WWYD - Spot Shot

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
I can't believe there are this many selections with how " these" balls lay here... Shoot a regular spot shot a little firm where if you miss the ball goes back up table and play the cue ball 2 rails into the back of the 3 ball kicking it up table also.. There are times when to shoot the spot shot like John Henderson suggested.. this isn't one of them.. why would you want to give yourself a tougher shot in this case trying to leave the ball by your pocket when you miss when you are trying to clear the 3 ball at the same time.. if you clear the 3 ball the cue ball will stop close to where the 3 ball is now and you may leave an easy cross corner bank for your opponent
What you say makes perfect sense proving you make the spot shot. If your aim is off and you miss the spot shot then the cue ball takes a different path and you could also miss hitting the three ball. It happens more than we like to say. When the heat is on everything seems more difficult execute.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
There's so much involved here, winner/loser ? comfortable/not so much ?

I was playing Bobby Singer in Memphis (late 60's) and betting the rail, he got this shot.

He's talking to the rail, saying you've got to shoot a spot shot for the money,
right, right, they're agreeing with him.
He get down on the shot, raises up and repeats the question.
He gets down again, raises up up and says
"Well it's my money and I'm shooting the bank"
He hung it in the pocket and the game went on.

As for me I drag the spot shot, leave the CB below the 3ball. I've practiced this so much my make rate is high and I rarely leave a bank.

P.S. you shouldn't roll it, you need to learn to drag it.
The drag shot is my choice as well. It tends to go wide for some reason so you need to practice it. There are also many times where the drag shot is powerful because there's a ball on the footrail that you want to use for protection and/or to get shape on.

That said, there are lots of other positions where I would shoot it like Hendy suggested. But for this one, I would drag it.

Cory

CORRECTION. I was thinking of trying to get *both* the 1 and the 3. If I only need 1, as is the case in this WWYD, then I'm 100% playing to make the 1 and clear the 3. Medium speed, natural cut line to sink the 1 and clear the 3 when hitting a little below center.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION. If you need 2 from here, then does everyone agree with the drag shot?

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
Sorry but I am not sure what the drag shot is, can someone explain?

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Sorry but I am not sure what the drag shot is, can someone explain?
Hit the cue ball with about 2 tips of low, medium-soft to medium depending on the distance, with an extra smooth stroke. The cueball will lose a lot of speed at some point along its path, and it is very visible when it switches from sliding while spinning backwards to slowed-down forward rolling cue. You get the benefit of a very softly hit cue, but without having to slow roll.

At least, that's what it means to me.

Must be something on drag shots out there in the InterTubes.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
I must have missed this lesson, can you explain please?
I think he is referring to a method of calculating your odds to either call or draw a hand in poker (try to Google "Rule of 2 and 4") and applying it to pick an alternative in one pocket.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I think I would take any other bet besides a spot shot contest LOL...seems so easy and routine, but they give me probs...
Cincy, I personally like to take the guess work out of spot shots (when having BIH) by placing the CB on the line from the head corner pocket to the spot. That way a guy only has to aim at a half ball hit on the OB. That results in a little more of a cut on the OB than if the CB is placed near the side rail, but I like to know exactly what point to aim at.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
Cincy, I personally like to take the guess work out of spot shots (when having BIH) by placing the CB on the line from the head corner pocket to the spot. That way a guy only has to aim at a half ball hit on the OB. That results in a little more of a cut on the OB than if the CB is placed near the side rail, but I like to know exactly what point to aim at.

~Doc
doc
i was going to post this for cincy in case he did not know this
but
if you line up from the FACING (on the short rail side) of the pocket to the object ball and aim the cue ball at the edge of the object ball (half ball hit)
it splits the wicket...:)

Mkbtank

Verified Member
WWYD - Spot Shot

Hit the cue ball with about 2 tips of low, medium-soft to medium depending on the distance, with an extra smooth stroke. The cueball will lose a lot of speed at some point along its path, and it is very visible when it switches from sliding while spinning backwards to slowed-down forward rolling cue. You get the benefit of a very softly hit cue, but without having to slow roll.

