WWYD? Reyes vs Frost 2016 DCC

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
Well it was an interesting situation Frost was in. What would you do here? Reyes has the right hand pocket as you view the screen and Frost has the left. :)

Attachments

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
I personally would have taken a foul leaving the cue ball in the hole to corner pocket at the top right of the table as you see it leaving distance and a bad angle that could sell out.

vapros

Verified Member
If you can leave the cue ball there on the short rail, and the 10 ball where it is,you have a good position. Bank the purple ball. Bank it softly and safely, or give it a whack toward the other two balls. Something lovely might appear. :heh

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
If you can leave the cue ball there on the short rail, and the 10 ball where it is,you have a good position. Bank the purple ball. Bank it softly and safely, or give it a whack toward the other two balls. Something lovely might appear. :heh
The 10 ball was pretty bankable, this view makes it appear closer to the rail then it is.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
WWYD? Reyes vs Frost 2016 DCC

I would go ask that guy on the left with the green shirt what to do 😉

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
Scott is obviously in a lot of trouble here. My initial thought is to thinly come off the left side of the four ball and bring the cue ball two rails up table approx. where Scott's hand is now. (right side off the four as we look at the image.)

I don't like leaving the cue ball anywhere along the foot rail because that leaves too many banking / trapping options for Efren. Taking a foul by lagging the cue ball along the head rail isn't going to work. Again, it leaves too many options open for Efren to stick it to Scott.

Tom

LSJohn

Verified Member
Scott is obviously in a lot of trouble here. My initial thought is to thinly come off the left side of the four ball and bring the cue ball two rails up table approx. where Scott's hand is now. (right side off the four as we look at the image.)

Tom
I have to assume you're right, Tom, but I would have said the best he could do with the CB was by Scott's left hand. Did you mean left or right? By his left hand would (I think) give Efren a play on the combo that would let him put the CB under the 10.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
I have to assume you're right, Tom, but I would have said the best he could do with the CB was by Scott's left hand. Did you mean left or right? By his left hand would (I think) give Efren a play on the combo that would let him put the CB under the 10.
John, I did mean his right hand. I see no problem getting the cue ball to run two rails toward his right hand, but even if he left it near where his left hand is, Efren is not shooting that combo. Even if controlling the cue ball is easier, any off center hit on the combo can leave cross corner banks which can cost him the game. His response will more than likely be a shot similar to Scott's four ball shot and push the ten along the foot rail in the direction of his pocket and the cue ball up table again.

Tom

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Well it was an interesting situation Frost was in. What would you do here? Reyes has the right hand pocket as you view the screen and Frost has the left. :)
How many do I need? I'm playing Efren, so I've got to take a risk because there's no way I'm grinding out a win. Jack up and hit the 2 ball firm and straight on, into the edge of that other ball (14 maybe?). All balls move towards my hole.

If I'm playing someone regular, I just thin the 4 and go to the footrail and end up by the opponent's pocket.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
How many do I need? I'm playing Efren, so I've got to take a risk because there's no way I'm grinding out a win. Jack up and hit the 2 ball firm and straight on, into the edge of that other ball (14 maybe?). All balls move towards my hole.

If I'm playing someone regular, I just thin the 4 and go to the footrail and end up by the opponent's pocket.
Cory, why do you short change yourself like that? Why would you think you can't out grind him by playing the proper shot? What do you think your chances are by jacking up and firing at those two balls in the hope of getting lucky? Not good I would think. I would think the odds are great that you will at a minimum, give up a good cross corner bank.

Don't panic and try to s**t out a win. Stay calm and play shots which have specific plans for all balls that get moved, including the cue ball.

Your shot of lagging softly at the four is a far better choice even if you do give up a straight back bank. At least that shot can be played with a plan where the response can be accurately anticipated.

Tom

Jimmy B

Verified Member

It's the final game of the match. Scott has five and Reyes has six. It was a good one. I saw the shot and heard all of Scott's reasoning. Tough spot...

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Cory, why do you short change yourself like that? Why would you think you can't out grind him by playing the proper shot? What do you think your chances are by jacking up and firing at those two balls in the hope of getting lucky? Not good I would think. I would think the odds are great that you will at a minimum, give up a good cross corner bank.

Don't panic and try to s**t out a win. Stay calm and play shots which have specific plans for all balls that get moved, including the cue ball.

Your shot of lagging softly at the four is a far better choice even if you do give up a straight back bank. At least that shot can be played with a plan where the response can be accurately anticipated.

Tom
That's pretty solid advice, thanks!

I can't promise that I'll always remember to follow it in the heat of the moment against a champion, but I can try.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
What a potentially treacherous place to be!
Efren you wizard!
Hit the 4 too thick, sell out the 2 or 14 or both, too slow of speed , sell out the {probably free} bank on the 14.
If Scott was playing good, he probably banked the 2 ball at his hole.
I would probably shoot thin off the 4 also but I really don't like the shot for some reason.
I guess because, several things could go wrong, but no matter how good I hit it, I am not helping myself, except to survive another shot.
{ Not that that's a bad thing!}

baby huey

Verified Member
I was front row in this thriller and for sure Scott was in a tough spot. No easy safe outs but I thought he chose poorly. I know why Scott thought about giving Efren the thin cut on the spotted ball because of the possible scratch off the ten ball but remember the score before the intentional scratch was 6/5 Efren. Why would you go back to needing 4 balls in this spot? If he wanted to take an intentional scratch, then at least push into and area where Efren wouldn't get the shot Scott left him. So, I would have gone off the two ball thin and push it close to the bottom rail and live with the results. I know Scott worried about leaving a cross corner bank but all the balls would have been in play and any mishap from Efren and Scott wins it. I'd chalk this one up to playing to the moment and not to playing to his strengths. There were at least a half dozen shots Scott could have chosen but going back a ball was not for me.