, it's definitely the losers move. When I lose, which is often,:eek: I don't want someone telling I got unlucky, or they got lucky or better luck next time, blah blah blah. If my opponent was a nice guy and we had no problems,(which is usually the case) I'll go shake hands and say good game.
Rod.

jrhendy

Verified Member
John what the f#@& has gotten into you? What happened to the gentleman stand up guy we used to know? You said it yourself the Ghost had you beat at least twice during the match while you never once had him until the last ball of the last game. You seem to forget, yeah you won but just barely by the skin of your teeth. You were there weren't you? You saw the same match as the rest of us? Now you are offering a game on the wire? You must be drinking. You barely won. You acted like a gentleman after the match. What happened? Now you are acting like an asshole with a serious case of the Old Timers.
Maybe it is the Old Timers. I have been agitated with Ghost for some time now and I would never let that show on the table.

It has nothing to do with the match in Chicago, and perhaps I am being mean spirited and an asshole, but I.M.O. he has anything I sling at him coming.

Island Drive

Verified Member
Maybe it is the Old Timers. I have been agitated with Ghost for some time now and I would never let that show on the table.

It has nothing to do with the match in Chicago, and perhaps I am being mean spirited and an asshole, but I.M.O. he has anything I sling at him coming.
Yep....there's allot of different types of ''sling''.

petie

Verified Member
Yep, it's definitely the losers move. When I lose, which is often,:eek: I don't want someone telling I got unlucky, or they got lucky or better luck next time, blah blah blah. If my opponent was a nice guy and we had no problems,(which is usually the case) I'll go shake hands and say good game.
Rod.[/QU

I know this isn't tennis but in the old days, the winner of a tennis match was expected to hop over the net and shake hands with the loser.

wincardona

Verified Member
I did enjoy your fair city, the food and the people in the pool room.

Unbelievable rolls, I think not. Ghost had a couple chances to win and failed (See, I am being diplomatic here). He scooted out the back door after the final ball fell in and I never saw him again.

I can understand being upset, but I would have given him his props and a handshake before I went into my pout.

Any of you guys that think I was lucky and he can outplay me, get the $$ up and I will make another trip. He has a game on the wire going to 12.
John, you are one of , if not, the most well respected person on this site and to hear you say some of the things you are saying is to me not really what I perceived as ..in your character. Don't get me wrong what you have said is not really that bad, you just happen to be venting and sticking your chest out at the same time, like we all have done at one time or another. Yes in a way your entitled to behave the way you are behaving and the response you're receiving is not so much that you are an "ass hole" imo, but one that is surprising to many on here that you have that type of behavior in you. I really believe your intentions are to get to the Ghost to make him want to play you again, by offering him a game on the wire. You are showing a lot of grit with your proposal and you are starting to get my attention with your offer.

I would like to make a compromise with a counter offer just to start up a little action. You want to give the Ghost a game on the wire for a decent bet, right? How about if you laid him $550 to $500 every game at Red Shoes. That would be somewhat comparable to a game on the wire. What do you say?

I'm going in for surgery on Monday the 28th. (bunions) but i'll be able to get away anytime after a month after surgery.

Bill Incardona

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Rod.[/QU

I know this isn't tennis but in the old days, the winner of a tennis match was expected to hop over the net and shake hands with the loser.
Gotta go with Rod on this one Petie !...So if there ain't no net to hop over, and the loser's not on the other side of it,... whaddaya
do then ? :rolleyes:

androd

Verified Member
Rod.
Agreed. Tennis is too much of a society game for the winner to blow smoke up the losers a$$ :)
Rod.
P.S. Don't know if anyone gambles on it. It's more about bedding the debutantes at the country club.
Or the Tennis pro.

jrhendy

Verified Member
John, you are one of , if not, the most well respected person on this site and to hear you say some of the things you are saying is to me not really what I perceived as ..in your character. Don't get me wrong what you have said is not really that bad, you just happen to be venting and sticking your chest out at the same time, like we all have done at one time or another. Yes in a way your entitled to behave the way you are behaving and the response you're receiving is not so much that you are an "ass hole" imo, but one that is surprising to many on here that you have that type of behavior in you. I really believe your intentions are to get to the Ghost to make him want to play you again, by offering him a game on the wire. You are showing a lot of grit with your proposal and you are starting to get my attention with your offer.

