wwyd ??

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
If you send the cue ball off the 6 as far as the 3-10 I think there is no way to keep the 6 by your pocket unless you hit the jaw or pocket it. You are trying to follow forward a diamond and a half from the 6 to get to the 3-10. I think the 6 will bounce out at least a diamond. You also have to worry about leaving a cut on the 13.
2-D perspective can be pretty wild sometimes. Bob, your layouts are helpful additions; thank you.

Good thought, Bob, on the travel on the 6 if playing the CB forward to the 3/10. It appears that if trying to play the 6 into the left inside of the pocket, the CB would not track properly for the safety sitting at the 3&10 - so - Final decisions would have to be made when able to be at the table.
I suspect it would be let the 6 play a touch right of the pocket and back up near the 2, in order to ensure the CB plays soft on the 3 and sits inside the 10 leaving no look at the 13.

J.R.

Verified Member
I would also play the 6 ball exactly as "sorackem" outlined in his post. I would play the cue ball to float softly onto the 3-ball and utilize the 10-ball as a blocker.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
The 6 is too close for me so my initial thought was sappos crossing the 11 and cb running into 14. It's a little thinner than I like and there's a chance to scratch in the side off the 14 but I still like it best.

If I were at the table and had a better look I may choose to shoot the 8 if I knew my cb could get safe if I missed.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
If the 6 ball goes then by all means go ahead and try and pocket it, for what's the worst that can happen. I can not think of anything with the cb by the 3. Whitey

Nick B

Verified Member
I'm taking a foul to here and will shoot the kick if he fouls back at me.

1600616056156.png

wincardona

Verified Member
It's also close in mine to the extent that I probably wouldn't shoot it. Here's the overheadView attachment 432396

And here is the view of the 6 shot. It goes (in my diagram) but not to the full pocket.

View attachment 432397
From this picture, I like rolling the 3ball into the 2ball rail first and position the cue ball on top of the 10ball. Concentrate on the cue ball placement.

Dr. Bill

Island Drive

Verified Member
From this picture, I like rolling the 3ball into the 2ball rail first and position the cue ball on top of the 10ball. Concentrate on the cue ball placement.

Dr. Bill
I looked at that shot and that's all I saw.
Put em behind the ten and move those two balls Away.
I've learned from you guys, when you've got a lead and balls are opened up, one bad shot and you can easily loose.

catkins

Verified Member
looking at it again I really like rolling the 6 to sit close to the pocket and freezing on the 3. That feels like a winner to me.

lll

Verified Member
Shoot the 6 to the foot rail and lay it up in front of my hole w/ cb going up against the 3 protecting the 2. Whitey
shane must have taken lessons from you whitey
because thats exactly what he did
here is the shot and the result
shane gentile wwyd shot.pngshane gentile result.png

lll

Verified Member
quick story
i am playing every sunday onepocket with a really good player at my house
he toys with me and likes to torture me
so he will miss on purpose and just leave me stuck
this shot by shane reminded me of him

lll

Verified Member
another quick story
he learned to play out of family and fun billiards in smith town new york.
his name is jeff dovinsky ...his brother john was a top level player
he learned one pocket from "old man miller"
old man miller used tell jeff he would play someone and would win without making a ball
he would hang every ball so the opponent had to make them for him..... :eek: :eek: :eek:
if any one has any stories about jeff or john or old man miller i would love to hear them

beatle

Verified Member
losing 5 zip i dont like it. but a top player who runs 8 and out easily it might be a good choice. not for the average joe down so much. just my way of playing.

sappo

Verified Member
Since Shane did not shoot the 6 ball it is obvious that it didn't pass.

sappo

Verified Member
So Larry 2 questions: what did Gentile shoot from that position? and who won that game? Keith

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
What yr. was this video?
From the Accu-stats catalog, this is probably it:

2012 Derby City Classic XIV: One-Pocket DVD #
Contestants Score Hosts Min D14-1P1
Shane Van Boening def. Chris Gentile 3-2 MW,JH 120

That's Mark Wilson and Jay Helfert commentating.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I looked at that shot and that's all I saw.
Put em behind the ten and move those two balls Away.
I've learned from you guys, when you've got a lead and balls are opened up, one bad shot and you can easily loose.
Unless I am mistaken again, Shane is down 5 to 0.
For everyone shooting at the 6 ball , if you take the actual picture of the shot and run a sheet of paper down the edge of the 6 , it clearly has zero pocket to go in , without doing a dip to the left of a full ball width.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
keith i will answer you tomorrow
i have not forgotten
wwyd?