WWYD: Shoot or not shoot?

8andout

Verified Member
This shot option comes up often, especially after the break. In this situation, Schmidt banked a ball and hung it in his pocket. It's Greniers shot. The stripe by his hole lays about 1" off the rail. Do you shoot the stripe and go up table and back, and try to make a few before pocketing Schmidts ball, or go ahead and pocket Schmidts ball now? If you are playing 9-ball, Grenier shoots the stripe all day long, and plans on making it. I'd say that most of you would pocket Schmidts ball now. What puzzels me is that if you're playing 9-ball and miss that cut shot you will likely leave a shot and lose the game. But in 1 pocket if you miss, your opponent will not likely run 8 and out, and you get another shot.

Attachments

vapros

Verified Member
If you are a good player, you shoot. It should be close to a 90% shot, and 90% position. Even an average player shoots here. If you choose to duck and knock down the ball in his pocket, his return will leave you in someplace awful. The whole layout is in his favor, and you can't pass up a chance to change that.

I am a cautious player, and the cut shot is more like 70% for me, but I shoot it anyway. Easy decision. If the shot was a one-and-done, that would be different. With position, as Scott says, gotta go.

After a second look, maybe it's not a 90% shot, but you go anyway. You could leave your man safe, but you can't put him in trouble.

androd

Verified Member
Yes I'd probably roll in the hanger.

I'm sure I can make the cut shot but if I don't get back down I may get hooked on the hanger and make it much tougher on myself.
Position on these cuts aren't a hanger for me. Sometimes I use a little to much inside to cinch the cut and don't back down table right.

If I didn't have an opening to roll the hanger in and get sorta safe I'd shoot the cut shot every time.

Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Suspended
This shot option comes up often, especially after the break. In this situation, Schmidt banked a ball and hung it in his pocket. It's Greniers shot. The stripe by his hole lays about 1" off the rail. Do you shoot the stripe and go up table and back, and try to make a few before pocketing Schmidts ball, or go ahead and pocket Schmidts ball now? If you are playing 9-ball, Grenier shoots the stripe all day long, and plans on making it. I'd say that most of you would pocket Schmidts ball now. What puzzels me is that if you're playing 9-ball and miss that cut shot you will likely leave a shot and lose the game. But in 1 pocket if you miss, your opponent will not likely run 8 and out, and you get another shot.
If I had a thin enough cut to go up & down the table for position then I would cut the ball in, as long as I could safely get past the stack.

There's nothing wrong with rolling in his ball either. You could get him behind that 1 ball and it's a good spot.

Dennis

bstroud

Verified Member
Cut the ball in and play position for the 6 or 12.

Not a difficult shot and an easy angle for position.

Shooting the hung ball is really not a good option.

Bill S.

Dudley

Verified Member
If this shot was on it would be my first choice.

the cut would be my second.

I can't tell if there's enough room for the cue ball without being at the table.

Dudley

1P.jpg

backplaying

Verified Member
Even if I make his ball, I'm a big dog in this game, but if I can make the shot and get back down on those balls, I become the favorite, I'm shooting.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
I'm shooting too but there could be trouble with all that traffic the cue ball has to navigate though coming back to where all the action is. If it hits something and get locked up where you can't do something with his hanger then that might be the end of this game.

Island Drive

Verified Member
This is one of the more controllable up and down shots that look difficult. The angle coming off the foot rail is determined by cueing a vertical center line kill shot. I'm playin' shape on the 8 going between the 4 Nine? Like to land back on the foot rail.

One pocket Smitty

Verified Member
I shoot his hanger and leave him in the jaws as Rod has stated. All the others that play the cut, they have too many ifs in their play.--Smitty

tylerdurden

Verified Member
An inch from the rail that is a pretty easy hit, I think you have to be shooting here. For me it comes down to the layout and these balls. Against a good player you are just going to be in a world of hurt not shooting here.

If he shoots, he can skip of the good side of the stack after the 2nd rail, in fact that is where I feel whity is going if hit good. If you come further over it is looking real good.

If it helps any, Richard really doesn't shoot all that straight at all, especially compared to his one pocket speed. I don't think what he does here is any evidence at all as to what the correct shot is. He plays so well, but I would bet he does not shoot here.

piggybank04

Verified Member
id shoot it in a heartbeat, but i dont see anything wrong with making the ball and freezing to the one, its just not my style......

Island Drive

Verified Member
When your a 90% Er' on the cut with Zero chance of up/down scratching, the aggressive nature of this shot is even more comfortable....