I would like to make a compromise with a counter offer just to start up a little action. You want to give the Ghost a game on the wire for a decent bet, right? How about if you laid him $550 to $500 every game at Red Shoes. That would be somewhat comparable to a game on the wire. What do you say?

I'm going in for surgery on Monday the 28th. (bunions) but i'll be able to get away anytime after a month after surgery.

Bill Incardona
If it is the same thing, I will stick to a game on the wire.:D That odds on the $$ is staring you in the face every game.

Good luck with the surgery. I won't be making any trips until after the holidays unless it's a quick trip to Los Angeles or maybe Phoenix. My arthritis is acting up and I need a little warm weather.

petie

Verified Member
Agreed. Tennis is too much of a society game for the winner to blow smoke up the losers a$$ :)
Rod.
P.S. Don't know if anyone gambles on it. It's more about bedding the debutantes at the country club.
Or the Tennis pro.
Bedding the debutantes? They're damn smart those tennis players. Seriously, they do bet on tennis. I once saw Johnny Carson woof on George Peppard to play for $100,000. That shut him up. I can't think of any championship sport where the loser is expected to go out of his way to act gracious and humble himself any more than the contest already has. Its the sign of a true champion to win graciously and give the loser some props. Either way, they should both be gracious and acknowledge that the contest is over and the contestants are both deserving of respect. Part of what's wrong with pool is the punk attitude of a lot of the players. And I use the word "punk" in it's fullest sense.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
And also, it’s tradition/customary, for THE WINNER of the match to walk over to the loser to commiserate and shake hands

Ya know, just to put yet another reality check up here...I talked to Dr. Billy on the phone today...and since he's watched and gambled on a zillion different sporting matches in his day...but more to the point, he's commentated on, and played in a many, many hundreds of serious $$$ pool matches in his 50 years in the pool world...so based on his voluminous experience (not to mention his own personal solid grasp of right and wrong) I asked him to tell me who traditionally should, and does, initiate the shaking of hands after a serious athletic match concludes, the winner or the loser..and his unbiased (unlike some John-lovers on here), reality based answer was...

The winner..period.

- Ghost

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Dr. Bill, Don't expect to be doing much walking around after only a month of recovery from bunion surgery. It's tough stuff. You should be up and around but with limited mobility and in short bursts.

Good luck to you, it's a good move to get it done. You will feel much better and glad you did it once the recovery is complete.

Do you have to have both feet done?

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
Dr. Bill, Don't expect to be doing much walking around after only a month of recovery from bunion surgery. It's tough stuff. You should be up and around but with limited mobility and in short bursts.

Good luck to you, it's a good move to get it done. You will feel much better and glad you did it once the recovery is complete.

Do you have to have both feet done?

Tom
That doesn't sound too good, yes both feet. The first on Monday and the next foot about three months later. I really don't know what to expect but I have to deal with it regardless of how tough it is.:eek: Anyways maybe I can get some softer action now that i'll be hobbling around. lol. Like to be feeling better for the DCC in January, thanks for your concern.

Bill Incardona

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
What ever you do don't watch any videos on the procedure. Just get it done and get well. You will want someone nearby to help care for you the first day or two. The Dr. probably won't want you to put any weight on that foot for the first few days and you will have to keep it iced as best you can. But of course the Dr. will tell you all that. At least that was the way it was for my sister. I took care of her when she had hers done. That wasn't all that long ago. She kept putting it off and it kept getting worse and worse. Now she's jogging and walking for miles at a time. She's you age too. You'll be fine. :)

Tom

wincardona

Verified Member
What ever you do don't watch any videos on the procedure. Just get it done and get well. You will want someone nearby to help care for you the first day or two. The Dr. probably won't want you to put any weight on that foot for the first few days and you will have to keep it iced as best you can. But of course the Dr. will tell you all that. At least that was the way it was for my sister. I took care of her when she had hers done. That wasn't all that long ago. She kept putting it off and it kept getting worse and worse. Now she's jogging and walking for miles at a time. She's you age too. You'll be fine. :)

Tom
Thanks again Tom, tomorrow can't come too soon. Anyways i'll be spending a lot of time at home, probably will be spending more time on the computer than normal. My foot has been getting worse by the day (right foot) paining me across the front of my foot along my toes when I walk. My doctor said that's unusual but for some reason I feel that it's related to my bunion.

