WWYD - Tom Worth vs John Nevin (SOPC)

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Tom's shot. Excellent moving so far in a thrilling end game battle.

What would you shoot? What would Tom shoot?

kickman

Verified Member
two rail

two rail

I would two rail the seven with low left English, tryin to get seven near where cueball is now.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
I would kick softly at the 7 trying to move it along the rail towards my pocket with the QB coming up towards the spot or a bit higher

petie

Verified Member
This lays pretty well for the 3 rail bank of 7 ball--end rail, side rail, head rail. Hit it with high karate. It has a good chance to go and if missed, has a good chance to block the bank. Of course, if it goes, Tom wins.

pvclou

Verified Member

Stop shot on the 7, banking it three rails towards my side pocket (end rail, side rail, end rail)

vapros

Bank the 5 gently out toward the spot, and leave the cue ball on the short rail, on John's side of the 7. It's not serious if you don't leave it exactly on the rail, as long as the 5 goes out of reach.

youngstownkid

Verified Member
Hit the right half of the 5 softly to leave the 5 on the rail and cue behind the 7.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Scrzbill

Verified Member
This is the type of shot that you can easily lose the game. My shot is that kind of shot because I would be trying to put the balls on the other end of the table almost reversing their position. To do this I am shooting off the five with my aim at the cue ball 11am and hard so the five goes two rails up table and the seven goes two rails up table. My cue ball comes off the seven hitting the bottom rail and spinning off the side rail back to the end rail. My biggest problem would be loosing the cue ball in the right hand pocket. Tough shot no matter what you shoot. Good What I Would Do.

beatle

Verified Member
kick into the 7 ball by going long rail to short rail and then ball. easy shot here with you being in the corner. hard to sell out here unless you hit it way too short. you can get lucky and kick it in or close and maybe get out.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
For sure Im 2 railing the 7 ball here and bringing the cue ball 3/4 rails back up table.. The 5 ball is a good ball for both of you so why move it.. All you have to do is 2 rail the 7 and have it end up anywhere left of the 5 ball on your side of the table and the cue ball end up up table anywhere to the right of table center and you have put him on the defensive..

Mkbtank

Verified Member

For sure Im 2 railing the 7 ball here and bringing the cue ball 3/4 rails back up table.. The 5 ball is a good ball for both of you so why move it.. All you have to do is 2 rail the 7 and have it end up anywhere left of the 5 ball on your side of the table and the cue ball end up up table anywhere to the right of table center and you have put him on the defensive..

This is the shot I like also. Two rail the 7 with some RHE and bring the cue uptable on his side.

lll

Verified Member
:confused::confused::confused:
how can you 2 rail the 7 to the left of the 5????
i are you back cutting the 7 to go short rail short rail???
and the cue ball going short rail/ right long rail /left long rail/ to the head rail??

onepockethacker

Verified Member
:confused::confused::confused:
how can you 2 rail the 7 to the left of the 5????
i are you back cutting the 7 to go short rail short rail???
and the cue ball going short rail/ right long rail /left long rail/ to the head rail??
exactly Larry.. Its not about making the 7 ball Larry its about turning the tables and putting your opponent on the defensive until you get a better shot... another shot I would strongly consider that I just noticed.. The 7 ball is off the rail... you can come off the end rail left of the 7 ball with right spin and kick the 7 ball off your opponents side rail back over to your side and have the cue ball come back up table.. the 7 ball might even carom off the 5 ball into your hole

P.S. I actually like my second option better.. kick off the end rail and kick the 7 ball off your opponents side rail back to your side

Last edited:

1pwannabe

Verified Member
A few shots earlier and Tom had a similar situation, but the 3 ball was closer to John's hole by a few inches and on the rail. Both times he executed the same shot here, kick 2 rails and throw the 3 ball towards his hole. The first time he hit it great and it ended up close to his hole, however this time whitey caught the underside of the 3 ball so it went up and banked back to John's side with the cue ball going up and back. He hit it a little too hard and almost sold out but ended up getting a good roll leaving John here.

It was really great to watch Tom in action in this game, which he eventually won. He played such an aggressive endgame needing 2 balls and keeping the pressure on John. I learned a great deal from his shot selection, this wasn't a pinch/squeeze type ending at all and this is something I will definitely practice.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I like those two rail kicks like Tom attempted. But they're hard to judge when the OB is further away from the pocket. Tom ended up leaving a nice bank on the 3 ball.

But I would have chosen a shot similar to Hacker's. The key is to get the 3 ball up in the area of the diagonal corner pocket. The trick is to not put too much high spin on the OB, because that tends to kill the rock, and leave it down table.

Sounds like LSJohn was able to give Tom a hard time.;)

~Doc

cincy_kid

Verified Member
At first glance I like 2 rail kicking the 7 towards my ole. If i miss the whole ball I still come up table with the CB.

If I dont shoot that I am 3 railing the 7 towards my long rail and bring the CB back up table a bit to keep him off the 5 cross corner.