Sometimes if I am making a ball close to a pocket, and don't commit to the draw... I accidentally apply this stroke and it ends up pocketing the ball and then the cue ball afterwards. So irritating because I know the second I hit the Q ball what is going to happen LOL

NH Steve

Administrator
What's funny is I would probably shoot the spot shot if the bottom left was my hole because I am for some reason more comfortable with that direction -- that is my natural spot shot direction. If my pocket was the bottom right (like you diagrammed it) then I might well shoot the bank if it was in a sweet spot along the side rail. But if I thought the bank was out too far or down to low for it to be nice and juicy then I would probably stay with the spot shot on either side. I would not draw the cue ball as you set it up because I would be afraid of scratching off that other object ball where you placed it in the diagram. Nothing worse than making the damn spot shot and scratching -- that's even more disheartening than missing and leaving a bank if you ask me!!

beatle

Verified Member
the spot shot is one pocket in itself. a shot you have to learn to make many different ways and be able to get position almost anywhere on the table from it.

learn it and just shoot it in and win the game. it is nothing more than shooting any 5 foot straight in shot.

if you dont have the heart to shoot this shot what are you going to shoot. and soon enough your opponent will leave you long all the time until you are broke.

LSJohn

Verified Member
FOLLOW UP QUESTION. If you need 2 from here, then does everyone agree with the drag shot?
I think with ball in hand I like the cross on the 3 a lot. I'm MUCH more likely to make that and get shape on the 1 than I am to make both by dragging on the 1. If I chose the spot shot -- depending on the table and conditions -- I might go 4 rails long to the foot rail.

Disco Dave

Verified Member
I think with ball in hand I like the cross on the 3 a lot. I'm MUCH more likely to make that and get shape on the 1 than I am to make both by dragging on the 1. If I chose the spot shot -- depending on the table and conditions -- I might go 4 rails long to the foot rail.
The very thin cut on the 3-ball crossbank will cause th QB to travel very far up table leaving you a spot shot on the 1 anyway with more difficult shape than BIH spot shot.

cincy_kid

Verified Member

Ah yes I know this shot just did not know that was what it was called thanks Cory!

~Doc
I have not tried that before doc, I will try it, thank you ~ If it's the only ball on the table and I just need to make the shot, I usually put the Cb about 1 diamond from the side rail and use a little draw and try to stroke it.

doc
but
if you line up from the FACING (on the short rail side) of the pocket to the object ball and aim the cue ball at the edge of the object ball (half ball hit)
it splits the wicket...
I dont quite follow this Larry, maybe it's too late for me ;) Is this the same thing doc is saying or slightly different?

What's funny is I would probably shoot the spot shot if the bottom left was my hole because I am for some reason more comfortable with that direction -- that is my natural spot shot direction. If my pocket was the bottom right (like you diagrammed it) then I might well shoot the bank if it was in a sweet spot along the side rail. But if I thought the bank was out too far or down to low for it to be nice and juicy then I would probably stay with the spot shot on either side. I would not draw the cue ball as you set it up because I would be afraid of scratching off that other object ball where you placed it in the diagram. Nothing worse than making the damn spot shot and scratching -- that's even more disheartening than missing and leaving a bank if you ask me!!
I always break to the left pocket, I dont know why, just a habit. Even though supposedly right handed players have an advantage playing to the right hole because the do not have to stretch over more common shots.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Note to self:

Self,

When playing vs. Steve, break from the right.

That is all.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
I always break to the left pocket, I dont know why, just a habit. Even though supposedly right handed players have an advantage playing to the right hole because the do not have to stretch over more common shots.
Gabe Owen breaks from the right and believes that some of the more important shots play better to that pocket (or away from the other... I don't know his entire rationale.)

jrhendy

Verified Member
Gabe Owen breaks from the right and believes that some of the more important shots play better to that pocket (or away from the other... I don't know his entire rationale.)
Makes sense since the cue ball will usually be on that side.

I just had an epiphany.:D

lll

Verified Member
I have not tried that before doc, I will try it, thank you ~ If it's the only ball on the table and I just need to make the shot, I usually put the Cb about 1 diamond from the side rail and use a little draw and try to stroke it.

I dont quite follow this Larry, maybe it's too late for me ;) Is this the same thing doc is saying or slightly different?
its the same idea as doc but alittle more specific of the placement (line) of the cue ball to the object ball
from docs post
placing the CB on the line from the head corner pocket to the spot. That way a guy only has to aim at a half ball hit on the OB.
i am saying line it up from the FACING
pm me if it is still confusing

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
doc
but
it splits the wicket...:)
Yes, what the line-up point actually is, is the imaginary "diamond" at the back of the pocket. The actual diamond doesn't exist, but where its location would be is where the line-up point is. Put another way, if one were to extend the diamonds lines from the short rail and the long rail, where they meet would be the "imaginary" diamond.

~Doc