WWYD - you need 1

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Was playing some today and although I ended up winning my session (and this game)...this shot came up and I thought for a while before i pulled the trigger and ended up making a bad shot in the end.

I needed 1 - the CB is froze on the end rail by my pocket and the 14 is not froze on the side rail nor is the 12.

WWYD?

Cloidius

Verified Member
This....

This....

is a simple shot, a hair of left will keep both the eight and the cue away from the pocket. I would rather not double up those balls but...

Attachments

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
It looks as though you can hit the left side of the 12 ball. If so, I'd bank the 12 across toward your long rail, and float the CB up toward the corner. Now it's going to be difficult for the opponent to not leave you some kind of shot to end it. You only need 1, so you'd be a big favorite to win it from here.

~Doc

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Thanks for the posts guys but keep in mind the CB is froze to the end rail. Its impossible to bring the CB back to the end rail after hitting the 8. You can only hit the top half of the CB. If you jack up, the best you are going to get is stunning the ball to the side rail but are not going to have any control over it. This is why I waited so long to shoot. If I could 2 rail the 8 and bring the CB back down, its for sure the shot I would have instantly taken.

If you load the CB up with a lot of right to spin it back down to end rail, the 8 ball is banking 1 rail long into his pocket.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
Thanks for the posts guys but keep in mind the CB is froze to the end rail. Its impossible to bring the CB back to the end rail after hitting the 8. You can only hit the top half of the CB. If you jack up, the best you are going to get is stunning the ball to the side rail but are not going to have any control over it. This is why I waited so long to shoot. If I could 2 rail the 8 and bring the CB back down, its for sure the shot I would have instantly taken.

If you load the CB up with a lot of right to spin it back down to end rail, the 8 ball is banking 1 rail long into his pocket.

Kid,

Looks like the tangent line from the CB through the 8 ball to the long rail points at about the 1st diamond above the side pocket. If that's true then you can cut the 8 enough to help move the CB in the direction of the side rail. With the butt jacked-up all the way, stun-drawing the CB over with low RHE will lower the contact point on the side rail, then the RHE ( spin) will cause the CB to fall back nicely towards the foot rail.

Not a difficult shot really. Just gotta stroke it with some conviction... ::)

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
is a simple shot, a hair of left will keep both the eight and the cue away from the pocket. I would rather not double up those balls but...
if the draw is not for you this is a nice alternative from clodius
see diagram post #3

1pwannabe

Verified Member
This would be a great shot if possible, but I don't think the speed is right to send the cue ball that far with the 8 banking only 1 rail. It looks to me like the 8 will most likely come back out near the center of the table off your side rail.

This would depend on the rails however. If the rails play slow and the cloth plays fast, it could work.

Last edited:

1pwannabe

Verified Member
It looks as though you can hit the left side of the 12 ball. If so, I'd bank the 12 across toward your long rail, and float the CB up toward the corner. Now it's going to be difficult for the opponent to not leave you some kind of shot to end it. You only need 1, so you'd be a big favorite to win it from here.

~Doc
I like this as well, if the left side of the 12 is visible. It forces your opponent to have to play defense only and defend against several things at once. And it's very easy to execute.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Kid,

Looks like the tangent line from the CB through the 8 ball to the long rail points at about the 1st diamond above the side pocket. If that's true then you can cut the 8 enough to help move the CB in the direction of the side rail. With the butt jacked-up all the way, stun-drawing the CB over with low RHE will lower the contact point on the side rail, then the RHE ( spin) will cause the CB to fall back nicely towards the foot rail.

Not a difficult shot really. Just gotta stroke it with some conviction... ::)
Maybe the Cb was an inch or so over towards the middle then because that shot was not available to me. Looking at this one, which may be closer to how it laid, WWYD?

lll

Verified Member

~Doc
I like this as well, if the left side of the 12 is visible. It forces your opponent to have to play defense only and defend against several things at once. And it's very easy to execute.
i am not sure you can see the left side of the 12
cincy was that available??

cincy_kid

Verified Member
What I ended up doing, and I know it was not the best shot but couldn't think of what else to do was this:

My thought was that he needs them all and if I could tie up the 2 balls on his long rail or at least make it so he would have to shoot a combo down the rail after he banked the 14 then I may be ok.

He ended up banking the 14 and making it but then missed the 12 down the rail which he could see without shooting a combination. I got lucky to win this one after my shot, but I still don't think the stun shot down to the bottom rail was there.