WWYD - you need 1

1pwannabe

Verified Member
What I ended up doing, and I know it was not the best shot but couldn't think of what else to do was this:

My thought was that he needs them all and if I could tie up the 2 balls on his long rail or at least make it so he would have to shoot a combo down the rail after he banked the 14 then I may be ok.

He ended up banking the 14 and making it but then missed the 12 down the rail which he could see without shooting a combination. I got lucky to win this one after my shot, but I still don't think the stun shot down to the bottom rail was there.
You did indeed get lucky to win this one, you gave him the table by surrendering your position. It's very important at this stage, when you only need 1 and you're playing a better player (8-7 spot?) to keep him on the defensive. You cannot directly protect the 14 so that ball hurts you more than helps, if you let him see any bank on it.

You need to ask yourself in these positions, "how do I keep the pressure on him and make the 14 still work for me?" If you cannot find any way to make it work for you, you're typically better off removing it. In this case bringing the 12 over to your side, and having the 8 where it is, makes any shot on the 14 very expensive for him and worth the risk.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
You did indeed get lucky to win this one, you gave him the table by surrendering your position. It's very important at this stage, when you only need 1 and you're playing a better player (8-7 spot?) to keep him on the defensive. You cannot directly protect the 14 so that ball hurts you more than helps, if you let him see any bank on it.

You need to ask yourself in these positions, "how do I keep the pressure on him and make the 14 still work for me?" If you cannot find any way to make it work for you, you're typically better off removing it. In this case bringing the 12 over to your side, and having the 8 where it is, makes any shot on the 14 very expensive for him and worth the risk.
This particular opponent we play even (although I should be probably giving him a ball or 2).

Yea I almost shot the 14 away but wasn't sure where to put it. I was afraid if I shot the 12 and went up table with the cb that I was giving him a crossover bank on the 14 PLUS the 8 ball straight in if he makes it.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
This particular opponent we play even (although I should be probably giving him a ball or 2).

Yea I almost shot the 14 away but wasn't sure where to put it. I was afraid if I shot the 12 and went up table with the cb that I was giving him a crossover bank on the 14 PLUS the 8 ball straight in if he makes it.
The 14 bank is an unavoidable double kiss if you leave the cue ball up high enough. He could move it over to his side only, but then he would leave you a bank on it.

Thanks for the WWYD, this is a great one because it's a position that comes up a lot. It's also easy to set up and try various shots to find the correct choice.

petie

Verified Member
I know I'm late to the party but from where you lay you can 2 rail the 8 towards your pocket with a good chance of making it. This is done by aiming to hit as close to the up-table RH corner pocket as you can without making the ball and using LH English. This allows you to send the cue ball off the long rail and across the table to your side above the 14. There is a possible kiss but it would be worth the risk to win the game now or the next shot.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
The 14 bank is an unavoidable double kiss if you leave the cue ball up high enough. He could move it over to his side only, but then he would leave you a bank on it.

Thanks for the WWYD, this is a great one because it's a position that comes up a lot. It's also easy to set up and try various shots to find the correct choice.
No problem, I love posting WWYD's because I "feel" like anytime I come to the table I pretty much know what to do within a few moments of surveying the table but when situations come up where I have to think on it longer, I love to hear what some of you all would do so I can try to soak up as much knowledge / logic as I can ;)

On a side note, I figured if I floated the CB up to the corner and crossed the 12 over to my rail that he would have something like this. Even if the 14 is on a dbl kiss he could bring to his side (not leave me a bank) and now he has the favorable position.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I know I'm late to the party but from where you lay you can 2 rail the 8 towards your pocket with a good chance of making it. This is done by aiming to hit as close to the up-table RH corner pocket as you can without making the ball and using LH English. This allows you to send the cue ball off the long rail and across the table to your side above the 14. There is a possible kiss but it would be worth the risk to win the game now or the next shot.
Better late than never!

If I dont get the 8b close to my hole he is going to have the 12 ball down the rail and he can use some RHE to either get a 2 way safe and/or bank the 8 if he pockets the 12.

I was really trying not to have the CB go above the side pocket if possible but maybe that wasn't keeping an open mind on my part.

I dont "think" it laid this way Petie, but I love your shot if I can 2 rail the 8, use some high left, CB into his long rail close enough to the 12 where I can spin into it and knock it up table a little further (maybe even to my side).

1pwannabe

Verified Member
From here, if he doesn't get whitey back on the rail, you'll have better cuing ability. The 12 is now out of play and on your side. You've improved your odds and cut his in this position.

No problem, I love posting WWYD's because I "feel" like anytime I come to the table I pretty much know what to do within a few moments of surveying the table but when situations come up where I have to think on it longer, I love to hear what some of you all would do so I can try to soak up as much knowledge / logic as I can ;)

On a side note, I figured if I floated the CB up to the corner and crossed the 12 over to my rail that he would have something like this. Even if the 14 is on a dbl kiss he could bring to his side (not leave me a bank) and now he has the favorable position.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From here, if he doesn't get whitey back on the rail, you'll have better cuing ability. The 12 is now out of play and on your side. You've improved your odds and cut his in this position.
very good point, I would like my safety chances from here much better if I was not frozen to the end rail.

Thanks again!

petie

Verified Member
Better late than never!

If I dont get the 8b close to my hole he is going to have the 12 ball down the rail and he can use some RHE to either get a 2 way safe and/or bank the 8 if he pockets the 12.

I was really trying not to have the CB go above the side pocket if possible but maybe that wasn't keeping an open mind on my part.

I dont "think" it laid this way Petie, but I love your shot if I can 2 rail the 8, use some high left, CB into his long rail close enough to the 12 where I can spin into it and knock it up table a little further (maybe even to my side).
LH English is how this shot is made, taught to me in person by Freddie. The cue ball naturally goes off the opponents long rail and almost straight across to my long rail leaving no good shot on the 12.