WWYD - Scott F vs You (again)

LSJohn

Verified Member
I like Doc's option with kicking first if that shot is doable
Dr. Bill
I think it's not available for a lefty, and a stretch for a righty. What scares me about it is that it has to be struck pretty firmly to get the bend, so several kinds of hits on the ball in Scott's pocket can send whitey into dangerous territory. (Besides, I almost never shoot the bender so I'd suck at it. :( :) )

bobt64

Verified Member
Depending upon the exact location of your CB, he can either put you back in the same place off the 7 or up table and back near your side pocket off the 15, or straight toward the rail by your side pocket off the 15; you're on a foul and he isn't.

I don't agree with everything Danny DiLiberto says, but I do agree with one thing he preaches: avoid putting your opponent on the wrong side of the stack (he says"never" and that's a little too strong, but almost never. For instance, the shot many are recommending here -- shoot the 2 and stick in the stack -- leaves opponent somewhat on the wrong side, but has both offensive and defensive potential and is easy to execute.)
Thanks, make sense.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
I think it should be allowed with a playing cue (it's a skill) but the reason it can't be outlawed is that it's impossible to enforce. CB leaves the table surface on lots of shots that have to remain legal, the most obvious being the off-the-table intentional while making opponent's ball. It's also getting airborne a little on many "normal" shots that are struck firmly.
Good point John...

I guess since my jumping skills are sub par I was trying to level the playing field against those sharp shooting 9 ballers who can jump and pocket balls with position hehe...

But to be honest, I guess I don't mind if they want to jump balls, I feel that its only going to end up in my favor in the long run if they don't know how to move well without jumping.

LSJohn

Verified Member
I guess I don't mind if they want to jump balls, I feel that its only going to end up in my favor in the long run if they don't know how to move well without jumping.
Yep, probably not going to be hit very precisely very often. However, I even use it offensively once in a while if I only have to jump over the edge of a ball, or make the OB jump over the edge of the ball. I can't say my record on these is more positive than negative, but it's close, and I think I'll get better the more I do it.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
I think it should be allowed with a playing cue (it's a skill) but the reason it can't be outlawed is that it's impossible to enforce. CB leaves the table surface on lots of shots that have to remain legal, the most obvious being the off-the-table intentional while making opponent's ball. It's also getting airborne a little on many "normal" shots that are struck firmly.
Very well said John, and absolutely true.

I remember Cliff Joiner jumping the entire stack with his playing cue one time against me. He was spotting me 8/4 and the break at the time so it didn't save him, but he got a standing ovation from everyone who saw the shot, including me! One of the most amazing shots I've ever seen.

I thought that this break was a tough one to escape, and really don't see any great shots. Shooting the 2 and sticking would probably be my choice and not hitting it very hard either, that 6 looks like it's coming back at the CB and jarring it loose wouldn't be the result I would be hoping for. I think it's a survivor shot, try not to sell out and see what develops on my next inning. Jmo.

baby huey

Verified Member
I think you can stick him in the stack by striking the two ball and moving a ball or two away from Scotts side. I don't see much upside in trying to take out the nine ball at this point because of poor angles for this shot. Scott would then probably fan the cue ball off the stack and put it back somewhere around where it is now. The angles for the nine ball take out may get better after he shoots safe.

LSJohn

Verified Member
I thought that this break was a tough one to escape, and really don't see any great shots. Shooting the 2 and sticking would probably be my choice and not hitting it very hard either, that 6 looks like it's coming back at the CB and jarring it loose wouldn't be the result I would be hoping for. I think it's a survivor shot, try not to sell out and see what develops on my next inning. Jmo.
Yep, at the table, seeing exactly where the 6 is going would determine how hard I'd shoot.

LSJohn

Verified Member
Scott would then probably fan the cue ball off the stack and put it back somewhere around where it is now.
If we are precise enough, there's a spot between the 1 and that reddish stripe next to it that would cut him off of the lower half of our long rail so he couldn't get back where it is now without going 3 rails.