Wwyd

androd

Verified Member
I like the idea of getting them out of play from here, I don't like them all in play down there but that 13 is only one diamond up the rail and I don't want to leave a desperation shot.

If this shot was available (hard to tell) I think I'd shoot it:

View attachment 14480
Yes I usually choose this shot over the 2 rail.

LSJohn

Verified Member
FWIW, I shot the 2-rail on the 4 several times, never got a result worse than wasting a turn. 4 knocked the 13 into the jaws once, knocked the 4 almost in the jaws once when I hit it long (long-rail/13/toward pocket.) Caught the top corner once, doubled, stayed there... as good as knocking it out of play on purpose. Almost scratched in the other top corner once when I over-juced CB, but end result was good (looked good to me.)

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended

shot.jpg
Yes I usually choose this shot over the 2 rail.
Of the 4 or 5 things I've learned on this forum in the last 7 years it was your penchant for this shot that led me to practice it even more.

If the two-railer is laying better I quite often like it as I see it and hit it very well.

Dennis

tucson9ball

Verified Member
Of the 4 or 5 things I've learned on this forum in the last 7 years it was your penchant for this shot that led me to practice it even more.

If the two-railer is laying better I quite often like it as I see it and hit it very well.

Dennis
I like this shot, and I'm always amazed that it rarely gets the kiss.
In this situation it keeps balls on both rails by your hole and if you possibly make the bank, you win.
Even if you don't make it, using pocket speed all 3 balls are by your hole and the opponent has to shoot from the far end of the table.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
2 rail the 7 with top right... put the cue on the second diamond on the short rail above the side pocket... B
That's the shot for me. The inside CB spin feeds the 7 ball right down to the shooter's hole. And it takes the 7 out of play for the opponent.

~Doc

Island Drive

Verified Member
I like the idea of getting them out of play from here, I don't like them all in play down there but that 13 is only one diamond up the rail and I don't want to leave a desperation shot.

View attachment 14480
Since it's a GC....I might even be tempted to bank the stripe by the foot rail two rails long rail for the win.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
If this is the result of your option then i'm shooting your shot. Pretty strong shot.
I set this shot up tonight and below is what I got on my first attempt.

Later I set the position up for Squirrel and had him tell me what he would shoot. He immediately said you feather the 13 ball and go behind the 7 under the side pocket on their side blocking any return shot.

I showed him my shot and he said it was ok, but it gave the opponent an option to cut the 7 and knock out the 13 ball, which is a possibility. He prefers whatever shot blocks all possible shots.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

Later I set the position up for Squirrel and had him tell me what he would shoot. He immediately said you feather the 13 ball and go behind the 7 under the side pocket on their side blocking any return shot.

I showed him my shot and he said it was ok, but it gave the opponent an option to cut the 7 and knock out the 13 ball, which is a possibility. He prefers whatever shot blocks all possible shots.

This looks a lot like the shot Scott Frost left Efren a short time ago and he cut the spotted ball in and ran out .
I'm shooting the shot Bill Incardona suggested.
I would rather move at least one ball out of play up table but that's not an easy option.
My other shot , would be to bank the 12 ball up to the corner on my side and put the cueball up near the side pocket blocking the 13 with the 7.
If I got unlucky and made the 12 it spots up behind the 7 anyway.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member

thanks for sharing squirrels perspective.........kudos.jpg

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Studying this layout and reading everyone's options, I like a variation of Dr. Bill's shot the most. I would thin the 13 with 11 o'clock english making sure I fall on the long rail, short of the corner pocket. If my speed is slightly off, the result will still be very good even if I bounce all the way down to the head rail near the 1st diamond. My thinking here is in controling the 13, I only want to move it a few inches closer to my pocket and off the rail slightly. If he cuts the 7 in and gets out from there, he just gets paid.

Wannabe's shot is good also IMO I wouldn't want to bet the game I could cut the 7 ball in from there either.

Hendy's shot works very well for me also, hiding the 13 behind the 12 leaves nothing but an off angle desperation bank at the 7 ball, or a tough safety.

Any bank of the 7 ball from here looks either kissy or unnecessarily risky needing only one ball to win, JMO.

Island Drive

Verified Member
I still think clipping the stripe by the foot rail, and leaving whitey up on the head rail is just as good, and even easier to control the obj. ball.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member

I showed him my shot and he said it was ok, but it gave the opponent an option to cut the 7 and knock out the 13 ball, which is a possibility. He prefers whatever shot blocks all possible shots. ...
Marshall is one of my favorite players of all time. He still a good player, even though he's in his 80's! I played him 8-10 years ago in Mobile, getting 10-7. I learned a lot.

But I'm not sure I understand Squirrel's suggestion here. With the CB left across table, that leaves the shooter plenty of take out options, and even a bank on the 7. Needing them all, the opponent might go for it.;) I see that he's trying to protect the 13, but there are still too many choices.

I prefer grouping all the balls together by the shooter's hole, and/or leaving the CB long on the head rail.

~Doc

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Good question Doc, this is what Marshall had in mind and I think it blocks the bank on the 7. If they knock balls out from here, they better go up table (which still helps you). He said the scratch is a possibility in the side but he still preferred that type of shot. He didn't like going up table because it's possible to leave a free bank on the 13 sending whitey up table (and he hits those banks very well btw).

That said, I tried this shot 3-4 times and it's much harder than it looks so it's not something I can easily do.

Marshall is one of my favorite players of all time. He still a good player, even though he's in his 80's! I played him 8-10 years ago in Mobile, getting 10-7. I learned a lot.

But I'm not sure I understand Squirrel's suggestion here. With the CB left across table, that leaves the shooter plenty of take out options, and even a bank on the 7. Needing them all, the opponent might go for it.;) I see that he's trying to protect the 13, but there are still too many choices.

I prefer grouping all the balls together by the shooter's hole, and/or leaving the CB long on the head rail.

~Doc

youngstownkid

Verified Member
Wwyd

Good question Doc, this is what Marshall had in mind and I think it blocks the bank on the 7. If they knock balls out from here, they better go up table (which still helps you). He said the scratch is a possibility in the side but he still preferred that type of shot. He didn't like going up table because it's possible to leave a free bank on the 13 sending whitey up table (and he hits those banks very well btw).

That said, I tried this shot 3-4 times and it's much harder than it looks so it's not something I can easily do.

Would prob be easier to make the 7 in the corner and try placing the cb there

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Mkbtank

Verified Member
Wwyd

I think I would two rail the 7 also and put the cue up by the head rail with 3 balls in the vicinity of my hole and make him defend it. That or two rail the 13 towards the 12 and put the cue in the top left corner.

onepockethacker

Verified Member

Sorry but this is definitely not the right option in this spot... you are leaving your opponent a free kick on the 13 to win the game or to kick it by his hole and trap the cue ball behind the 12..

beatle

Verified Member
franks shot against a weaker mover than me.

bill's shot against a top player or poor player.

any shot that leaves a flier where he can get out being a big dog is a poor choice.