Bill Incardona

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Bill, Do you think it could be that you have been favoring you foot by walking in an odd manor? If so you could be putting pressure on that foot in a way that is causing the strange pain you are experiencing. Bunions are brutal to walk with so maybe you have changed your step from the typical. That could even cause back pain.

It's no question but that you are doing the right thing in getting the bunions removed. It sounds like the time has come. Keep us informed as to your progress and be assured we here are all rooting for you to do well.

Tom

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Ya know, just to put yet another reality check up here...I talked to Dr. Billy on the phone today...and since he's watched and gambled on a zillion different sporting matches in his day...but more to the point, he's commentated on, and played in a many, many hundreds of serious $$$ pool matches in his 50 years in the pool world...so based on his voluminous experience (not to mention his own personal solid grasp of right and wrong) I asked him to tell me who traditionally should, and does, initiate the shaking of hands after a serious athletic match concludes, the winner or the loser..and his unbiased (unlike some John-lovers on here), reality based answer was...

The winner..period.

- Ghost
I don't think any one person has all the right answers; although some are correct more than others :)

To each their own I guess. I suppose I should seek out the guys that didn't want to shake hands after a loss, and apologize for not forcing my hand into their space after just having beaten them. One of the few times I don't agree with the doc.

To continue the point, I bet this is something in pool that has gotten misconstrued because of the fact that, well, the winner is always the one standing up and more likely to be walking or initiating.

Ideally, imo, after any contest the thoughts should be:
winner - "yay!"
loser - "let me go let him know that he played better and shake his hand (a kind of concession in saying well done, you were better than me today)"

In any case, it really is a small point. I just don't think the shaking of hands is a big deal either way. I mean, sometimes people have good reason to not want to shake hands. How about if a guy lucks in a few balls in a row, pockets the match ball and then walks over and shoves his hand in your face. What if the loser turns his back to you, are you supposed to go shove your hand down his throat? Despite what conventional wisdom may say, hand shaking is something that should be done on the losers terms. This is a much more amicable arrangement imo, and takes into consideration the emotions of all. And, if the loser does not want to shake, it is perfectly acceptable.

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I don't think any one person has all the right answers; although some are correct more than others :)

To each their own I guess. I suppose I should seek out the guys that didn't want to shake hands after a loss, and apologize for not forcing my hand into their space after just having beaten them. One of the few times I don't agree with the doc.

To continue the point, I bet this is something in pool that has gotten misconstrued because of the fact that, well, the winner is always the one standing up and more likely to be walking or initiating.

Ideally, imo, after any contest the thoughts should be:
winner - "yay!"
loser - "let me go let him know that he played better and shake his hand (a kind of concession in saying well done, you were better than me today)"

In any case, it really is a small point. I just don't think the shaking of hands is a big deal either way. I mean, sometimes people have good reason to not want to shake hands. How about if a guy lucks in a few balls in a row, pockets the match ball and then walks over and shoves his hand in your face. Hand shaking is something that should be done on the losers terms. And, if the loser does not want to shake, it is perfectly acceptable.

Well I agree with TD and Rod (as usual). I always looked at it as a sign of congratulating the winner for the job well done. Just like when The Beard went up to Mr. Henderson and shook hands in congratulations and gave him the stew. I, myself have never ever offered my hand in a handshake, win or lose, but I never refused one from anyone who offered at any time for any reason. I have put out my hand simultaneously at the beginning and end of tournament matches like it was some protocol or something. In local tournaments around here we didn't even do that sometimes. We might just say 'enjoyed it or something'. But apparently they have issues going back to the partner game, which I happened to be watching and there was a certain shot with a ball close to the pocket which caused Mr. Henderson much displeasure. I do not know if there were other issues or not and have not inquired because it is not my business and they may be in the process of arranging another game so I do not want to say anything to queer it, but I like both of them very much every since I started posting here...