WWYD - Shane vs Scott - Reversed

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Later in the match between Shane and Scott, the situation is somewhat reversed. This time Scott has the lead in balls and he's faced with the decision to shoot a more risky shot or not. He can shoot the pink 4 and try to get position on some other balls to finish the game, or he can take a more cautious approach. It's obvious that if he misses the 4, Shane probably could not get out from this position, but it's Shane...

WWYD here? Scott has the bottom right pocket.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
Later in the match between Shane and Scott, the situation is somewhat reversed. This time Scott has the lead in balls and he's faced with the decision to shoot a more risky shot or not. He can shoot the pink 4 and try to get position on some other balls to finish the game, or he can take a more cautious approach. It's obvious that if he misses the 4, Shane probably could not get out from this position, but it's Shane...

WWYD here? Scott has the bottom right pocket.
If I'm playing any normal human One Pocket player I'll just cut the ball in at pocket speed - it's not a hard shot - and I'd just accept the natural position that comes with the shot, to bank the 8ball next...95% likelihood, the most my opponent will get if I don't make it, is one ball.

- Ghost

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
Bank the eight but if there's a kiss there then just drive it out of there.
Is that a shot clock in the background?

lll

Verified Member
Yes frank
The Accustats make it happen 1p events have a shot clock
Player is allowed one extension if time is running out per game I believe

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Well, I'd bank the 8 in a heart beat. But Scott is certainly a big favorite to convert the cut on the 4. He might even cue it with inside english in order to either get below the 8, kick it from behind, or hit it straight on. Can't tell from the picture angle.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
look if you play the score you just knock the 8 away
shane cant run out the way the balls lay (at least to me)
the 4 is not that tough
i have to think a 90% make for scott (icbw)
shoot it and play for the bank on the 8.....:eek:....:D
if you shoot it to play the cue ball under the 8 (in case you miss)
play it with some speed so if you miss you dont leave a bank on the 4
me i think id shoot it and i am NOWHERE near scotts speed

wincardona

Verified Member
Maybe i'm seeing this wrong but I don't see a kiss here, not even close. Banking the 8ball looks to be the only reasonable shot available, much better than cutting at the 4ball.

Dr. Bill

Mkbtank

Verified Member
WWYD - Shane vs Scott - Reversed

Maybe i'm seeing this wrong but I don't see a kiss here, not even close. Banking the 8ball looks to be the only reasonable shot available, much better than cutting at the 4ball.

Dr. Bill

I agree doc on the kiss. No kiss.

John Brumback

Verified Member
The 8 might be dead on the kiss,looks like to me. The boy knows banks too:eek::lol John B.

beatle

Verified Member
i would shoot the 4 ball. the bank really needs to spin the cueball to be sure not to get a kiss as that can be a sell out with no gain.
with the 4 you may be able to bring the cue ball back for position and cover if you miss.

another option for a less skilled player might be to shoot the 6 ball in that upper corner and hook him behind the two balls. this way you get your three out balls in play.

1pwannabe

Verified Member

Dr. Bill
This is what Scott shoots, he soft banks the 8 at pocket speed allowing whitey to return to center table. He then knocks a ball out of play on Shane's side instead of trying to bank the 5, which could sell out something.

This match goes on a long time, Shane gets 2 more balls and does a good job moving balls into strategic positions to get more. But Shane eventually scratches and Scott gets the position back and wins this game. Scott shows a lot of patience in this game.

Island Drive

Verified Member
Bank the eight but if there's a kiss there then just drive it out of there.
Is that a shot clock in the background?
Looking closely at Scotts eyes, they are directed towards the eight ball with the perephial also, looking at the cuttable ball. Looks like he'll take care of the eight, because it's Shane.

beatle

Verified Member
just because it worked out doesnt mean he shot the right shot. i lean more towards he was tightening up and losing his confidence in shooting not to shoot the 4. so then maybe it was the right shot.

Cobra Kai

If I'm playing any normal human One Pocket player I'll just cut the ball in at pocket speed - it's not a hard shot - and I'd just accept the natural position that comes with the shot, to bank the 8ball next...95% likelihood, the most my opponent will get if I don't make it, is one ball.

- Ghost
Either you shoot a lot straighter than that hat you're wearing, or your road game is lagging balls to your hole. Laying that 4 in the jaws of your pocket is probably a little better than a coin flip for most normal humans. The other half the time you leave the chance of leaving a shot on the 8, followed by a possible bank shot on the 4, and even maybe the angle to bank the pinky for position on the up-table balls. All those maybes for a lag?

Seems crossing the 8 is the best option. It's seems like a free shot.