WWYD - you need both balls

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Well I was able to get out again this weekend and play some both Saturday and Sunday, great time!

This shot came up and I was curious to see what you guys would do here.

I need both balls and my pocket is bottom right, my shot.

You can make the 2 ball but the CB will travel.

WWYD?

LSJohn

Verified Member
Well I was able to get out again this weekend and play some both Saturday and Sunday, great time!

WWYD?

If the cloth is reasonably dry and fast, I'd shoot the 2 and send whitey 4 rails back and forth. If not, I'd cut the 2 thin and roll across to stop on/near the other long rail.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
A guy could go ahead and try to pocket the 2, as long as the CB doesn't end up anywhere on your side of the table, if missed. Also if the 2 lays on the side rail, it could leave a bank for the opponent.

If the shooter would just thin the 2 and roll the CB to the opposite rail, there's nothing that the opponent can do in return. Whatever he shoots will allow for either a return bank, or a take-out of his 3 ball.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
If the cloth is reasonably dry and fast, I'd shoot the 2 and send whitey 4 rails back and forth. If not, I'd cut the 2 thin and roll across to stop on/near the other long rail.
A guy could go ahead and try to pocket the 2, as long as the CB doesn't end up anywhere on your side of the table, if missed. Also if the 2 lays on the side rail, it could leave a bank for the opponent.

If the shooter would just thin the 2 and roll the CB to the opposite rail, there's nothing that the opponent can do in return. Whatever he shoots will allow for either a return bank, or a take-out of his 3 ball.

~Doc
i would probably do what is bolded above
tony or danny would go for the win like this....:D
cincy 2.jpg

cincy_kid

Verified Member
You mean keep the CB up top by the head rail back and forth right? And the table was very dry and fast...

cincy_kid

Verified Member

~Doc
Yes I was worried about the 3 doc and I will reveal what I did later today when more have responded :)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
i would probably do what is bolded above
tony or danny would go for the win like this....:D
View attachment 15124
Hey Larry, I am not 100% sure but if I recall correctly, you couldn't see enough of the right side of the 2 to bank it like that. It would have ended up banking below the side pocket at best.

androd

Verified Member
Saw the 2ball toward your pocket with a lot of left spin, hope you don't scratch where you started.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
WWYD - you need both balls

I don't think even they can get the 2 ball to twist that much.

Absolutely they can imo. Slow with plenty of turn. Not that I would shoot this for the cash, but it is a possibility.

lll

Verified Member
Yes I was worried about the 3 doc and I will reveal what I did later today when more have responded :)
if the cue ball is along his long rail he cant cut the 3 in and he isnt going to try to kick it in

petie

Verified Member
Cut the two into your pocket and zig-zag the cue ball to his long rail below his side pocket. Is this what LSJohn already said?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
if the cue ball is along his long rail he cant cut the 3 in and he isnt going to try to kick it in
Correct. I was commenting on the first part of his reply where he said you just need to leave the CB where he cant cut the 3.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Cut the two into your pocket and zig-zag the cue ball to his long rail below his side pocket. Is this what LSJohn already said?
I think John meant to keep the CB up near the head rail and go back and forth up top, but I will let him confirm that.

lll

Verified Member
I think John meant to keep the CB up near the head rail and go back and forth up top, but I will let him confirm that.
i think so too
since you cant easily get behind the 3
i would want to leave as much distance for the possible bank you would leave if you tried to shoot it and missed

Jeff sparks

Verified Member

WWYD?

Looks like it lays good for the cut, a pocket speed cut on the 2 ball will leave the CB over by his long rail after the z/z... Pocket speed is the key here, and not catching that monstrous side pocket point with the 2 ball...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Ok, I have 3 diagrams for you. What I thought about doing, what I tried to do and then what ended up happening :)

Thought about doing this - The reason I ended up not doing it is because I was afraid I would have to hit it a little too hard and the CB was going to come back to my long rail giving him a shot at the 3 if I miss.

Tried to do this - I figured if I make the 2 ball, I get shape on the 3 and have a chance to win the game!

What ended up happening - The 2 ball rattled in the jaws and I put a little too much RHE on the CB and my speed was off a little so I ended up selling out an easy cut on the 3 for the loss.

I think if I had to do it again I would either try the same thing with less RHE or I like docs safe shot of just thinning the 2 ball and rolling the CB to his long rail. Wait for my next shot where I can bank my 2 or take out his 3.

lll

Verified Member
Ok, I have 3 diagrams for you. What I thought about doing, what I tried to do and then what ended up happening :)

Thought about doing this - The reason I ended up not doing it is because I was afraid I would have to hit it a little too hard and the CB was going to come back to my long rail giving him a shot at the 3 if I miss.

Tried to do this - I figured if I make the 2 ball, I get shape on the 3 and have a chance to win the game!

What ended up happening - The 2 ball rattled in the jaws and I put a little too much RHE on the CB and my speed was off a little so I ended up selling out an easy cut on the 3 for the loss.

I think if I had to do it again I would either try the same thing with less RHE or I like docs safe shot of just thinning the 2 ball and rolling the CB to his long rail. Wait for my next shot where I can bank my 2 or take out his 3.
looking at the diagram
it seemed to me the line of the cue ball after after cutting the 2 would go towards the 1st diamond up from the corner not 2 1/2 diamonds as your pic shows
thats why i said there was no easy way to get to the 3
if you could get higher as you pic shows
i would be concerned about scratching in the side if i dont hit it well
since as you found out if the cue ball hits too far down the rail from the side pocket it goes long and leaves an easy shot for him if you miss
the cut is tough enough
to have to to do 2 tough things at the same time
unless the z position for the cue ball looked natural and you just over did it

you do get an A for effort...:)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
looking at the diagram
it seemed to me the line of the cue ball after after cutting the 2 would go towards the 1st diamond up from the corner not 2 1/2 diamonds as your pic shows
thats why i said there was no easy way to get to the 3
if you could get higher as you pic shows
i would be concerned about scratching in the side if i dont hit it well
since as you found out if the cue ball hits too far down the rail from the side pocket it goes long and leaves an easy shot for him if you miss
the cut is tough enough
to have to to do 2 tough things at the same time
unless the z position for the cue ball looked natural and you just over did it

you do get an A for effort...:)
My diagram may have been off a tad then but yes you for sure could get 1 rail then below the side pocket, it seemed almost natural shape to me but I misjudged how it was going to come off that second long rail and should have had the CB hit my long rail much closer to the side pocket.

But point well taken about having to do 2 hard things in one shot. I guess I felt that even if I don't get shape on the 3, the CB is going to end up along his long rail someplace and I would be safe even if I don't make the 2 but then again if I don't rattle the 2 and leave him a bank, that's not so safe either.

Thanks for the "A" Larry :)

I may have lost the game but I won the set!